Think I have picked my poison... Opinions? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Think I have picked my poison... Opinions?

In accordance with prophecy, now that I've finally gotten back into another Jeep, I want to lift it a bit.

First the facts...

A. It's an '07 Sahara with tow package/springs (4th digit in vin is a G) running stock 18" wheels and tires.

2. It's my daily driver so the ride needs to be stay pretty tame. The kids need to be able to crawl in and still fairly useful with an occasional bouts in the mud, or a trip to the trails.

And D. Not really looking to break the bank.

It looks like the 2.5 Performance TFBB w/shocks might be the way to go, but honestly, the last time I lifted a truck was an '80 model Toyota 4x4... back in '87. So I'm not, let's say, well versed in current equipment.

Is this is the right way for me to go?

Groovy...

Last edited by XISophos; 04-09-2010 at 01:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 01:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

I have an 07 Sahara with tow and 18 stock rims.

I went with the black Diamond 3". Kit came with everything you need including HD front coils. 3 years later has not sagged at all and it rides nice.

edit: also my daily driver

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 01:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've had the TFBB for almost a year now and I like it. It gets the job done without breaking the bank.

IMO its gonna come down to your future plans. If it's going to be a damn long time before you upgrade to a spring lift I would say go for the BB, otherwise spend it once and go with the springs. Just be prepared for more $$$$ as I have yet to hear of a 2.5" spring that wont give you better than 3" or even 4", which leads to the need for CA's, TB's, DS's, etc, etc, etc.

It's a slippery slope one you get over 3" and I aint ready to ski yet so I'm stickin to my BB for now.

Quote:
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I've had the TFBB for almost a year now and I like it. It gets the job done without breaking the bank.

IMO its gonna come down to your future plans. If it's going to be a damn long time before you upgrade to a spring lift I would say go for the BB, otherwise spend it once and go with the springs. Just be prepared for more $$$$ as I have yet to hear of a 2.5" spring that wont give you better than 3" or even 4", which leads to the need for CA's, TB's, DS's, etc, etc, etc.

It's a slippery slope one you get over 3" and I aint ready to ski yet so I'm stickin to my BB for now.
See, that's kinda where I'm at. I'm not sure if I'll ever even need to go any higher. My interests really are going to be for the tinkering more than anything else. Not even mentioning 3 kids, a mortgage, etc sacking my mad money.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:05 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by XISophos View Post
See, that's kinda where I'm at. I'm not sure if I'll ever even need to go any higher. My interests really are going to be for the tinkering more than anything else. Not even mentioning 3 kids, a mortgage, etc sacking my mad money.
I heard that shit.

You didn't say (and I didn't look) if you have a Unlimited or a 2 door. From my recollections, many of the advertised 3" lifts are giving a good bit more than that, particularly on a 2dr.

I have no intentions of running larger than 33's until I hit 100K so I opted to snag some JKU Rubi springs and throw the TFBB on top of it. With this setup I have been able to take my time and upgrade the little things as time & $$$ allow. Longer brake lines to replace the OE with brackets, adj FTB to fix the minor axle offset, TF HD TB bracket to do the same out back, shocks to replace the OE with spacers. DS's are in order shortly as I have put nearly 40k on the front and 60k on the back and they're starting to look a little shaky. Down the road I'm planning some adjustable LCA's and DS's. Once thats done I'll be pretty close to 100K as well as have everything in place to go higher and I'll pull the trigger on a 3.5" spring lift & 35's... or 37's jeebus, it never ends...

Quote:
zjr- I'm not that horny, but I have been known to salivate over your meat.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:19 PM
Wheeler

Wow, I have the same stock set up as you and feel pretty much the same way. I have been debating as i will need new tires soon. Rims and tires and a lift actually kinda break the bank for me... but I sure would like a little better in the dirt handling.... keep us posted on your direction. I almost hate getting rid of my rims but the spacer things from spyder scare me a little bit. I went with rims on my last TJ and got the backspacing set up nice. I also priced a TFBB for this jeep and I am not sure I need it. Maybe I will stick with my rims and go with a little bit of a wider tire....
post #7 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottrock View Post
I heard that shit.

You didn't say (and I didn't look) if you have a Unlimited or a 2 door. From my recollections, many of the advertised 3" lifts are giving a good bit more than that, particularly on a 2dr.

I have no intentions of running larger than 33's until I hit 100K so I opted to snag some JKU Rubi springs and throw the TFBB on top of it. With this setup I have been able to take my time and upgrade the little things as time & $$$ allow. Longer brake lines to replace the OE with brackets, adj FTB to fix the minor axle offset, TF HD TB bracket to do the same out back, shocks to replace the OE with spacers. DS's are in order shortly as I have put nearly 40k on the front and 60k on the back and they're starting to look a little shaky. Down the road I'm planning some adjustable LCA's and DS's. Once thats done I'll be pretty close to 100K as well as have everything in place to go higher and I'll pull the trigger on a 3.5" spring lift & 35's... or 37's jeebus, it never ends...
Oops... I'm in an Unlimited.

It sounds like we're pretty much on the same page. Mine only has 37k on it, and 33's are about as big as I want to go... for now. Once I get some of the "bigger projects" like this done, I will probably focus more on the ancillaries in prep for the future stuff.

Was wondering if the 33's would push me toward changing up the gearing in the diff... any insight there?

Thanks again!
post #8 of 9 Old 04-09-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steveqvs View Post
Wow, I have the same stock set up as you and feel pretty much the same way. I have been debating as i will need new tires soon. Rims and tires and a lift actually kinda break the bank for me... but I sure would like a little better in the dirt handling.... keep us posted on your direction. I almost hate getting rid of my rims but the spacer things from spyder scare me a little bit. I went with rims on my last TJ and got the backspacing set up nice. I also priced a TFBB for this jeep and I am not sure I need it. Maybe I will stick with my rims and go with a little bit of a wider tire....
My tires are getting on the thin side, and that has me wondering where to go as well. I like a wider stance on vehicles in general, but given that I've got the 18" rims, I'm sort of wanting to back down to 17's just to give a bit more availability when I do get into the tire market. As far as back spacing... dude, I'm not even sure how much is needed vs. how much will end up trashing bearings down the road. Guess I'm a freakin' noob. At least I'm trying to learn.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-11-2010, 08:19 PM
Wheeler

Well on my tj I ordered the craiger soft 8 with 4.5 backspacing. That made my tires stick out about 1.5 or maybe even 2 inches from the fenders... throws up rocks sometimes but i did like the way it looked. I thought about looking for some 17 inch rims too... I just don't know. I like the alum rims I have that came stock... and there are choices for 18 inch tires out there... I guess unlike a lot of people out there I am not willing to spend huge sums of money for upgrades.... i like to keep it simple. The jeep performs so well stock, I can't justify big money for stuff I really don't need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode