Bestop Headliner - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 04-13-2010, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Bestop Headliner

I just noticed that Bestop has a headliner available for the soft top JKs.

http://www.bestop.com/index.php?s=83

Does anyone have any experience with this product for either the JKs or older Wranglers? My issue isn't so much the heat, but trying to get some more sound insulation to reduce wind noise at highway speeds.

Any feedback from somebody who has or had one would be most welcome!

Thanks, Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 06-01-2010, 07:57 PM

Looking to get the same thing for my 2010 JK 4 door. Did you ever buy it?
post #3 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

No, I've been hoping for somebody else to be the test case. I read one review that stated they noticed some temperature insulation, but not a lot of sound reduction.

I'm also concerned if there is any interference when you fold the top. It is enough of a pain to properly accordian the top with one person. My concern is that this will make it even more stiff and cumbersome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 01:06 PM

I agree. I am also concerned if this headliner by any chance increases the possibility of water entry.
post #5 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I looked at the installation instructions for the 2-door. I don't see an issue with water, but you do have remove the header bar and insert the liner and reinstall the header bar.

I suppose if that distorts the header bar you could have an issue, but I don't think it is that likely.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-03-2010, 01:19 PM

That header bar I hear has enough trouble on its own;-)
post #7 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 06:20 AM
Wheeler

I bit the bullet and bought one, hope to get it on this weekend
I will report back on how it works

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
35 MT/R with Kevlar, 2.5 Spring + 1.25 BL RC lifts, RR Bumpers and Armor
post #8 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 06:23 AM

Can't wait to hear back. Tell us how much noise it reduces and if the AC actually cools the car......oh.......and if you can take the top down.

What soft top do you have now?
post #9 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 AM
Wheeler

Factory
I run most of the time topless and doorless, but the wife says I have to put them back on when I bring the twins home from the hospital.
thought I would try this to see if I could keep it cooler for them.
I am not real good at slowing down and taking pics when I am installing something, but I will try to get a few along the way, along with it folded and fully up.

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 06:59 AM

I love going with top down and doors off but have 3 kids and my wife says the same thing. We have a 21 mth old that is in a car seat and she does not want him in the sun. So I installed his stroller sun screen cover on his car seat to block out the sun and allow me to go with the top down;-)
post #11 of 16 Old 06-18-2010, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

Ok got the package
it is a little thinner than I thought it would be, almost looks like it is more to dress up the inside of the soft top
that being said, it does look very nice
I think it will provide some sound dampening, and it should give a little insulation, if nothing else from the air gap between it and the top.
I will install it tomorrow morning when it is not so hot outside

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
post #12 of 16 Old 06-19-2010, 07:53 AM
Wheeler

Ok first of all, you cann't fold this back without unsnaping the side straps, at least not that I culd figure out. I am nursing a torn rotator cuff, and i was getting too sore to continue trying. but it will fold up into the soft top without too much added bulk.
Several things I am not real happy about. the rear section has nothing to hold it side to side. I had to mess with the straps to get it smooth...not too sure it will stay that way, as started you have to undo the front side straps to fold it back, and it comes unvelcroed from the front bow when you fold it back. I will do a road test later today to see if it is good for anything besides dressing up the interior.

some install pics

take the screws out of the rear (center) bow

take the screws out of each side of the header and undo the front edges

unvelcro the forward bow

install velcro on the header. note there is a groove that it lines up against, you will start on the first rib, not the edge

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
post #13 of 16 Old 06-19-2010, 07:56 AM
Wheeler

install double sided velcro to the front bow note it attaches to the front (fuzzy) side of the loop

velcro strip only holds the center rear of the front section to the bow, the velcro goes in the center of the bow, do not start it at the edge

I wrapped the end strap around the webbing to try and keep the rear section tight

it does look pretty

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
post #14 of 16 Old 06-19-2010, 08:28 PM
Wheeler

Ok I am fairly impressed with the insulation properties 104 today and you could tell a difference in the radiant heat
I think it may have had some sound dampening properties, but like I said I run topless and doorless most of the time, no carpet, and the 1/2 doors, so it is hard to tell for me

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
post #15 of 16 Old 06-20-2010, 01:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for taking the time to post up your thoughts.

I'm still on the fence. The 2007 top has enough stuff to unfold and unhook to take down. I'm not sure I want one more thing to unvelcro.

Do you have to unvelcro anything to use the sunrider option on the top? Or do you see an interference problem there?

Regards, Tim
post #16 of 16 Old 06-22-2010, 07:57 AM
Wheeler

there is a strap that snaps on each side, as near as I can tell that is all that will have to be undone to fold it back. Right now I can't put my arm up, so I can't put the top down, but I do not see any interferance issuse.
I am pleasantly surprised with how much radiant heat it blocks, there are some design issues that Bestop should address. one is that the adhesive on the velcro does not hold up to 104 degree heat, so I am going to pop-rivet it in place.
second they should have made it wider in the back so that it would have set on top of the strap that runs between the bows.
ths snap straps in back should be aligned so that they fit in the slot on the corner brace.
lastly there should be some stiffeners added, and they should be placed to match the folds when you put the soft top back.
the product needs some tweaking before I could recomend it out right, but I am impressed with the heat blocking abilities.
one more side note, it might prevent the condesation showers some of us experiance in the cooler months, but it will be a while before I can test that theory

2007 Unlimited X
1/2 Doors
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode