JKOwners Forum banner

Best bumper for the lowest price?

7K views 19 replies 12 participants last post by  ADay73 
#1 ·
I am looking at two options for a new front bumper. I am on a low budget, so I want to get some input and suggestions on what to do.

I am debating whether to cut my stock bumper to be a stubby bumper and and then a little stinger for the stock bumper to give it a better look, or to just spend a couple hundred dollars on a new bumper all together. I'm wondering if I should just save my money and by a more expensive bumper later, or if anyone can suggest a good quality but inexpensive bumper! I don't do too much heavy wheeling now, but I hope to in the future, just not sure how close that future is. Thanks in advance!

#2 ·
Do you have a welder or someone that does? If so, check out tab and slot. They have some bumper kits that are kinda do it yourself. I just got mine finished and put on today. It's simple to put together. I got the stubby without the fog light cutouts but here is a link to a youtube vid

#3 ·
I do not own a welder, nor do I know how to weld at all. From what I can think of, I do not know anyone with a welder or who can weld, but my dad might. Although, the last week or so I have been looking for welding classes near me and researched into a good beginner welder because I have been wanting to learn and this would be an awesome way to learn! A cool looking bumper, cheap, and get to work on it yourself; its perfect. I will definitely be looking into this. Any suggestions on a welder or anything? Also, if you could post some pics on here of yours when you get a chance, that would be awesome!

#4 ·
If you plan on keeping this Jeep for a while, save up and do it right. If it's just your high school vehicle, do the cheapest thing and have a good time with your money. Invest it. That's a whole lot better when you're 25 than a bumper you bought as a junior in high school.

#7 ·
I ran the cut stubby stock bumper for a while. Worked well,
issue i hit was the cost of a winch plate and end caps, paid for just over 1/4th of a new bumper with stinger , foglights, and winch mount.

here were my rough numbers
winch plate - 80$
light bar - 50$
vdp end caps - 70$

thats 200$ right there. Not sure of your situation, but figure out what your long term goal is for your jeep , and save up to achieve it if possible.

#8 ·
You said that's not your favorite setup, but I actually think that looks pretty good! And its pretty inexpensive, just almost feel like although it is cheaper than a normal bumper, it may be pricey for what you're actually getting. Like the look though, will look into it.

#15 ·
Permanent, but affordable and damn good looking and obsurdly functional.

#14 · (Edited)
I went with a minimalist approach of just a GenRight winch plate and a set of EVO D ring tabs. I had to buy tabs because I bought the plate in conjunction with a bumper. Sold the heavy steel bumper. So far I am happy with this and have winched several times including a stock ford exploder up "the stairs" at slick rock. I think you can get everything from them, including tabs, for like 125.

No pics handy but I'll take some and post later if you want. I plan to pull the winch and all apart for paint and touch up etc. you can see my setup in my vids if you want.

#16 ·
I vote the RC hybrid. It's basically just a winch plate with ends for the fog lights. Lightweight and functional, as long as you aren't looking to plow down trees with your front end.

#19 ·
After looking at all of them I went with someone on this forum that came highly recommended and his welds look amazing.

Vick from VKS Fab. I know Marcus from River City runs his bumper and I saw one locally here in Houston and ordered that same day. I have the V1 Winch bumper coming Tuesday :)

http://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=271066&highlight=vks

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.