Cleaned up the jeep - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 08:42 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Cleaned up the jeep

well, for the first time in about a year, I finally washed the jeep. And I didn't stop there, I did it inside and out, and even claybared it and waxed it. I used the Turtle Wax Ice clay bar kit with the clay cleaning solution and then the actual clay bar and lubricant, and then followed it up with their liquid Ice wax. It turned out pretty awesome, I was impressed. I think the clay cleaning solution actually got most of the crap off, but the clay bar did still pick up some dirt, and after a little rubbing, it actually got all the tar off along my rocker panels. This was my first time every clay barring anything. I know some people don't like the Ice wax, but for as easy as it goes on and wipes off, the little bit you actually use, and the fact that if you get it on any of the endless amounts of black plastic our JK's have and it doesn't leave a residue, its hard to beat. And I tryed 303 protectant for the first time as well. Its expensive, but definately worth it. I used it on everything plastic and on my soft top, and I was expecially pleased with how the top turned out, it looks like new now, where as before it was starting to fade to gray. And it gives the plastics a nice, new look, not to shiny or wet looking, and the best part is, its actually good for the plastic, instead of drying it out and stripping away the uv protectant like Armor All and some others. I'll try and get pics today when I have time.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 08:56 AM
Rock God

Garage

You had to know it was coming

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 09:38 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

^....LMFAO!!

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 10:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
You had to know it was coming

Geeze, calm down guys!

I really wish i would have taken some before pics. My fenders and bumpers were faded and stained so bad, and now they look like new. Same with the top, it was close to the same shade as the fenders, and now it looks like new. And the clay bar even got rid of all the swirl marks on my hood, wasn't expecting that. And there isn't a spec of dirt any where in the paint. Last time I washed and waxed it, you could run your fingers over it and feel the embeded dirt, you don't feel anything now. If any thing, it really shows how bad the factory paint is orange peeled nowTook me all day, but it was worth it. Sorry for the crappy pics, it was hard to get a shot that did'nt have direct sun light hitting it.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #5 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 10:09 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

On the down side, I can't tell if its runs or the paint bubbling up on my door hinges. It doesn't give way like when the paint is bubbling up from rust, but I don't remember there being runs in the paint before, but its been so long since I washed it, Its hard to tell. If i'm right, and I hope I'm not, the hinges are aluminum, and their starting to corrode underneath the paint. Thats really gonna piss me off if thats the case.

post #6 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 10:21 AM
TrailDuty.com

Looks good.

FWIW I've used the Turtle Wax ICE for a few years and like it. It is the easiest wax I've seen to use, works great on plastic trim, etc, and actually works quite well as a wax.
post #7 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 10:47 AM
Rock God

Garage

pic 3...you missed a spot
post #8 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 11:49 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
Looks good.

FWIW I've used the Turtle Wax ICE for a few years and like it. It is the easiest wax I've seen to use, works great on plastic trim, etc, and actually works quite well as a wax.
Yeah, I used it on my fiance's explorer once already. It doesn't seem to hold up as long as most other waxes, but the little bit you use, and the ease at which it goes on and wipes off, I think its worth it.

post #9 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 11:57 AM
TrailDuty.com

I don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but it seems to get better once you've built up a few layers. I haven't waxed my Jeep since last Fall and water still beads up nicely on it, and I swear the wax only lasted a few months when I started using it.
post #10 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 12:15 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
the paint bubbling up on my door hinges.
I just noticed this on mine the other day when I washed it.

oh... almost forgot. Jeep looks good! I have to find some of that 303 stuff.
post #11 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I don't know if it's just wishful thinking, but it seems to get better once you've built up a few layers. I haven't waxed my Jeep since last Fall and water still beads up nicely on it, and I swear the wax only lasted a few months when I started using it.
Same here, I did mine back in Oct and its still beading up. I love ICE!

2008 Red Rock Sahara Unlimited (stock)

PAVED ROADS
A fine example of needless
government spending
post #12 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 05:18 PM
Granite Guru

The 303 did you use the stuff for cloths or some thing else?
post #13 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 05:31 PM
Rock God

Jeep looks great, I should scrub mine like that...

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
post #14 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

easy fix for the hinges, take them off, sand them down and bedline them

jeep looks good but too shiny for me, i like em dirty

Chris
-----------------------
'09 Rubicon 2dr, Silver
post #15 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 07:39 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjb321 View Post
easy fix for the hinges, take them off, sand them down and bedline them

jeep looks good but too shiny for me, i like em dirty
I do too, but I was tired of having to wash my hands everytime I put the top up or down

post #16 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 07:46 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Here, this is the stuff I used: http://www.303products.com/shop303/i...protectant.cfm

I got two of the little pump bottles at the closest marine shop to me. I wanted to get a gallon jug of it, but the pump bottles were all they had left. The aerospace stuff you can use on just about everything. I went through about 2/3 of a bottle doing my bumpers, fenders, top, outside black trim, and the interior. I would have used it on my tires too, but I didnt' wanna use a whole bottle up. And when I say my fenders were faded and mud stained bad, i mean they were bad. They look like new now.

post #17 of 20 Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Nice work.........so that's what Jeep Green is supposed to look like I'll have to add this to my list of Spring maintenance to-do.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #18 of 20 Old 04-13-2010, 04:49 PM
Granite Guru

Thanks for the answer and the Jeep looks great!!!!
post #19 of 20 Old 04-13-2010, 05:04 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

thanks for the compliments guys. Its not often she looks that good I know, I know, it would look a lot better with some bigger MT's on there

post #20 of 20 Old 04-13-2010, 06:49 PM
Granite Guru

Just got my JK a couple of weeks ago, and the top has been off pretty much since. When I first drove it off the lot, it was shiny, and had been detailed very, very nicely. Now you can, quite literally, write your name on any given space in the dust and pollen. Thanks for listing the products you used, as I will probably try to wash it once a month, or so, during the summer months. It's pretty much SOL during the the other three seasons though!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode