Thunk / Rattle in Door or Pillar - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 06:48 PM Thread Starter

Thunk / Rattle in Door or Pillar

I have an annoying thunk in either the door pillar or the door latch on my JK. This is the single most annoying thing that I have with my JK. I have adjusted and re-adjusted the door striker loop and sometimes it seems to help and within a couple of days itís back. Even though the thunk sounds like it's coming from the area of the shoulder belt adjustment I think it is actually the door latch in the door itself. I didn't really take notice until I went down a really bumpy dirt road and it sound like the doors were coming off.

I truly feel itís the door latch while driving on a bumpy road and holding the door open - no noise! Slam the door shut - thunk, thunk, thunkissed:

Any ideas or diagnosis? Sometimes I think the doors are going to rattle off.

I think I'll go and drink some more

Beach Runner,
2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4X4, Black with Khaki Interior, Magna Flow Performance Exhaust, K&N FIPK Kit, Hypertech Max Energy Power Programer, LT325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires, 18x9 Moto Metal Chrome Wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" Spacer System with Rubicon Express Shocks, PUREJEEP rear bumper with swing a way tire carrier,Woodgrain dash overlay, Husky Floor Liners, Neoprene Center Console Arm Rest, Door Sills. Security System:Glock 22

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 PM
Rock God

Mine does the exact same thing. The noise sounds like it's coming from about ear level. I've read that the fix is to take about 2 inches of electrical tape and wrap it around that striker loop to keep the door from rattling there. I haven't done it yet, so I can't say if it works from personal experience.

'07 Rubicon
post #3 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 07:07 PM
Rock God

Mine does the same and it drives me mad... I guess there is a new latch that mopar put out that is supposed to correct the problem. I remember seeing on the "other" forum. There are some part #'s for the latches I wrote down. I'll see if I can dig them up. If you find them before I do can you post them up as well?

Lifted by
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, JKS DC's, Skid Row Protected,
ProComp 7105, Kevlar MTR's,
Switchblade rear, Red Rock Fab stinger etc...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 07-29-2008, 07:44 PM
JKO Addict!

Door Rattle

I have this problem as well. Driver's door only. Rattle and squeak after driving over some rough terrain. Got used to the rattle so up until now just lived with it. Since I couldn't find any electrical tape in my highly organized garage, I used some duct tape. cut a 1/2"X3" piece and tightly wrapped it around the forward edge of the striker loop. Drove over a series of speed bumps several times without a rattle or squeak. I think it's a nice little fix instead of having to adjust or replace the latch. Thanks for this post. As far as I'm concerned problem solved. On to the next one. Beers to all of you
post #5 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 08:18 AM
TrailDuty.com

Try wrapping some electrical tape around the door catch. If it goes away your door and/or catch needs adjusting.
post #6 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 11:15 AM
Rock God

Well, it's official. I wrapped tape around the door latches and went for a ride. No more "thunk" noises from the doors. Now the rattling of the tailgate is all I hear and I dont think electrical tape will fix that.

'07 Rubicon
post #7 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 06:57 PM Thread Starter

Talking

Well, I wraped some electrical tape around the door striker loops and wa-lah the thunk has gone bye bye. It's amazing how a little home ingenuity can fix such a minor issue on such a sophisticated vehicle. Hopefully, Chrysler Motors will come up with a more permanent fix and share it with us. Thanks for all your help.

I'll buy the next round

Beach Runner,
2008 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4X4, Black with Khaki Interior, Magna Flow Performance Exhaust, K&N FIPK Kit, Hypertech Max Energy Power Programer, LT325/60/18 Nitto Terra Grappler Tires, 18x9 Moto Metal Chrome Wheels, Rubicon Express 2.5" Spacer System with Rubicon Express Shocks, PUREJEEP rear bumper with swing a way tire carrier,Woodgrain dash overlay, Husky Floor Liners, Neoprene Center Console Arm Rest, Door Sills. Security System:Glock 22

post #8 of 15 Old 07-30-2008, 09:33 PM
gcg

Miracle cure on mine, too.
post #9 of 15 Old 09-25-2008, 04:44 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Try wrapping some electrical tape around the door catch. If it goes away your door and/or catch needs adjusting.
Ditto, works great.

I believe in the four "G's"............God, Guns, Gold, Groceries.
post #10 of 15 Old 11-03-2008, 10:08 AM
Wheeler

Damn its not just my JK that does this..
heres me thinking something in the pillar was loose and I was gonna get the dealership to fix it

Guess I gots to go and get me some tape eh!!

Cheers
post #11 of 15 Old 11-03-2008, 10:12 AM
Rock God

tape didn't work for me.

lots of tape didn't work - just made the door hard to close.

i've adjusted the strikers 20 times or so and that didn't work.

i've replaced the striker plates and that didn't work.

i've bought and added an extra spacer behind the striker and that didn't work either.

it's driving me f'ing bananas.

and the thunk came back the very next day, the thunk came back, i though he was a goner, but the thunk came back, it just wouldn't stay away......it just wouldn't stay away......
post #12 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 12:49 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Don't feel bad. Somebody on the other forum took theirs to the dealer. They pumped the b-pillar full of insulation foam and the thunk was still there.

Ours does it on the driver's front door and there is noticeable wear (shiny spot) on the striker loop. We'll see what the tape does for us.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #13 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 02:42 PM
Wheeler

Before I tried the tape-thing, I talked to my Jeep dealer. He said there is some kinda special grease that they can put on/in the latch itself. I never took it to them to try that, cause my Jeep dealer is 40 miles away.

Food for thought, for those of you that have no luck with the tape/striker deal.

I believe in the four "G's"............God, Guns, Gold, Groceries.
post #14 of 15 Old 11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
Rock God

Garage
JKOwners rock

Once again this forum proves it tremendous worth! I've been suffering the same clunk for almost a year now. I put tape on the striker and problem solved!! Thanks Guys!
post #15 of 15 Old 11-05-2008, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beach Runner View Post
I have an annoying thunk in either the door pillar or the door latch on my JK. This is the single most annoying thing that I have with my JK. I have adjusted and re-adjusted the door striker loop and sometimes it seems to help and within a couple of days itís back. Even though the thunk sounds like it's coming from the area of the shoulder belt adjustment I think it is actually the door latch in the door itself. I didn't really take notice until I went down a really bumpy dirt road and it sound like the doors were coming off.

I truly feel itís the door latch while driving on a bumpy road and holding the door open - no noise! Slam the door shut - thunk, thunk, thunkissed:

Any ideas or diagnosis? Sometimes I think the doors are going to rattle off.

I think I'll go and drink some more
i went to the dealer for this problem.The grease in the latchs fix it.but for how long?hmmmm

~Richard & The Goddess~
Current Mods: 2.5 BB Teraflex Lift, 35" Nittos, 16"X8" MB Wheels, On-Board Air, Flo Master Exhaust, Power Inverter (800w), Evap Canister Relocation, WOODS S. S. relocation bracket, WOODS Rear Axle, Mopar Hitch, CB, Happy Bunny mud flaps!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode