Traded in my 2007 JK for a 2010 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum
Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 11:26 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews
Traded in my 2007 JK for a 2010

I went to get my oil changed the other day and on a whim started looking at prices for the 2010 JK. A couple of guys came out to try to sell me new jeeps and I told them I was all set. One guy came out and just started shooting the sh** with me and asked if I wanted a test drive. He asked how much it would take to get me in a new jeep. I old him that either way I was driving home in a jeep tonight, either mine or a new one, so I would need to offered a lot of money. I told him $25K. After less then 3 minutes of bartering the manager ok's the deal. 2007 JK, 32K miles, 1 minor accident for a 2010 JK with 19 miles. They also said the acessories on my jeep were worth more to me than them, so I could take them off before I returned the jeep, a few thousand dollars worth of aftermarket parts.
I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

Also, since Mopar is covering the 2 inch lift under warranty think its worth going through them instead of a jeep guy that actually knows what he is doing and has been doing it for years?

Can't wait for summer...

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
mattloon is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 11:30 AM
Rock God
 
MarcusRTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 38
Posts: 1,003
Feedback: 0 reviews

So they gave you $25k for yours and you paid what for the new one? Sticker?

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Keeping Austin Weird
MarcusRTJ is offline  
post #3 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Rock God
 
yoda13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,087
Feedback: 0 reviews

must be missing something, sounds like a great deal....

2007 Jeep Wrangler X, Auto, Hardtop, White, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME HD springs, Rusty's Adj. F/R trac-bars, Bilstein Steering Stabilizer, JKS Quicker Disconnects, JKS Rear Swaybar Extensions, PolyPerformance UCAs f/r, Rusty's LCAs f/r, 33x12.5 BFG KM2s, ProComp 15x8 Rockcrawlers, Smitty winch, Body Armor Front Bumper, FLW SS rear bumper, OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Skid Row Engine and Tranny Skid, Member UFWD & BRC, †John 3:16†
yoda13 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #4 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 05:22 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

I thought I was missing something too!
I owed 11K on my old jeep, they offered me 25K for a trade-in and the new ones cost was 34k.
So, when its all said and done, I paid 23k (taxes etc aincluded) for a new one...and my monthly payments went down by $200. Sure, it is for another 6 years instead of paying off the old one thru the remaining 3 years. But, now I have a 2010 that doesn't have the headaches I had with the 07 (in theory).

My 07 was in the shop 18-20 times in the first year and a half ...so all and all, I'm psyched to get rid of it, let alone get a brand new one that is still capatable with my aftermarket parts.

We will see what happens!

Now, what to do about the 2 inch lift?!

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
mattloon is offline  
post #5 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 06:03 PM
JKO Addict!
 
nlgrav182's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Long Island, NY
Posts: 3,401
Feedback: 2 reviews

I went to the Auto Show this weekend and the 2" lift that was on the Unlimited was priced at $1510. I would go through the Jeep guy, or throw a Boston area lift party and buy people pizza and beer to help you out.
nlgrav182 is offline  
post #6 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 06:09 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlgrav182 View Post
I went to the Auto Show this weekend and the 2" lift that was on the Unlimited was priced at $1510. I would go through the Jeep guy, or throw a Boston area lift party and buy people pizza and beer to help you out.

I know its a bit much, but I like the idea of having the warranty coverage for that. We all hear the horror stories of how people are treated at a dealership/certified jeep mechanic that are not off-road jeeper friendly.

But, on the other hand, I really do like pizza and beer

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
mattloon is offline  
post #7 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 07:22 PM
Rock God
 
MarcusRTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 38
Posts: 1,003
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
I thought I was missing something too!
I owed 11K on my old jeep, they offered me 25K for a trade-in and the new ones cost was 34k.
So, when its all said and done, I paid 23k (taxes etc aincluded) for a new one...and my monthly payments went down by $200. Sure, it is for another 6 years instead of paying off the old one thru the remaining 3 years. But, now I have a 2010 that doesn't have the headaches I had with the 07 (in theory).

My 07 was in the shop 18-20 times in the first year and a half ...so all and all, I'm psyched to get rid of it, let alone get a brand new one that is still capatable with my aftermarket parts.

We will see what happens!

Now, what to do about the 2 inch lift?!
Congrats on the new ride. Is it a Sahara?

If you pay $1500 for a 2" lift you are DOUBLE retarded. Buy a 2.5" Rough Country lift for $300 and throw it on in 3 hours with the help of some fellow Jeepers. The dealer won't even know its lifted most likely and a lift like that isn't going to void anything.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Keeping Austin Weird

Last edited by MarcusRTJ; 04-11-2010 at 08:50 PM.
MarcusRTJ is offline  
post #8 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 07:46 PM
JKO Addict!
 
lohchief's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: SW,Oregon
Age: 67
Posts: 2,596
Garage
Feedback: 0 reviews

I think I would have held out for a 2011 with the new engine.....just a thought.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
lohchief is offline  
post #9 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 08:24 PM
Wheeler
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Hawthorne Ca, Home of the Beach Boys.
Age: 59
Posts: 65
Feedback: 0 reviews

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Enjoy life while young at heart and while you can afford it.
RK Racing is offline  
post #10 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 08:44 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Grants Pass Oregon
Posts: 113
Feedback: 0 reviews

Hey.. if your happy with the deal,,, then it's a good deal. Congrats.

2012 JKU Rubicon/Auto/4:10's/3 inch teraflex with 4 flex arms/ bilstein 5100 shocks/extended brake lines/35-12.50-17 Nitto Trail Grapplers w/ 1.5" spacers/ARB front bumper/LoD rear bumper/2 130 watt KC driving lights -2 130 watt KC spot's/ Warn 9.5Ti winch/ Arb diff covers,/JKS front track bar/Coast front drive shaft/ACE rock rails/ EVO ProTek skids (in red)/
hdrider is offline  
post #11 of 27 Old 04-11-2010, 10:15 PM
Granite Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Age: 39
Posts: 180
Feedback: 0 reviews

If he waited for the 2011, his 07 would have been one more year older and worth less. Plus the sticker price on the 2011 will be higher because of the engine.
gthegato is offline  
post #12 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 06:52 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

Thanks for all the feedback!

So far I love the new Jeep. Now I just have to decide what size tires and a lift.

The 07' had its problems so I think I got out at the right time and I just couldn't say no to that price!

I think my first move is selling my softtop and getting the "offroadheros/California top" fastback. Hopefully it doesn't take months like everyone elses horror story.

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
mattloon is offline  
post #13 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 07:57 AM
JKO Addict!
 
Loki646's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orlando, FL
Age: 46
Posts: 4,103
Garage
Feedback: 2 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
Thanks for all the feedback!

So far I love the new Jeep. Now I just have to decide what size tires and a lift.

The 07' had its problems so I think I got out at the right time and I just couldn't say no to that price!

I think my first move is selling my softtop and getting the "offroadheros/California top" fastback. Hopefully it doesn't take months like everyone elses horror story.
Well since you are in Boston, I say order it in Late Sept or early October, then if it takes 6 months it will have arrived just in time to use it...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
/
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki646 is offline  
post #14 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 08:31 AM
Granite Guru
 
Joe Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 138
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
I owed 11K on my old jeep, they offered me 25K for a trade-in and the new ones cost was 34k.
So, when its all said and done, I paid 23k (taxes etc aincluded) for a new one...
Congrats on the new Jeep....but you paid alot more than $23k I think.

You owed 11k and got 25k....so a net of 14k in your pocket.

The new one was stickered at 34k....so unless they knocked more than 14k off that price, they applied your 14k to the deal. Did you walk out with 14k in your pocket?

So, that makes the new one around 37k or so, full sticker + TTL.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009 Sahara, Red Rock, auto, MyGig REN, Trac-Lok, remote start, soft top, Nuvi 765T, Escort X50 Blue, Cobra 29WXNW, Firestick II, Recovery Kit, Bestop Bikini Top, Soft Top Cover, Jeep Hood Bra
Joe Diver is offline  
post #15 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 01:17 PM
Rock God
 
Blackr6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Age: 34
Posts: 613
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
I think I would have held out for a 2011 with the new engine.....just a thought.
What's new? I'm shopping right now. Is it worth waiting out on?
Blackr6 is offline  
post #16 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 01:46 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Grant211's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Orlando, Florida
Age: 43
Posts: 5,747
Feedback: 0 reviews

This reminds me of a recent trip to the dealer. I was walking though the car lot while my jeep was getting an oil change.

This sales guy comes out and said "See anything you like?"

I was like...here we go....

I told him i was just killing time while my jeep is getting an oil change

He asked what type of a jeep i have and then said "You know we are hurting on sales. What if i told you, you can upgrade to a new 2010 and keep the same monthly car payments"

I said "Really? go on..."

He then said "What do you pay a month now on your jeep"

I said not that much.

He then said... Lets go for a test drive...I'm telling ya we can beat your monthly payments.

I then said "So, let me get this right before we go for a test drive. You will beat the price i am paying now on my car payments and i can take this rubicon home?"

He said "Yes, lets go do the test drive and then we can sign the paperwork"

I replied with "Hot Damn...Who will send me a check every month since my jeep is paid off?" (it's not paid off by the way, but he didn't know that!)

He looked like a deer gazing into headlights. It was priceless

Then the sales guy started back tracking his words and started changing his words.
Grant211 is offline  
post #17 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 02:12 PM
Rock God
 
kerryp's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Bastrop, Texas
Age: 55
Posts: 1,852
Feedback: 1 reviews
Send a message via Yahoo to kerryp Send a message via Skype™ to kerryp

Nice, I hope you enjoy your '10,

I heard they changed the sun visors in the '10 models and made them better? True? If so, can you snap a pic of them and post it up. I am curious, i may go in and buy a set, I hate the visors on mine,,,i know its just a visor, but I always seem to be driving into the sun or having it coming through the drivers window and it bugs the beejeezus outta me. thanks.

ジープ
@CigarsNJeeps
kerryp is offline  
post #18 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Diver View Post
Congrats on the new Jeep....but you paid alot more than $23k I think.

You owed 11k and got 25k....so a net of 14k in your pocket.

The new one was stickered at 34k....so unless they knocked more than 14k off that price, they applied your 14k to the deal. Did you walk out with 14k in your pocket?

So, that makes the new one around 37k or so, full sticker + TTL.
That just made my head spin...
They took the 14k off the $34K sticker price. then after taxes and warranty upgrade I paid $23K.

KErryP I also will try toget a picture of the visor. They are a bit different, my girlfriend loves the new ones because they actually have a mirror on the underside. I'll take a pic in a few days. Camer is MIA right now.

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift

Last edited by mattloon; 04-17-2010 at 02:38 PM.
mattloon is offline  
post #19 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 02:45 PM
JKO Addict!
 
Mr.RonGilbert's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Houston
Age: 48
Posts: 9,140
Garage
Feedback: 6 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant211 View Post
This reminds me of a recent trip to the dealer. I was walking though the car lot while my jeep was getting an oil change.

This sales guy comes out and said "See anything you like?"

I was like...here we go....

I told him i was just killing time while my jeep is getting an oil change

He asked what type of a jeep i have and then said "You know we are hurting on sales. What if i told you, you can upgrade to a new 2010 and keep the same monthly car payments"

I said "Really? go on..."

He then said "What do you pay a month now on your jeep"

I said not that much.

He then said... Lets go for a test drive...I'm telling ya we can beat your monthly payments.

I then said "So, let me get this right before we go for a test drive. You will beat the price i am paying now on my car payments and i can take this rubicon home?"

He said "Yes, lets go do the test drive and then we can sign the paperwork"

I replied with "Hot Damn...Who will send me a check every month since my jeep is paid off?" (it's not paid off by the way, but he didn't know that!)

He looked like a deer gazing into headlights. It was priceless

Then the sales guy started back tracking his words and started changing his words.


Hahaaa that is great, I did the same exact thing to a salesman at my dealership, mine is not paid off but I put a bunch down to get the payments below $200. I told him that I was waiting for the 2011s... yadda yadda and he was pushing hard and said the matching payments thing. I let him go with it for a while and dropped it on him, he backpedaled and laughed because he knew that I played him. He said he could match the payments but we might have to stretch out the loan for a few more years...

By the time I was done the oil was changed.
Mr.RonGilbert is offline  
post #20 of 27 Old 04-17-2010, 06:16 PM
Granite Guru
 
Joe Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 138
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
That just made my head spin...
They took the 14k off the $34K sticker price. then after taxes and warranty upgrade I paid $23K.
Then you paid $37k. That $14k you got in trade was cash in your pocket you put down.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009 Sahara, Red Rock, auto, MyGig REN, Trac-Lok, remote start, soft top, Nuvi 765T, Escort X50 Blue, Cobra 29WXNW, Firestick II, Recovery Kit, Bestop Bikini Top, Soft Top Cover, Jeep Hood Bra
Joe Diver is offline  
post #21 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 01:34 PM
JKO Addict!
 
eggwhite93's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Navarre FL
Age: 42
Posts: 2,961
Feedback: 2 reviews

Your both saying the same thing just 2 differant ways.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
eggwhite93 is offline  
post #22 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 03:16 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler
 
mattloon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: South Boston, MA
Age: 39
Posts: 83
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Diver View Post
Then you paid $37k. That $14k you got in trade was cash in your pocket you put down.
Joe, is your real name Sean? Because I feel like I'm fighting with my brother right now

Yes, we are saying the same thing in two different ways.

But I will say this, I LOVE the new jeep either way.

"Don't Take Life Too Seriously, You're Never Gonna Get Out Alive"
Natural Green 10' JK Sahara Unlimited
Auto, Power, Hard/Soft top, remote starter
MyGIG w/Navigation and Sirius
33" Interco SS M-16, 2.5" Teraflex Lift
mattloon is offline  
post #23 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 03:35 PM
Wheeler
 
pyrophil's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Rock Hill, SC
Age: 48
Posts: 95
Feedback: 0 reviews

I gotta headache now tooo much mahfffff. lol good deal man
pyrophil is offline  
post #24 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 05:08 PM
Granite Guru
 
Joe Diver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: North Richland Hills, Texas
Posts: 138
Feedback: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattloon View Post
But I will say this, I LOVE the new jeep either way.
And that is all that really matters...


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
2009 Sahara, Red Rock, auto, MyGig REN, Trac-Lok, remote start, soft top, Nuvi 765T, Escort X50 Blue, Cobra 29WXNW, Firestick II, Recovery Kit, Bestop Bikini Top, Soft Top Cover, Jeep Hood Bra
Joe Diver is offline  
post #25 of 27 Old 04-18-2010, 05:31 PM
Rock God
 
MarcusRTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Austin, TX
Age: 38
Posts: 1,003
Feedback: 0 reviews

I originally posted that this sounded like a terrible deal but I decided to be nice. LOL!

Anytime they "give you what you want" for your trade in they are just shoveling money around. Always get your best deal worked out then drop a trade on em.

If you pay sticker they've got as much as $5K to play with in the numbers.

Enjoy the new one!

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


Keeping Austin Weird
MarcusRTJ is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome