Give me some lessons learned - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

Give me some lessons learned

New JK owner here. 2015 Manual Transmission and hard top. It is completely stock right now and i only have 200 miles on it. I have a bad habit of learning things the hard way when it comes to new toys.

I am trying to avoid that with my Jeep. If anyone has advice, tips, tricks, or other lessons learned, please share them with me. Anything at all when it comes to driving, maintenance, changing tops, tires, wheels, etc. What did you learn from your JK experience that you can share with me?

First oil change? Taking off the hard top? What to replace it with for the summer in NEPA? Anything at all that i need to know. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 07:50 AM
Wheeler

Don't let the door swing open when you disconnect the door strap. It will leave a nice dent in the cowl piece.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
post #3 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 08:05 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHRNG_BEAST15 View Post
Don't let the door swing open when you disconnect the door strap. It will leave a nice dent in the cowl piece.

Thanks! Exactly the type of thing i was looking for. Planning on taking the doors off as soon as my mirrors come in!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

When doing wiring for lights think far into the future and run all the wires for any future lights, much easier to run them once.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #5 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 08:25 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlov556 View Post
Thanks! Exactly the type of thing i was looking for. Planning on taking the doors off as soon as my mirrors come in!
roll the windows down first, then pull the doors

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 08:53 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
When doing wiring for lights think far into the future and run all the wires for any future lights, much easier to run them once.
And use relays.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #7 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:32 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by OHRNG_BEAST15 View Post

first week i got my jeep i had dents on both sides lol

2008 jku rescue green metallic
Warn XD 9000 with Mopar front bumper
rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
a few other after market parts
US WVIANS ARE A LITTLE DIFFERENT THEM THERE CITY SLICKERS
post #8 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:35 AM
Granite Guru

also make sure ur strap aint dry rotted or anything i had mine one break on me leaving a bigger dent then there already was.

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #9 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:37 AM
Granite Guru

also drill a hole in the bottom of the mirrors. not sure if they fixed the problem or not. but water gets trapped in them

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #10 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:39 AM
Granite Guru

cut open a old pillow taking the stuffing out and shove it in ur sound bar make a good bit of difference. twist ur rear view mirror upside down. if u manage to strip a lugnut dont worry u just stripped the cover. take the cover off and ur on ur way. the two screws in ur freedom top dont put them back in theres no need for them. unless your driving with top off and just having the freedom panels on

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer

Last edited by savagemark2; 06-25-2015 at 09:52 AM.
post #11 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemark2 View Post
cut open a old pillow taking the stuffing out and shove it in ur sound bar make a good bit of difference. twist ur rear view mirror upside down. if u manage to strip a lugnut dont worry u just stripped the cover. take the cover off and ur on ur way. the two screws in ur freedom top dont put them back in theres no need for them. unless your driving with top off and just having the freedom panels on
The sound bar thing is accurate, but the two knobs thing isn't completely true. They do help keep water out by pulling down on the top panels to the rear portion to seal it better.

What are your plans? Wheeling it at all? If you do plan on wheeling, join a local club. Find one that fits your personality and ambition. Then, when you go wheeling, learn. Listen to the spotter, with windows down. Driving offroad is a lot different than driving on road, so be patient, don't go beyond your comfort zone and go with experienced guys. Best way to learn how to wheel your area without learning the hard way.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #12 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:07 AM

Get you some .99 C clamps from the hardware store. I got 4 heavy duty ones and put one on each corner of the hard top (where the screws normally go), It's way easier/quicker than keeping a scewdriver around for 6 screws.
post #13 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:08 AM
JKO Addict!

Don't be cheap. Buy the right stuff the first time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #14 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:44 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Frequently check to see if your headlight liquid level sensors are still working. Replace fluid as needed.
and thanks for your service __________________________________________________ __________________________________________

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015

Last edited by RubiCajun; 06-25-2015 at 10:49 AM.
post #15 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
The sound bar thing is accurate, but the two knobs thing isn't completely true. They do help keep water out by pulling down on the top panels to the rear portion to seal it better.

What are your plans? Wheeling it at all? If you do plan on wheeling, join a local club. Find one that fits your personality and ambition. Then, when you go wheeling, learn. Listen to the spotter, with windows down. Driving offroad is a lot different than driving on road, so be patient, don't go beyond your comfort zone and go with experienced guys. Best way to learn how to wheel your area without learning the hard way.
I dont have plans yet. I imagine I will do some off roading once i break it in and it looses that new car smell. PA has tough inspection requirements, especially when it comes to tires, so I imagine i will keep the road tires on it until they wear out.

I am a big gun guy and now that I have this thing I imagine i will be dumping a ton of money into it like i did with my gun collection. But right now, I am just enjoying the ride. Cant wait until we have a few decent days in a row so i can take the top and the doors off.
post #16 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Rock God

If your Jeep has MT or aggressive AT tires make sure you rotate them every 3000 miles.
post #17 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 10:46 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

figure out your upgrades based upon need detected from using the Jeep; don't upgrade because you 'see others with same mod/part' or because you feel a compulsion to . Justify the upgrades as you require them and replace because it will assist you in tackling whatever it is you have tried and cannot accomplish with it as it is equipped . Service the thing per the manual intervals for fluids and maint... and , as nlgrav182 stated , ya get what ya pay for ...

<edit: buy a few of these and stash them in glovebox :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141701486464?nav=SEARCH >

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 06-25-2015 at 10:51 AM.
post #18 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 12:01 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by savagemark2 View Post
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #19 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Granite Guru

When taking hard top off make sure you set on something off the ground or youll have fun getting it oss the ground and it will ruin rubber seal on bottom. get a star socket set for top and door screws.

2014 jk oscar mike edition. Manual. 3.5" Rubicon super flex suspension lift. 35" AT tires 17" method rims. Body armor doors. Smitty built MOD front bumper. Smittybilt 9500 lb winch, ARB twin compressor, Spod with gauge, D2 LED's.
post #20 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 12:19 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
figure out your upgrades based upon need detected from using the Jeep; don't upgrade because you 'see others with same mod/part' or because you feel a compulsion to . Justify the upgrades as you require them and replace because it will assist you in tackling whatever it is you have tried and cannot accomplish with it as it is equipped . Service the thing per the manual intervals for fluids and maint... and , as nlgrav182 stated , ya get what ya pay for ...

<edit: buy a few of these and stash them in glovebox :
http://m.ebay.com/itm/141701486464?nav=SEARCH >
^This. Take your time, figure out what you want to do with your rig and do your research. Wheel/enjoy your rig now and the more you wheel, you'll get a better understanding of what you'll actually need.
post #21 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 12:54 PM

If ur going to be adding items needing a switch/relay, go ahead and spring for an sPOD type switch. Can get in either 6 or 8 switch versions. You run wires through the firewall only once and ur done!
post #22 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 01:21 PM
JKO Addict!

Big tires bend axles

Also:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...hlight=learned

post #23 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 08:40 PM
Granite Guru

forgot to mention when ur fenders fade use some black leather shoe dye to restore them heck of a lot cheaper then the other crap sold out there last maybe 2 months or so. with the shoe dye u only got to apply maybe twice a year depending on how bad winter is and stuff

rancho 2 inch lift
skyjacker stablizer
post #24 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Don't poke a bear with a stick.

“It isn't so much that liberals are ignorant. It's just that they know so many things that aren't so.”― Ronald Reagan
post #25 of 38 Old 06-25-2015, 09:08 PM
Granite Guru

When changing your oil, don't drop the drain plug in the funnel. It will plug up the funnel and you will have 6 qts of oil on the garage floor.

(My oil catch can opening wasn't big enough, hence the funnel.)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode