CB Radio Ground - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 05:22 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
CB Radio Ground

Ok guys, I have pretty much everything done on with mounting and wiring my CB except for mounting the antenna (its already wired too). I have a question though... My antenna came with a stainless steel mount and its suppose to go in the license plate bracket but I decided to put it on my tailgate where I used the plate from swag offroad and removed the tire carrier. Does the antenna actually ground itself off of this plate? If so, would the painted surface of the Jeep plate on the tail gate hinder that? Or does it ground itself through the module where the power for the CB is grounded? Thanks in advance for any help...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 05:36 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

i'm not an expert but i followed the following diagram for grounding the antenna MOUNT, not the antenna itself.....hope this helps, if not I'm sure more people will chime in

THIS IS FOR A FIRESTIK ANTENNA

i used a Teraflex spare tire mount. To ground it I shaved off a small part of the coating on one of the mounting holes and ran a wire through the tailgate and back into the back of the cargo area and grounded it to the tub (had to scrape a bit of paint off of that ground but it's covered)

you'll see the lower mount bolt has an "eye" wire connector mounted, then i put the wire in and crimped it close, then connected the other end to a good ground in the cab

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|

Last edited by IndianaJeep; 04-13-2010 at 05:45 AM.
post #3 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 09:27 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Well thats the thing. All that Came with the antenna is the wire that connects to the module and then the mount.... Does that mean that it is grounded directly through the mount or should there be a ground wire included in the antenna?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 09:49 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

what is the name & model of your antenna? this might help out...

|
|
post #5 of 7 Old 04-13-2010, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

I got the complete kit for the JK Ultra mount with the Cobra 75 from Cool tech LLC. Thats really all I know. lol Sorry.
post #6 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 11:05 AM
Wheeler

These are the same parts I used for my Cobra75 install; except for the Cooltech lic. plate brkt. I mounted my antenna to my swing-away tire carrier. The mounting of the stud and coax "fire-ring" to the concealed mount should complete the antenna grounding; as long as you assemble the parts as shown in Indianajeep's diagram above (far right diagram); AND, as long as you are getting a good ground via the bolt that holds the lic brkt/housing to the tub. I would check for good continuity between the bolt and the tub. I believe that the wire with ring terminals shown in the picture of the kit on CoolTech's site is for grounding; but it shouldn't be necessary if you get good ground from the bolt metioned above. What do the instructions say?

6" FTLA w/HD TB & SS,
JKS spg rets., rr spg mnts.
37" BFG KM2, 17x9 MT clssc II, Blstn 5100,
Finishline West RB, LoD FB, SB XRC10
PP mod'fd boat sldrs, ARB rr DC's, TERA 44 frt xl hsg,
Sup'r CrMo xls, 5.13 R&P, Reel 1310 DS,
Kilby Evap, Bnchmrk KISS, B&M Trans culr,
sPOD; Aeroforce, FlashPac, Airaid CAI, Magnaflow relo,
Cobra 75, 4' Firestik, Woods Hood & TG holds
post #7 of 7 Old 04-14-2010, 02:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

I know this doesn't apply in exactly your situation, but for those mounting your antenna on a tire swing make sure it grounds back to the chassis. Since my tire swing is isolated by a thick plastic bushing from the bumper, I ran about 8" of wire with ring terminals between the two and screwed it in, so it has enough slack to let the swing run through it's full range without tugging on the wire. I rattle canned the terminals and screw heads black once they were installed to blend them in with the black powder coat on the bumper. It's pretty discreet and gives me a good ground.

"Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it." --Stephen Wright
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode