installing RK 2.5" stock lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

installing RK 2.5" stock lift

well, after a little more than a month, i finally got my RockKrawler 2.5" Stock Mod System

http://www.rockkrawler.com/ProductDe...tCode=JK25SM-4

now, the first thing i did was take measurements of how the jeep sits right now. it already has some 285/70R17 mud terrains, so its a little bit higher than stock...

i noticed i have a small difference between the drivers and passengers side. is this normal?? could it be because its parked on an uneven surface??

i measured from the floor to the bottom of the fender flare....

driver front 32 1/2"

passenger front 32 1/4"

driver rear 28"

passenger rear 28 3/8"

hitch 17"

so, on the front the drivers side is 1/4" higher, but on the rear the pasengers side is 3/8" higher... is this something to be concerned?? this is my first time working with suspension components or installing a lift kit on jeeps with springs...

thank you!

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....

Last edited by shu2kill; 07-06-2015 at 12:39 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:07 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

It is likely just fine. Make sure that your coils terminate in the front at the stop on the spring pad and that your coils terminate in the same place on both sides in the rear on the axle pad.

Remember that your gas tank is on the passenger side, so it is common to be a little lower on that side with a full tank of fuel.

Marcus

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:13 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx Marcus!!

on another note, on the instructions provided by RK, they dont mention how to set the adjustable track bar to center the front axle... i got these instructions on another post:

Quote:
"Track bar adjustment is pretty simple honestly. I mean ultimately its up to you and you can have it professionally aligned....or you take a tape measure to your driveway after you install the lift and do this:

-Drivers side front: Measure from the lowest fixed hard point on the body/frame...say the upper shock mount to a fixed point on the axle, say the hub face...or the C. Record that measurement.
-Passenger side front: Measure from the same fixed point on the body/frame to the same fixed point on this side of the axle
-Compare results and adjust the track bar accordingly

Or just do what a lot of us do, stick your thumb up, squint through one eye, and adjust side to side until your satisfied lol
so thats how i will do it once i get to that step... im beginning today and only working in the afternoons, so it will take a while...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:20 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

I usually put the whole thing together and get it back on the ground and put the track bar in with the help of a friend turning the steering wheel slightly to help me line up the holes at the axle.

I use a carpenter's level up against either tire and measure in to the same spot on the frame on both sides. If you're off 1/2" then adjust the track bar 1/4" in the direction it needs to go (shorter or longer). Always adjust half the distance you're off to center it.

Marcus

post #5 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:29 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
I usually put the whole thing together and get it back on the ground and put the track bar in with the help of a friend turning the steering wheel slightly to help me line up the holes at the axle.

I use a carpenter's level up against either tire and measure in to the same spot on the frame on both sides. If you're off 1/2" then adjust the track bar 1/4" in the direction it needs to go (shorter or longer). Always adjust half the distance you're off to center it.

Marcus

thanx, i guess ill do it as you mention, seems easy...

more or less whats the approx time it takes to do the installation??

post #6 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Don't freak out if you see your passenger side leaning lower that the driver when you have a full tank.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #7 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:36 PM
The Wheelin Man's Friend

Garage

There are a lot of variables. The 2.5 Stock Mod shouldn't take you too long. If you've never done something like this it'll probably take you 4 - 6 hours working slow. Maybe longer...it just depends on your tool set and skill level.

post #8 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 01:50 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiverCityOffroad View Post
There are a lot of variables. The 2.5 Stock Mod shouldn't take you too long. If you've never done something like this it'll probably take you 4 - 6 hours working slow. Maybe longer...it just depends on your tool set and skill level.
i thought it would take longer, but i read the instructions and it doesnt looks too complicated....

besides the basic hand tools, i have a floor jack, 4 jack stands, and tire blocks... i guess thats all i will need....

post #9 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 02:12 PM
JKO Addict!

I always like to tell people. The "lift" is front coils/bump stops and rear coils.
Once done everything else is installed at ride height.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 05:35 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx jkeeper, ill have that in mind....

i just came across what could be a somehow major issue.... i didnt knew which were the front and rear springs, so i did a search... the springs i got are labeled 04186 and 04187.... so i did a search and it appears these are 1.5" springs??? can anyone confirm??

http://www.offroadelements.com/rock-...ngler-jk-2007/

i dont even live in the US, and i waited more than 1 month to get the system and then i had to drive 4 hours one way to pick it up in Texas.... i really hope they didnt send me the wrong springs.....

post #11 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 06:12 PM
JKO Addict!

If you have a four-door yes.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
If you have a four-door yes.
yes, i have a 4 door...

so i got wrong springs???

post #13 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 06:27 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
Originally Posted by shu2kill View Post
i thought it would take longer, but i read the instructions and it doesnt looks too complicated....

besides the basic hand tools, i have a floor jack, 4 jack stands, and tire blocks... i guess thats all i will need....
I just installed this on my wife's jeep and turned out really nice, you might consider getting the rear trackbar bracket on the axle to bring the rear axle more centered or get an adjustable rear track bar. The rear bracket will need to be welded on
post #14 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 06:55 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
I just installed this on my wife's jeep and turned out really nice, you might consider getting the rear trackbar bracket on the axle to bring the rear axle more centered or get an adjustable rear track bar. The rear bracket will need to be welded on

do you have a pic?? i got the 1.5" springs and now im debating over wether or not to return them and get 2.5". a side shot of your wifes jeep would be great.

and yes, i do have the rear trackbar bracket and front adjustable trackbar...

thanx!!

post #15 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 06:56 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
yes, i have a 4 door...

so i got wrong springs???
The springs you have are 1.5" triple rate springs for a 4dr JK.

post #16 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 07:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Or 2.5 on a 2 door. Yes he got the wrong coils.
OP ..another option. You will get around 2" on a 4 door. How about adding 1/2" or 3/4 spacers all around ?

K

post #17 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
Or 2.5 on a 2 door. Yes he got the wrong coils.
OP ..another option. You will get around 2" on a 4 door. How about adding 1/2" or 3/4 spacers all around ?

K
that could work, as i already waited more than 1 1/2 month to get this, and its a 4 hour drive one way to pick it up....

so, i guess im installing this one and see how i like it... if i dont, ill look into getting spacers.... i would really prefer the 2.5" coils though, but i cant wait another 2 months...

besides, im not sure what RK will say about getting spacers on their lift kit, im pretty sure they mention against it on the installation instructions...

post #18 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 08:36 PM
JKO Addict!

I don't think so. Many people use small spacers to compensate for heavy loads.

post #19 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

im also in the process of fabricating a front bumper out of 3/16" steel plate, and it will have a M8000 winch on it, so if i get around 2" out of this lift, im pretty sure it will be less with the added weight.... a 3/4 spacer could be the best solution....

while im at it, is it mandatory to put longer bump stops??

post #20 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 08:45 PM
Rock God

Garage

Here's the exact same springs installed on my Sport with 35's.
Attached Images

post #21 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosted View Post
Here's the exact same springs installed on my Sport with 35's.

thanx! i will keep my 33s, and i know 1.5" is more than enough to fit the 33s, but i prefer the 2.5, i feel theres a lot of work involved, and also some $$$, for only a 1.5" lift...

your jeep looks really good though, thats more or less what i want for mine... its a DD/weekend warrior, thats why im keeping the 33s....

post #22 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 09:01 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
thanx! i will keep my 33s, and i know 1.5" is more than enough to fit the 33s, but i prefer the 2.5, i feel theres a lot of work involved, and also some $$$, for only a 1.5" lift...

your jeep looks really good though, thats more or less what i want for mine... its a DD/weekend warrior, thats why im keeping the 33s....
If you are sticking with 33's, then the 1.5's are perfect in my honest opinion. If you want to go 35's and keep your stock fenders uncut, then you might be better off with 2.5's or you can add a .75" - 1" spacer with the 1.5's and call it a day as well. Tons of options....

post #23 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 09:31 PM
JKowners Vendor

Quote:
do you have a pic?? i got the 1.5" springs and now im debating over wether or not to return them and get 2.5". a side shot of your wifes jeep would be great.

and yes, i do have the rear trackbar bracket and front adjustable trackbar...

thanx!!
Here is a pic, kinda of a bad photo with the shade but it's all I have on my phone. This is the 2.5 stock mod with stock tires.
Attached Images

post #24 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 09:36 PM
JKowners Vendor

I would not put spacers if you looking for something that will ride good, the main reason why I got the stock mod was so it would ride better than stock with the bilstien shocks. I was very happy with the lift after installing it with the ride and handling. If the funds don't allow for it then that's one thing but if you can build it right so you don't have to go back and do it again after a few years. I have the rk 3.5 x factor plus on my 2011 and don't plan on making any changes for a long time. Just my thoughts

Last edited by bigworm36; 07-06-2015 at 09:41 PM.
post #25 of 72 Old 07-06-2015, 11:52 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigworm36 View Post
Here is a pic, kinda of a bad photo with the shade but it's all I have on my phone. This is the 2.5 stock mod with stock tires.
thanx, that looks good.

but, is that a true 2.5" or do you have the same springs (1.5" for a jku) as i do?? thats the look i want on mine, plus the belly clearance...

i think ill just have to return these springs and get the 2.5", as someone said, its better to build it right now that im just starting...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode