School me on transfer cases - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 11:52 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to oneleggedsheep
School me on transfer cases

Threw my man card away and went to an autoshop and he found that the clicking noise I've been hearing at 15-25 mph is coming from the transfer case. My jeep's only got ~27k miles on it and has a tf 2.5 lift but I don't feel like wasting my time and money at a dealership when I could do fix/replace it myself.

From what I've been browsing... it seems like a 2 day solo job. But, how difficult would it be? Anything I should take note of? More importantly, should I even be driving on it?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Fairly easy job. Expensive, but easy. Make sure the replacement x-fer case came from the same trasmision doner vehicle (auto to auto etc). The input shaft from the auto and the manual are slightly different. other than that it should bolt right up if it is a stock replacement.

Drain the fluid before you drop it as it will make it much lighter.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:14 PM
Wheeler

why not just have the dealer fix under warranty?

I DON"T GET DRUNK........I GET AWESOME!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Can you find an aftermarket that might be better than the stock but work the same. If you're planning on doing upgrades this could be the moment you've been waiting for.

ATLAS 2??????? twin stick that bad boy

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:47 PM
Heat'n and a beat'n...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWREVER View Post
Can you find an aftermarket that might be better than the stock but work the same. If you're planning on doing upgrades this could be the moment you've been waiting for.

Thats what i would do.

corey d

corey d
2008 JEEP...
post #6 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 12:59 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWREVER View Post

Thats what I would do.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 01:02 PM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
Thats what i would do.
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Thats what I would do.
x20! A twin stick would make all the cool kids at Project-J-Gay cream their shorts.... never will you be presented with a better time to upgrade.

Those three guys above know what they are talking about Willis!
post #8 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 04:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NVRSTUCK View Post
why not just have the dealer fix under warranty?
Cause dealerships around my area are douchers and would probably charge me up the butt for labor even if the 8 ball they shook said it's under warranty.

I think the most cost effective thing to do is attempt a diy transfer case rebuild. First thing to do I suppose is check out exactly wtf is up with it..
post #9 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 05:08 PM
Administrator

Garage

I don't think its your T-case.

I had a click that 2 different mechanics said was coming from the T-case... You would have sworn it was the t-case... nope.. it was a really loose control arm telescoping a ticking sound through the t-case. It went as far as a new case being ordered before it was found not to be the problem.

I would have a second opinion done.. the t-cases used in the Wranglers both Rubi and non-Rubi do not have a high failure rate AFAIK. Only the little plastic shifter piece is a known problem.

If in fact it is a T-case failure, replacing it isn't hard.. just cumbersome, and expensive.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #10 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by HITMONEY View Post
I would have a second opinion done.. the t-cases used in the Wranglers both Rubi and non-Rubi do not have a high failure rate AFAIK. Only the little plastic shifter piece is a known problem.
Was the ticking noise you were hearing constant? Cause I can hear mine everytime I got around 15-25mph starting at 1.5k rpm... I'll def get a 2nd opinion before I do surgery on the jeep.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneleggedsheep View Post
Was the ticking noise you were hearing constant? Cause I can hear mine everytime I got around 15-25mph starting at 1.5k rpm... I'll def get a 2nd opinion before I do surgery on the jeep.
Mine was just like that.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #12 of 20 Old 04-14-2010, 07:04 PM
Rock God

I'll say it. Puttin' in the Atlas four speed kicked my ass. Took me four days and in the end I had to round up my neighbor to help me stab it. Have a good jack, I borrowed a friend's motorcycle lift. Those fuckers are heavy and akward. Pick up a stubby ratchet wrench with a flex handle. I found one at NAPA for under $20. Those two top bolts are tough to deal with otherwise. I'm not trying to talk you out of this. Do it! You'll love the hell out of an Atlas if you get it. Just want to give another take. Don't get discouraged if it doesn't go fast. Now I did mine in an unheated garage that never got above freezing which didn't speed things up. Plus it was one of the first JK four speeds to go out which only added to the experience.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #13 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 06:08 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

So I checked out the transfer case, noticed there was a little bit of a leak going on... it doesn't seem that bad, but there were oil droplets on the skidplate underneath it.

But anywho, it's worse... it doesn't even need to get up to 15mph or above 1.5k rpm to make the noise. I duct taped my cell underneath and backed out of the driveway with 4wd on and the sound was worse than it was on 2wd when turning. Below is the video:

YouTube - transfer case noise

I'm pretty certain some gear or chain or gremlin isn't feeling alright in the transfer case.
post #14 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 06:23 AM
Slow and Low

Quote:

I had a click that 2 different mechanics said was coming from the T-case... You would have sworn it was the t-case... nope.. it was a really loose control arm telescoping a ticking sound through the t-case. It went as far as a new case being ordered before it was found not to be the problem.

If in fact it is a T-case failure, replacing it isn't hard.. just cumbersome, and expensive.
I agree. VERY rare. Especially with such low miles.
Mine did the EXACT same thing. Kind of a rotary clicking, like cards in your spokes. The first time was when my stock front driveshaft started crapping out. The second time when my JE Reel rear driveshaft started to crap out (centering ball).
I have replaced my shafts completely with better ones... and the clicking is completely gone. Never touched the t-case.
post #15 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 07:57 AM
Rock God

Garage

Project J-Gay!!

I Love This Place!

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchlayer View Post
I sometimes miss 70's bush
post #16 of 20 Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM
Administrator

Garage

I agree, the sound is pretty bad... if it were me I would start the process of elimination..

Disconnect the rear drive shaft, put it in 4wd and see if it makes the sound.

If it does, do the same for the front and see what happens.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #17 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
I agree, the sound is pretty bad... if it were me I would start the process of elimination..

Disconnect the rear drive shaft, put it in 4wd and see if it makes the sound.

If it does, do the same for the front and see what happens.
Hit you're like Ms Cleo of the JKs.

I disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove around the block in 4wd.. no more clicking. But there was some slightly new noise as well... maybe it's the yoke on the transfer case to the rear drive shaft?

Also should add that I didn't remove the drive shaft from the rear axle, I just kinda had a bungy cord going across and laid it on that - maybe that's what I was hearing.

Maybe it's time for an upgrade? Been looking into a Tom Wood's 1310.

New to this diy mechanic thing, learning all about it as I'm going lol... sorry if I butchered any terminology.

Last edited by oneleggedsheep; 04-16-2010 at 03:10 PM.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 04:08 PM
Rock God

Quote:

I disconnected the rear drive shaft and drove around the block in 4wd.. no more clicking. But there was some slightly new noise as well... maybe it's the yoke on the transfer case to the rear drive shaft?

Also should add that I didn't remove the drive shaft from the rear axle, I just kinda had a bungy cord going across and laid it on that - maybe that's what I was hearing.

New to this diy mechanic thing, learning all about it as I'm going lol... sorry if I butchered any terminology.
I have a pair of TW Drive Shafts and absolutely no regrets. Nice Detective work. I still like the Atlas 2 idea though, maybe that's cause I wanna get one....

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #19 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 04:54 PM
Administrator

Garage

Quote:

Good on you man!!

I am glad to hear it wasn't the T-case, but I kinda already knew that being the Mrs. Cleo of JK's.. LOL!

The T-Case is probably the last thing in the drive line I would worry about failing.

°lllll°

Facebook Page

YouTube Channel
post #20 of 20 Old 04-16-2010, 08:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

EXTREME 4x4 on spike tv tommorow monring.

its an episode all about transfer cases

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode