Poor paint on my new JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 01:33 AM Thread Starter

Poor paint on my new JK

It looks like I may need to gather some info from others that have noticed poor paint work on the JKs 2007-2010. Primer is showing through around my hindges amoung many other places. I have looked at over 40 JKs all seam to have the same issue. It is difficult to notice on black and white but all clear coat colors show primer. Two body shop have told me over $9,000.00 to repair. any questions please contact me.
Thanks david
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 05:35 AM
Rock God

Any questions? OK, have you pulled the padding off your roll bars?

It is what it is, hit a couple mud holes and the light paint spots are harder to see. I will say 9000 is out right! You could just so the hinges with bed liner, I dunno.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #3 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 05:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

After sanding a set of half doors I got to see first hand how thin the paint is, you can really tell that it is about production over quality at the factory. Whatever robot they have painting needs a kick to the nuts (or bolts).

I say wait until it gets all scratched to hell before painting it.... might be more fun on the trail if you are looking for a reason to paint....

It is what it is and I bet it is more common (with all makes) that you think
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 06:00 AM Thread Starter

Being that I noticed it after 500 miles. They well be replacing the Wrangler, I need to go and order what I want.
Purchased it Dec 22 2010. If all who has a JK would complain maybe they would get the robot some training.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 06:12 AM
Wheeler

I would like to see some pics. I have a 2010 blue JK and I heven't notived any primer showing through. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places?
post #6 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 06:19 AM
Rock God

its for weight reduction

Seriously if its that bad and theyre actually taking it back then to you and hope you find the diamond in the rough that doesnt have light spots, and seriously, check under the roll bar padding, Mine fades from yellow to a nice grey/green and looks tits!

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman
post #7 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 06:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.RonGilbert View Post
you can really tell that it is about production over quality at the factory. Whatever robot they have painting needs a kick to the nuts (or bolts).
Very true. None of us bought our JK's due to the great paint job! But to be fair, you can go to every domestic car dealership in your area and you will find paint imperfections on new cars.

Go to any Ford dealership and I guarantee you almost every vehicle has orange peel. Production over quality.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 08:26 AM
Wheeler

Checked under my foam today. The color quickly turns from blue to the primer which is greenish brown. So I guess that's the way it's supposed to be?

David
post #9 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 09:43 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

My paint chips, scratches and get dirty all the time. It even dents and comes off when I run into stuff. Crappy cheep paint.

If it wasn’t so heavy, I'd Rino-line the whole thing.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #10 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 12:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IIA Lightweight View Post
. Two body shop have told me over $9,000.00 to repair. any questions please contact me.
Thanks david
what did you do add the 2 estimates together?

$9,000 paint jobs? that is some serious serious crack smoking BS

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #11 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 12:47 PM
Wheeler

How much would a repaint cost approximately? Just for middle of the road paint job.
post #12 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 04:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartilage View Post
How much would a repaint cost approximately? Just for middle of the road paint job.
how much does 2 cases of rustoleum spray paint cost at lowes?

also try talking with your local paint shops offer to do the prep work: taping, taking stuff off, sanding. i helped a buddy do all this on his truck and they charged him $500 to spray.

route #2 go get a HVLP paint gun. practice using it. get some paint. and do a kick ass custom paint job. <what i did on my scout. except i used rustoleum industrial paint. i call it a 5ft paintjob. looks great from 5ft away. im sure if i had used a better quality paint and spent more time on prep it would have come out better.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #13 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 04:58 PM
Granite Guru

Sheesh, just go out and enjoy the Jeep. Get it scratched. Jeeps are for using.

2008 JK Rubicon
86ish Formula Toyota
post #14 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 05:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

It's not a $100,000 sport ut. Nearly every newer car priced under $30K is gonna be the same way.

Granted a majority of the JK is painted after it was completely assembled, the Green Pearlcoat (or whatever it was called) looked pretty good. The single stage colors are slightly worse IMO. IIRC the only clearcoat colors are green and red, everything else is single stage paint.

If your looking in the corners, behind the tailgate hinges or under the rollbar padding, and you're displeased, go buy a different make/model because you're not gonna find a vehicle with a base price of $18k with a $10,000 paint job.

I'm not saying a JKU Rubi don't cost twice that and then some, but ALL JK's are going to be painted using the same process/procedure regardless of the "trim level".

edit: Hold the phone, you're not "whiteboy" are you???????

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.

Last edited by scottrock; 04-17-2010 at 05:20 PM.
post #15 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 08:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlMan View Post
post #16 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 09:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
Granted a majority of the JK is painted after it was completely assembled, the Green Pearlcoat (or whatever it was called) looked pretty good. The single stage colors are slightly worse IMO. IIRC the only clearcoat colors are green and red, everything else is single stage paint.
?
Actually thats not right, all the JK paint all have clear coat even the black which years ago was always single stage. The pearlcoats are still clear coated and are actually 3 stages, color, then the pearl, then the clear coat. Any pearl paint is very hard to color match.

I agree though take it out and scratch it

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"

Last edited by tkob1060; 04-17-2010 at 09:19 PM.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 09:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Holy fawk TK.... don't bother reading my write up on polishing black paint
post #18 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 09:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlMan View Post
That ain't the only place they cut costs. Little things like axle tube thickness, inner "C" uprights, brackets, interior quality, yada, yada, the list gores on. It's just the modern domestic auto industry. Don;t let it make you nutz, use it, enjoy it and get a BMW for a DD if you want some slick paint to look at.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-17-2010, 11:57 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubydak View Post
My paint chips, scratches and get dirty all the time. It even dents and comes off when I run into stuff. Crappy cheep paint.

If it wasn’t so heavy, I'd Rino-line the whole thing.
Rhino/Linex only adds about 20lbs, but thats just the interior, guess if you were to do the whole exterior, would probably be a total of about 45lbs in/out.

Just get rid of those extra useless doors to make up for the weight!!!

My sig is HUGE in Japan

Last edited by Jscwerve; 04-18-2010 at 12:00 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-18-2010, 12:18 AM
Granite Guru

The funny thing about this is that I ultimately decided AGAINST an SRT-8 Grand Cherokee to replace Joanie's 535i because of this very issue. The price they charge for that rig and they can't even paint it properly??? WTF? I noticed it near the rear control arm mounts that the paint just stops short. Did it on all three of the GC SRT-8's I saw. I know the paint is half-ass crap on my JK (yep, not complete coverage near hinges, paint bubbling, etc) I decided fawk Jeep and their crappy quality and now we are looking at the x5 and the Cayenne instead.
JEEP

2007 JK, 4.5" RE LA kit, ATLAS4spd, ARB rear w/ Superiors, Rubi front w/RCV axles, 5.38's, 40" KM2's, 18x10 Raceline Beadlocks, 1"BL, Poly Rockers, RR corners, PS fenders, etc...the list goes on.
post #21 of 21 Old 04-18-2010, 06:01 PM
Rock God

look at it as the perfect excuse to spray bomb it flat black or olive drab

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode