Help me decided between these two Switch panels - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 06:37 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Help me decided between these two Switch panels

Guys, if you are like me and have a manual transmission and use ARB lockers with the daystar switch pannel then you are hating life!! I found during EJS at moab that every time i put the Jeep into 1st or 3rd gear the boot would turn off my locker or air comressor!!!

I am torn between two units, they both are about the same price and offer almost the same features...

first is a JKSwitch unit:
http://www.simplesolutionsmfg.com/in...&product_id=49

the second is Spod:
http://www.4x4s-pod.com/products/jk-...tch-spod-07-08

Spod Pros:
  1. More switches
  2. looks to have more control/integration with ARB lockers

Spod cons
  1. Switches are placed where my CB is mounted
  2. Switch location make roll cages in my future very difficult

JKSwitch Pros
  1. Clean switch design
  2. Location allows CB to stay where it is
  3. Roll cage is no problem

JKSwitch Cons
  1. Limited switches
  2. Switches seem hardwired to certain functions
  3. Questionable ARB locker utility?

So, my question to everyone is what is the best cleanest solution and what would you recommend?

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD
2007 JK Unlmited Rubicon --SOLD
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2013 JKUR Billet Silver-- SOLD
2016 JKUR White --
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 06:51 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

they are both clean installs.

i say spod because of the pros you said but if you think about it.
the cb is easily moveable.
and if you do a cage your not gonna do one spreader bar in the middle your more likely to have two.so it wouldnt really be in the way.

SPOD+hes a vendor here

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #3 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeatenPath View Post
they are both clean installs.

i say spod because of the pros you said but if you think about it.
the cb is easily moveable.
and if you do a cage your not gonna do one spreader bar in the middle your more likely to have two.so it wouldnt really be in the way.

SPOD+hes a vendor here
Where else could I mount my CB that is out of the way...I am 6'2" tall with long legs so I need all the leg room I can get.

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 06:54 PM
Wheeler

I can't find the replacement part # for the original lower dash panel. Anyone have any ideas?

I went with the Daystar switch panel and it works great, but I need to replace the original for now!

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
post #5 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 06:57 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
I can't find the replacement part # for the original lower dash panel. Anyone have any ideas?

I went with the Daystar switch panel and it works great, but I need to replace the original for now!
Have any threads I can hijack?

1997 TJ --SOLD
1999 TJ --SOLD
2001 TJ --SOLD

2016 JKUR White --
post #6 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

That JKSwitch is clean looking, first time that I have seen that one. It will work fine with the ARB air locker, it is just a switch that activates it.

My throwdown pod until I figure out what all I want to go to a switch.

post #7 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 PM
Granite Guru

Wow, I am in the wrong bu$ine$$. I $hould be making $witch panel$.
post #8 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:16 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The first one is nice but out of the 2 you have mentioned i would definately go with the sPOD. John will take the upmost care of you and your satisfaction is his priority. I have never seen the other kit but the sPOD is a thing of beauty and John takes alot of pride in his work.

www.jeepasylum.com
post #9 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:17 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

you can also look into the 12voltguy panel It can be made anyway you want!!

www.jeepasylum.com
post #10 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I know it isn't on your list but the 12Vguy panel kicks ass. He also has a 4 switch that you can put anywere.

post #11 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 07:25 PM
Rock God

Go with the SPOD. John's customer service and product quality are second to none! Wiring it up and install is a snap! You can always move your CB to the dash or somewhere else.

post #12 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 08:17 PM
Wheeler

sPOD all the way. John is great to work with and makes a great product.

07 X. 4 inch lift. 35 inch Pro Comp Mud Terrains. Rock Hard bumpers front and rear. Warn 9.5 Ti. sPOD. More to come.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 09:37 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marine01 View Post
Where else could I mount my CB that is out of the way...I am 6'2" tall with long legs so I need all the leg room I can get.
SPOD! It's AWESOME! Mount the CB farther back on spreader bars. That's my intention although I don't have the fron roll installed yet. Even if there is a conflict I will simply relocate the SPOD switches to the spready... SIMPLE to do.

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #14 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 09:50 PM
JKowners Vendor

Marine01,
Our system works with all roll bars with the exception of Kenny's at River Raider's roll bar. We have made a custom mini switch bezel for that application specifically. All our core components are made of aluminum, welded and powder coated. All of our harnesses come pre-wrapped in high temp abrasion resistant nylon. Our power distribution unit utilizes six fuses, six relays, six diodes, fifty amp circuit breaker, inline fuse for switch protection. Our system does NOT tie into any of the OEM electrics!
We are offering a 10% percent discount on any item for all JKO members.
Below is a picture of our ARB adapter harness instructions. We have built a connector that matches ARB's harness and eliminates from 12 - 16 wires coming into your cab.

Quote:
Guys, if you are like me and have a manual transmission and use ARB lockers with the daystar switch pannel then you are hating life!! I found during EJS at moab that every time i put the Jeep into 1st or 3rd gear the boot would turn off my locker or air comressor!!!

I am torn between two units, they both are about the same price and offer almost the same features...

first is a JKSwitch unit:
http://www.simplesolutionsmfg.com/in...&product_id=49

the second is Spod:
http://www.4x4s-pod.com/products/jk-...tch-spod-07-08

Spod Pros:
  1. More switches
  2. looks to have more control/integration with ARB lockers

Spod cons
  1. Switches are placed where my CB is mounted
  2. Switch location make roll cages in my future very difficult

JKSwitch Pros
  1. Clean switch design
  2. Location allows CB to stay where it is
  3. Roll cage is no problem

JKSwitch Cons
  1. Limited switches
  2. Switches seem hardwired to certain functions
  3. Questionable ARB locker utility?

So, my question to everyone is what is the best cleanest solution and what would you recommend?

-John the sPOD guy
switches jeeps panels jk-forum carling contura led switch windshield
post #15 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 10:33 PM
Granite Guru

You can use John's sPOD without the pod portion as well and mount the switches wherever you want. I used his Source unit and mounted my switches on the left side of the dash where I wanted them. He customed the length of the harness for me. My Dad did custom car installs for over 20 years and he was blown away by the quality of the wiring and especially the relay setup. I used to fab up lots of custom relay/speaker brackets but nothing EVER came close to what John's selling. sPOD all the way.

2007 2D 6SPD JK X
post #16 of 21 Old 04-11-2010, 11:25 PM
Granite Guru

sPOD should be standard equipment on all JK's, and if not it should be the first mod done. It makes all electrical mods plug and play.
post #17 of 21 Old 04-12-2010, 07:13 AM
Rock God

wow i really like that new jkpanel

perfect placement for the switches

will be looking forward as to how good of the quality the power box is, as i believe thats where the SPOD really shines
post #18 of 21 Old 04-12-2010, 11:14 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

S-Pod all the way... John is a A+++ Guy to deal with!

2014 JKU, Tera44, 4.56 gears, ARB lockers, RK 3.5" flex lift, ARB front & rear bumper, dual Viair 400C w/2 gallon tank, Zeon 10S, Nitto Tires, Genesis Dual battery kit, TeraFlex tie rod & flipped drag link, ARB Intensities and TeraFlex dual rate ST sway bar.
post #19 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 07:35 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

sPOD all the way... what can I say other than it's one of the highest quality products I have ever seen, the cost differential is extremely minimal when you put it *all* together, and John is of the highest quality when it comes to pre-sale, post-sale, and tech questions.

When I was on the fence, John offered to help me with any issues I might have even if I went with a hodge podge of stuff... this sealed the deal for me. Anyone willing to help a non customer, with other people's crap is pretty amazing.
post #20 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 12:14 PM
Granite Guru

SPod all the way! More switches, greater configurability, first rate customer service from John, etc.

Badass Bumpers, Dual Battery Systems, Rockcrawler Oil Pans and More!
www.benchmarkdesigns.com
post #21 of 21 Old 04-13-2010, 01:07 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
You might want to consider replacing it. Not sure what you're using, but I think the Cool Tech All-in-one Kit. It's sharp, useful, and doesn't require the base unit. I've seen it mounted in a few jeeps.

Or, if you're considering the roll cage, you might just wait and mount it up on the center bar. Not sure how you'd waterproof it, but just a thought.

I'd go with the sPOD as well. I like the design and like someone else mentioned, you can basically put them wherever you want if you were so inclined.

It is what it is... So IT had better be damn good...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode