How do I adjust the door handles? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 01:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How do I adjust the door handles?

The rear doors to my JK are slightly annoying. To enter through the rear doors you have to press the button all the way in plus a little bit to get the door open. My children (5 and 8 years old) can't open the doors themselves because of this, and other people always think the doors are locked. IS there a way to adjust this so the doors will unlatch with a normal door opening maneuver?

These are factory half doors that I bought from a member here. They are great, but this problem is slightly annoying. The problem is only with the rear doors. The front doors are fine. I took the panel off one today, inspected it a little, and decided I should post something here before going deeper. Anybody else had this trouble?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

David Tyler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 01:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I don't think there is an adjustment on those things. Since I had mine torn down I thought I would take some pics so folks can see what is in there.

The handle is held on from the inside by two bolts, one you have to pull a little black plug to get to and the other one you can get to by removing the three screws that hold the plastic door facing on. You can see that there is a little rod that comes out of the handle where it attaches to the door. There is no obvious adjustment in the door handle, there is a rod surrounded by a spring.

The rod pushes on the latch assembly

When the latch assembly is pressed in it pushes the rod with the green attachment upwards it is attached to another bar where the door latches. I didn't see anything to adjust in there, there is a spring assembly that places everything back where it goes when you release the button on the handle.

post #3 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 04:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

try adjusting the latch loop so that it would be alittle more loose? you would get more door rattle but it seems like it would relieve some pressure making it easier to open. i have no idea if that would help just thinking outloud

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 05:25 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post

Based on those pictures, you might be able to remove the push rod there, pack the plastic end cap there and then glue the rod back in. This would provide a little more length on the rod and make it easier to actuate the mechanical lever inside the door.

You'd have to make sure you don't extend the rod too far or it will always be holding the lever and make it like a hair-trigger. Just an idea. Thanks for the excellent pics, Mr.Ron!

It is what it is... So IT had better be damn good...
post #5 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 09:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

i think it has more to do with where the latch strikes and how much pressure is on the actual latch. being they're off another jeep it would seem to make sense. just my .02.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #6 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I would be just redneck enough to build up the surface on the latch assembly where the rod touches with some strips of duck tape. It wouldn't take much and it is easy enough to get to.

The latch assembly comes out after taking three torx screws out of the door face where it meets the latch bar on the body of the door frame. There is a single phillips head screw that holds the other end up. two bars connect the latch assembly to the inside door handle. Remove the three torx first then the screw while you are holding on to the assembly, with a little bit of wiggling it comes right out.
post #7 of 8 Old 04-17-2010, 09:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaman View Post
i think it has more to do with where the latch strikes and how much pressure is on the actual latch. being they're off another jeep it would seem to make sense. just my .02.
thats what i was thinking with my response

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #8 of 8 Old 11-29-2016, 05:57 AM

I have bad hands due to RA. My JK button pressure gave me tons of grief. Best I can tell there is no adjustments on the latch, but there is a tension spring inside the handle/button assembly itself. By removing the handles on my 2015 Rubicon we were able to access the button spring by removing the screws on the back of the handle. You can ether replace the spring with a lighter tension spring or just remove it. We removed the springs on mine, there seems to be no effect at all on locking or latching of the doors and is much less tension on the button. I've had mine this way for about a month and I'm extremely please with the function and ease of operation of the door latches.
Tailgate handle is a easy fix and can be accessed through tailgate vent, the doors are more difficult due to interior door panel and an additional interior cover inside the door itself. There are some videos on youtube to help you with door panel removals.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode