JKOwners Forum banner

LED Light Bar questions

3K views 17 replies 5 participants last post by  Jonesy 
#1 ·
I really would like a light bar for my jeep, but I am not interested in spending all of that money on name brand ones like Rigid (nothing against the company or the product, just don't have the money.) I have been really looking into the EYourLife 52" LED Light Bar from amazon; I have seen lots of good things about it especially for its cheap price. Along with that I am looking at the GENSSI relay kit for it, along with the Daystar lower panel. I also am still trying to figure out what kind of brackets to get: looking at Rugged Ridge brackets or even possibly the EYourLife brackets. Any help or suggestions would be very much appreciated! Whatever it is, I am wiling to listen and learn!

Here are the items:
LED Light Bar - http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00F4MQJ5O?ref_=pd_ybh_11

Relay and wiring harness - http://www.amazon.com/GENSSI-Light-...e_p_img_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=0BKR0EVZKFDTKH8893Y3

Panel - http://www.amazon.com/Daystar-KJ710...=1435443071&sr=1-1&keywords=jeep+switch+panel

Brackets - Rugged Ridge or http://www.amazon.com/Eyourlife-Win...1-1&keywords=jeep+light+bar+mounting+brackets

See less See more
#2 ·
you will be fine with the cheap 59 dollar brackets you have listed...they fit nice with the 52 " light bar. i have the cheap ones and the 250 dollar poison spyder brackets( i got those when that was the only option years ago) both do the job.. just depends on how much you want to spend. :)

oh here is a cheaper light bar.. they get cheaper every day lol http://www.amazon.com/300W-Driving-Light-Truck-DC10-30V/dp/B00FH8P1DG

#3 ·
Wow! Didn't even see that cheaper light bar. They get so cheap that it makes me super nervous about buying it even though it has 76% five stars on amazon. Seems like you can't go wrong as long as you silicon seal it. Hoping the cheaper brackets would end up fitting well. Thanks for the input.

#4 ·
The only problem with the cheap light bars is some of the don't seal up all the way on the end caps. nothing a little silicon does not fix as well as putting a small packet of silicon beads in there incase a little moisture does happen to get past it. I've gotten all my lights from amazon and have had no problems with any of them.

#5 ·
the thing about the cheap LED bars is that they house the exact same diodes as the high-end, assembled in USA and wired in higher quality / sealed /"better" ones. You can remedy this with epoxy and liquid electrical tape but as far as lighting goes they are all basically CREE 3w or 10w diodes that work all the same .... sure, the Rigid or Baja is gonna be higher quality but are you relying on these for seeing you thru 1000 miles of Baja Norte high speed racing or are you using on a trail Jeep that will likely have the risk of them being stolen and/or damaged? I can easily replace my 20" eyeofyoulife eBay light bar if it gets damaged at under $100 ...they are even cheaper now....

many will disagree and say support American small business but they are buying the same lights at premium pricing that has upgraded housings. Mine has never leaked, btw....

#6 ·
Totally agree. As much as I would rather support an American business, paying for the "high end" light bars is just not practical. If I can buy pretty much the same product for 1/15 the price, why not do it? Glad to hear you like yours and that it hasn't leaked for you. Everyone seems to have good things to say about the cheap ones.

#8 ·
I'll take some picks tomorrow in the light. Ran a 4 gauge wire from my battery to a bussman relay fuse panel and use weather pack connection. from the fuse box ran 12 gauge wiring to the lights. don't get the cheap amazon relays, will start to make your engine compartment look like crap. bussman relay fuse block is the poor mans spod.

#9 ·
I never really looked into the wiring harness too much, just went off of what I saw on other threads. I know pretty much nothing about electrical systems and wiring so this will be new to me and a learning experience. I will definitely look into the bussmann relay's.

#12 ·
All do respect, buddy , but....wire-nuts are for your home/household current. Any jeep that sees trails or actual off-roading usage will want solder and heat-shrink at the least. You have that busman aux fusebox and are taking such great care of your components & then use a darn wirenut for connecting something under the hood?!!:suicide:

#11 ·
$48 brackets

http://www.amazon.com/E-Autogrilles...sim_263_3?ie=UTF8&refRID=1ZB4EZ6SEBSXZVRCPNX9

considering you are likelly or hopefully going to wheel your Jeep, getting $75 and $48 brackets is hard to beat. I have a similar setup (paid more) and no issues and tehy are super bright, no comparison with Ridgid lights, but again 1/10 of the price since you mentioned tight budget, and do the job. You can get the harness from Amazon for $15 with relay and switch.

#13 ·
lol. thats just a cap. i did not want a wire end hanging out in the wind. It has no power going to it. I have 2 more relays that can power stuff so i installed wires coming off incase i want to add something else, all powered connections are either weather pack sealed or soldered. I just have not been in the mood to go out and put some shrink wrap on the ends so i left it like that for now.

#17 ·
lol. thats just a cap. i did not want a wire end hanging out in the wind. It has no power going to it. I have 2 more relays that can power stuff so i installed wires coming off incase i want to add something else, all powered connections are either weather pack sealed or soldered. I just have not been in the mood to go out and put some shrink wrap on the ends so i left it like that for now.
hhaha....cool, you had me worried.....try some Liquid Electrical Tape someday; it is awesome stuff. Sorry I assumed....

#15 ·
That is is the ARB compressor. It does take up a lot of the room but i just could not bring myself to put it in the cab. I would have to rethink the setup if i ever went with a v8. though i doubt that will ever be in the budget. The relay box was for the lighting. The compressor comes with its own wiring to help you set it up. even comes with its own switches. its just a matter of getting it set up how you want it. I went with the M.O.R.E. mounting bracket for that and the relay panel bolted right to the front of it. Was pretty easy to get in though if you watch the install video its pretty straight forward. The fuse panel was for the lights/switches only. you can do it in steps too so that you keep the cost down as well which is nice.

#16 ·
I definitely like the idea of the Bussmann relay box, keeps it much more organized and easier for future installs. Just still not sure if I want to spend the money on it. I am debating whether it would be worth it right now to get something nice like that, or just rig up a harness in the engine compartment and try to make it look as neat as possible for now and if I do get a bunch more things, then maybe get a box.

#18 ·
no biggie. one of the things i actually like about the jeep guys is their attention to detail and most are not out to be a$$e$. Great idea. was doing a ton of work on it late at night with a 2 and 4 year old and used those in a pinch and it was one of those things out of sight out of mind.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.