Driving with Doors Removed - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 10:36 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Driving with Doors Removed

QUESTION: Is it legal to drive on public streets and highways with the doors removed?

Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 10:38 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by calemasters View Post
QUESTION: Is it legal to drive on public streets and highways with the doors removed?
Only if the vehicle is manufactured with removable doors. So yes, take the doors off your jeep, but leave them on your sports car.

fnord
post #3 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by oZmonKey View Post
Only if the vehicle is manufactured with removable doors. So yes, take the doors off your jeep, but leave them on your sports car.
Thanks!

Allen
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

I've heard of some people getting hassled for not having the driver's side mirror. Just depends on the law in your State.
post #5 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:10 AM
Granite Guru

driving with the doors off is awsome, however if your like me at all you will hate driving without side mirrors unless you already relocated them. my relocation brackets will be on order very soon, untill then i will probably leave the doors on for the time being

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:11 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calemasters View Post
Been a little debate about this in PA lately. The way the inspection code reads, if your vehicle came with doors, they have to be on the vehicle when it's inspected, and since you're expected to maintain all inspection standards while driving, it's technically illegal to drive without doors.

I know a guy in the local DA's office, and he recommended leaving the doors on, but that could be because he's seen how I drive.

That being said, my entire family are Jeeple, and not one of us has ever been pulled over for going doorless.

post #7 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i will say that driving for 3 hours topless and doorless on the interstate doing 65+mph is very tiring.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #8 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:16 AM
Granite Guru

i even drive on base with the top and doors off. the airman at the gate just look at me funny then check my id and let me go on to work. i think those guys are confused anyway.

04 Unlimited
12 JKUS Rock Lobster
post #9 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 11:58 AM
Wheeler

Garage

It probably wouldn't hurt to stop at a cop shop and ask the person at the desk. You could also check the vehicle code for your state and attempt to muddle through their jargon to figure it out. You can try it from this link. I'd expect that you'd get more attention for lack of mirrors than doors.

Maybe if you put UPS or FedEx on the side of your Jeep, no one would notice.

2010 2-door, Dark Charcoal, 6-speed Rubi
post #10 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:03 PM
Wheeler

in texas it is only required to have 1 rear facing mirror so i go topless and doorless but it does suck not having the side mirrors

08 4 door
Poison spyder body armor Woods muffler/evap relocation kit
Benchmark dual battery tray Superchips tuner
95 yj 4 in lift 33's
post #11 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post
in texas it is only required to have 1 rear facing mirror so i go topless and doorless but it does suck not having the side mirrors
Pretty sure it's the same here in RI. I've run doorless quite a bit in the last 2 years and never been pulled over. I just recently did the Rugged Ridge mirror relocation kit because it was given to me an an X-mas gift. Works decent. But with the doors back on the passenger's side mirror is almost useless. BUt at least i won't get stopped for not having mirrors in another state.

'08 Red Rock X, 2 dr., 6 speed. Teraflex 2.5BB 4dr. Rubi Springs, Bilstien 5100 Shocks and Steering Stabilizer, Rubi Rock Rails, 15" Street Locks, BFG AT tires 35x12.50, Hella Black Magic Off Road Lights Windshield Mounts, Skid Row Front Skid Plate, Rockhard evap skid, Custom Stock Stubbied Front Bumper w/ Handicap bathroom grab rail and Home Brew D-ring mounts with 10,000lb D-ring shackles..Banks CAI, MBRP Stainless Catback
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #12 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:08 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
i will say that driving for 3 hours topless and doorless on the interstate doing 65+mph is very tiring.
No worse than doing the same thing on a motorcycle.
post #13 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:09 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by 08BLACKJK View Post
Yeah but you can always get the mirror kits or something similar and mount them. I liked the motorcycle mirror mod... Where ya just mount the harley mirrors in the door mounts. Works and makes ya legal.

It is what it is... So IT had better be damn good...
post #14 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:12 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
No worse than doing the same thing on a motorcycle.
Unless it's mid-50 degrees, raining and your 7/8 hour ride to Pittsburgh from Chicago turns into an 11 hour ride without a rain suit. At least the Jeep has heat.

post #15 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:17 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDozarian View Post
Yeah but you can always get the mirror kits or something similar and mount them. I liked the motorcycle mirror mod... Where ya just mount the harley mirrors in the door mounts. Works and makes ya legal.
Only one rear mirror is required in PA, but I snagged some harley mirrors on the cheap, so I figured WTH?

post #16 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Harley mirrors work like a champ! Several styles/finishes to choose from and they screw right into the upper hinge hole. Just be sure to either get just a drivers side or pick up the longer ones. The pass side shorties can't be seen from the drivers seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #17 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 12:54 PM
Granite Guru

Can anyone post a pic of their doorless Jeep with motorcycle mirrors installed? Please?
post #18 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:00 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Webhead View Post
Unless it's mid-50 degrees, raining and your 7/8 hour ride to Pittsburgh from Chicago turns into an 11 hour ride without a rain suit. At least the Jeep has heat.
Ah- been there! Started out in 75 degrees, the return trip had a front move thru. Torrential rain, 50 degree, no rain suit. Had to stop at Walmart and buy new clothes, jackets, boots, thermals, gloves... And then it started friggin snowing! 6 hour ride home took 11 hours
post #19 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:09 PM
Granite Guru

lately it's mid 40s to low 50s in the am and mid 70s in the pm.

04 Unlimited
12 JKUS Rock Lobster
post #20 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:10 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Ah- been there! Started out in 75 degrees, the return trip had a front move thru. Torrential rain, 50 degree, no rain suit. Had to stop at Walmart and buy new clothes, jackets, boots, thermals, gloves... And then it started friggin snowing! 6 hour ride home took 11 hours
Yeow. We both have the luck. At least the last time I rode to Pittsburgh it didn't rain at all. That was first time of the last 3 that it didn't. Then I had a freaking sweet sunburn to deal with, haha.

post #21 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:14 PM
Granite Guru

i agree tjdriver, when i come on base, the guys just look at me funny then check my id and say have a good day, i must admit though i was a little nervous the first time i came on base with no doors, top, or side mirrors, but i didn't have a problem at all

I don't need anger management classes you need shut the f*#K up classes.
post #22 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:16 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
Can anyone post a pic of their doorless Jeep with motorcycle mirrors installed? Please?
As soon as this shit-eating rain stops I will.

BTW, you can still install shorty mirrors if you use the lower hinge hole on the passenger side. I think... haven't tried it yet, but the concept seems solid

post #23 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:20 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by X-Man View Post
I've heard of some people getting hassled for not having the driver's side mirror. Just depends on the law in your State.
Somewhere the other day I stumbled across a list of states with the segments about mirrors cut and pasted into it. I know Indiana is a one mirror state I looked that up when I had my Bronco. I never ran doors in the summer and didn't have side mirrors on the doors for the winter either and never had an issue. If I find that list again I'll post it up.

But like you said, it depends on the state.
post #24 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 01:33 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkracing37 View Post
How's video & a pic??

Of course as you can see by the stickers, that was back before I knew any better

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #25 of 42 Old 04-13-2010, 02:56 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via MSN to JTs-JK Send a message via Yahoo to JTs-JK

I drive on to base all summer long without doors or a top and the only thing I hear is pull over for ramdom inspection. I'm guessing that is because it's so easy for the SP to inspect a jeep that doesn't have doors or a top.
JT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode