power windows/locks
soft top
full doors
17" alloy wheels
3.21 gears from what I can tell
no fogs
28K miles

It was listed for $20991 online.

My truck is 05 Dodge QC 4.7V8 84K miles, salvage title due to theft recovery. Got them to $6500 trade (rough NADA 7800, pretty damn good on trade)

I got them to $18,988 drive out.

Buy it or keep shopping? The issue is my trade in. Its FS for $8500 with a couple emails.

08 Unlimited - Flame Red "Lucy"
2.5" RC Coils & 33" KM2 on stockers

08 JK - Stone White "The Goat"
2.5" BB, 35" MTRs on 15s, Rubi sliders - just the beginning
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 06:32 PM
Rock God

I have 08 X with S pkg but mine is a Auto 3:73 gears, I wouldn't buy it because with 3:21 you will be putting out $$$ for a re-gear soon. Especially if want to do 35's. Look for a stock Rubicon that has not been wheeled to death, you will be better off. If you like to empty every pocket buy the X.

"All wranglers are jeeps, not all jeeps are wranglers"

"Holding out for the Pentastar in 2012"
post #3 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 06:34 PM
Wheeler

keep shopping, i got an 07 unlimited x with hard top, fogs, tow package, power package for 18995

theres better deals out there, thier prices are up high because summer is near
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Good call. Is there any way to find out for sure by using the VIN?

I've got an 08 Unlimited X with the S package, adding to my arsenal. We have 33s, 3.73s, auto on it. Going to 35s on it.

I'm not willing to pay the $$ for a Rubicon. I didn't want to spend $19K on one at all. Thats why I walked. I actually walked 4 times. LOL They kept making it sweeter so I kept letting them talk.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #5 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 06:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmda9noke View Post
keep shopping, i got an 07 unlimited x with hard top, fogs, tow package, power package for 18995

theres better deals out there, thier prices are up high because summer is near
Drive out?

Keeping Austin Weird
post #6 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 07:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Definitely keep shopping, I bought my 09 X brand new for less than 20.

My sig is HUGE in Japan
post #7 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 08:59 PM
Wheeler

i say don't buy it i bought mine about a year ago it is a 08 x and had those options but only 6k miles i got it for 18,500 with tax and license.
post #8 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 10:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Sounds like an awful lot of money for a used, 2 door, X. Leave that thing sit.
post #9 of 34 Old 04-10-2010, 10:57 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Man these things must be higher around here then. All of them with less than 40-50K miles on them are listed at over $20K.

Maybe I should just keep the truck and keep working on Lucy. Hrmm.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #10 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 05:26 AM
Wheeler

Walk

Stuff like this keeps telling me how good a deal I got. I got my 09 X, base everything for 17,000 out the door. I didnt really care there wernt any options because I new I was replacing the wheels and tires, and didnt really care about the power options. I wouldnt buy I used X for anything close to that.
post #11 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 07:36 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Man these deals are crazy! I you look at auto trader and use 78748 as the zip you'd e amazed. The prices are higher than giraffe pussy!

05 and 06 TJ rubicons are going for 17-20k. Well listed for that anyway. I'm going to start shopping new ones and see what I come up with.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #12 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 08:18 AM
Granite Guru

Doesn't matter who you ask, they'll all seem to have paid less. My advice is if you find a Jeep you like, buy it! Don't worry about what anyone else thinks, it's your money... That being said, your price seems high for a used jeep with no mods. But, different areas of the country have different prices for Jeeps...

post #13 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 08:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Born2run View Post
I have 08 X with S pkg but mine is a Auto 3:73 gears, I wouldn't buy it because with 3:21 you will be putting out $$$ for a re-gear soon.
Agreed. I have 3.21, and have gone to 33s... I can drive on the roads ok, but can't keep speed up hills. On the trails I can use 4hi, but to get any wheel spin (for mud/snow), I have to go to 4lo.

At some point I want to get 35s, but I know I don't have the gears for 35s...

Suggestion... find something with lower gears...

2012 Silver JKU Rubicon
5 speed auto, 4.10s

For all your protection needs:

M101 trailer, RTT, Awning, etc
5 wide Little Guy Rough Rider Teardrop
post #14 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 09:28 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm in agreeance (is that not a word?) with LSUjeepguy. I have looked nationwide and yeah, there are some better deals out there, but they aren't in my neck of the woods.

The other thing is the fact that my truck has a salvage title and these guys are giving me more than payoff for it. I didn't expect that at all and I'm going to have to sit around waiting for someone with cash to buy it, then go through all the troubles with the bank and paying it off 3 hours drive away.

I'm not sure what I'll do, it might not be this one in particular, but I don't think the other prices are realistic for my area. What a shame.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #15 of 34 Old 04-11-2010, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
Agreed. I have 3.21, and have gone to 33s... I can drive on the roads ok, but can't keep speed up hills. On the trails I can use 4hi, but to get any wheel spin (for mud/snow), I have to go to 4lo.

At some point I want to get 35s, but I know I don't have the gears for 35s...

Suggestion... find something with lower gears...
I know about the gears and all that jazz. We have an unlimited now that has auto/3.73s with 33s and I'm not happy with it 100%. 35s really sucked. But I can regear in Houston for $850.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #16 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 05:22 AM
Granite Guru

Send a message via Yahoo to Squirrel Killer

And.. you never know. Maybe someone is looking for a Jeep "just like the one" you traded in? That would deffinately fetch a higher price and the time of the year!! Glad you got what you wanted, good luck with the mods!!

2013 Commando Green Sport S
TF 2.5", RK Control Arms, Gobi Stealth Rack, Level 8 Tracker Pro on 35's, TruckLite LEDs, TrailDash
-Sean
post #17 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 06:07 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ View Post
Man these things must be higher around here then. All of them with less than 40-50K miles on them are listed at over $20K.

Maybe I should just keep the truck and keep working on Lucy. Hrmm.

If you want comparisons look for them in the Indy/Chicago area, spring is here and you can't touch anything under 50k miles for less than 22k and thats in stock form and maybe a smokers ride. And they won't budge on pricing round here right now.

I found looking on autotrader and ebay that the best deals seem to be in TX, FL and East Coast. In fact I am actually taking a drive this weekend I hope to pick up a JK in PA.

Price around and that will tell you if it is a good deal or not. To find out the gearing and other info take the last 8 of the VIN and go here:

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/

Do the "About My Vehicle" in the upper left and request a build sheet. Just tell them it's yours or you can't put the VIN in. You'll get a reply quick. Or have the dealer get a build sheet. I was looking at one and I thought it had 3.21s and I was pleasantly surprised to find it had 4.10s and a limited slip.

Good luck.
post #18 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 07:10 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxx View Post
If you want comparisons look for them in the Indy/Chicago area, spring is here and you can't touch anything under 50k miles for less than 22k and thats in stock form and maybe a smokers ride. And they won't budge on pricing round here right now.

I found looking on autotrader and ebay that the best deals seem to be in TX, FL and East Coast. In fact I am actually taking a drive this weekend I hope to pick up a JK in PA.

Price around and that will tell you if it is a good deal or not. To find out the gearing and other info take the last 8 of the VIN and go here:

http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/

Do the "About My Vehicle" in the upper left and request a build sheet. Just tell them it's yours or you can't put the VIN in. You'll get a reply quick. Or have the dealer get a build sheet. I was looking at one and I thought it had 3.21s and I was pleasantly surprised to find it had 4.10s and a limited slip.

Good luck.
I REALLY appreciate this! I can't get it to work for me though, keeps saying "vehicle not found". Dammit! LOL I'll request one from the sales guru.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #19 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

The only way to know if its a great deal is to do all the research and compare it to others in your area. I can come on here and say I found a better deal but that doesnt mean that the same deal is available in TX.

In fact, I had to take an overnight train and a 10 hour drive back to buy my JK that I found on craigslist. Did I get a good deal on it? Yes. Was it because of a certain situation that allowed me to get this deal? Yes.

Do what you want, compare it to others, be patient, and get the Jeep YOU want. You are the one spending your money.

2007 Sahara Unlimited. Zone 3" lift. JKS adjustable front track bar, Fox steering stabalizer, Crown kevlar brake lines, MBRP grill guard w/PIAAs. pistol grip Hurst shifter. Spiderweb sun shade. Homemade "raingler" style rear and side nets. Flowmaster Super 40. Stock 17" wheels. 35" Nitto Trail Grapplers. DVD/Nav head unit. MBRP stubby w/ mm winch. PJ stubby rear.
post #20 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 08:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarcusRTJ View Post
I REALLY appreciate this! I can't get it to work for me though, keeps saying "vehicle not found". Dammit! LOL I'll request one from the sales guru.
Hmm maybe you have the wrong last 8? But yes the salesman should be able to give you a build sheet. I found it very helpful in making my decision.
post #21 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 08:07 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks for the input guys.

In comparing everything and taking into consideration that they are taking my trade in that has a salvage title and giving me more than what I owe is huge. They are selling me the Jeep for $18,200 and I can't find one with lower miles for less money.

I'm gonna see what the bank says and go from there. Thanks for all of the input!

Keeping Austin Weird
post #22 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Strange turn of events.

Got a call on my truck, from a dealer, who wants to sell me a new JK for $18,500. LOL!

We'll see what happens.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #23 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Another update - talked more with dealer about new and pricing was for a 6 speed, 3.21, doo doo stock wheels/tires, bare bones X.

Yet another update - got the build sheet for the 08. 3.73s are there. I'm going to go with this one if I do it. Auto, Power group, its red like I want, 17s that I can throw some 285s on are already there, and its got 3.73s as icing on the cake.

Keeping Austin Weird
post #24 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 01:18 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Good luck and keep us posted!

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

post #25 of 34 Old 04-12-2010, 10:01 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I haven't done anything yet.

My father in law down in Houston told me he'd either buy my truck back (he has a lot and bought the truck for me in the first place 2 years back). OR I can sell it outright and when I have a buyer he'll pay off the loan and overnight me the title for a quick n easy sale.

He also told me if I find a used one from a PP he'd cut the check and handle the financing for me.

DECISIONS. DECISIONS. DECISIONS.

I can't find any deals that are close to the one I started the thread about. Literally EVERYTHING that is less than that has a ton of miles on it. Found out this one was a rental unit too for Avis. My brother in law has two Avis stores and they change the oil and maintain the cars like clockwork. Also, the JKs can't be leased to anyone under a certain age and are very expensive to lease. He, as well as my "in the business father in law" told me that they'd buy an off rental car over some random trade in if based on nothing more than the maintenance history.

What to do?

I even started considering TJs but then I remember all the BS that goes along with em like SYEs and such. I have had a ton of TJs and I really want another JK. Besides that, the late model Rubicons are still going for $17-18K around me. There's even one listed for $19500. LOL!

Keeping Austin Weird
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode