Interesting set of issues... Heard they might be connected. Thoughts? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 06-22-2015, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Interesting set of issues... Heard they might be connected. Thoughts?

2010 JKU Mountain Edition (Sport)

So the other day I was driving around with the woman and she decided she needed some wine- stop at the liquor store and pick some up. Hop back in the jeep and back out of the spot, as I'm pulling forward I get a check engine light. Drive it home and pull 2 codes with my flashpaq; P0480- and P0481-.

So I check it out on google and I haven't gotten much information from that. I cleared the codes and haven't had any trouble yet- Drove it 190 miles today and no issues so far, but haven't had it sitting in traffic with the a/c on or anything taxing.

While googling I saw somebody say something about having this issue combined with the HVAC on/off lights not working.

Next issue, when I bought my Jeep the A/C, Recirculate, Defrost lights did not turn on when I turned on any of these. They just don't turn on, the A/C turns on when I hit the button, but no lights.

Are these related? Any advice for either issue separately or together? Is my TIPM Borked???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 06-22-2015, 06:34 PM
Rock God

Here is some info for the codes you have:

P0480-COOLING FAN 1 CONTROL CIRCUIT

P0481-COOLING FAN 2 CONTROL CIRCUIT

When Monitored:
With the ignition on. Battery voltage greater than 10 volts.

Set Condition:

The PCM is requesting the TIPM to turn on the Cooling Fan On and it is not operating. One Trip Fault. Three good trips to turn off the MIL.

Possible Causes

CAN C BUS FAILURE

ENGINE COOLANT TEMP SENSOR DTCS SET

COOLING FAN CONTROL CIRCUIT DTCS SET IN THE TIPM

POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE (PCM)

2008 Unlimited Rubicon Automatic
post #3 of 4 Old 06-22-2015, 11:08 PM
JKowners Vendor

Engine coolant temperature and AC condenser pressure are sensed by the PCM and sent to the TIPM over the can bus. P0480,1 are PCM codes indicating the fans is not coming on as instructed.

The trigger side of the low and high speed relays are grounded by the TIPM. If the fan is commanded on and there is voltage at the TIPM trigger wire odds are the TIPM is bad. If your TIPM is bad you may have to get in line, hundreds are on backorder depending which one you have.

Generally AC will be disabled with a P0480 current. Of coarse there are lots of other issues that could cause your problem. 2010 did not use a can bus HVAC controller like 2011, it uses a multiplex signal to the cab module for AC control.

MoTech
725-502-8507

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 06-23-2015, 10:51 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoTech View Post
Engine coolant temperature and AC condenser pressure are sensed by the PCM and sent to the TIPM over the can bus. P0480,1 are PCM codes indicating the fans is not coming on as instructed.

The trigger side of the low and high speed relays are grounded by the TIPM. If the fan is commanded on and there is voltage at the TIPM trigger wire odds are the TIPM is bad. If your TIPM is bad you may have to get in line, hundreds are on backorder depending which one you have.

Generally AC will be disabled with a P0480 current. Of coarse there are lots of other issues that could cause your problem. 2010 did not use a can bus HVAC controller like 2011, it uses a multiplex signal to the cab module for AC control.
I haven't had any issues with overheating or the fan not kicking on, and the A/C has never quit working. Are either of these related to the HVAC buttons/lights not turning on or was that bunk? Any idea what a TIPM costs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode