Rear wheel squeak? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 02:32 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Rear wheel squeak?

I just bought a jeep last Saturday, and I already have it in the shop, which is infuriating. I have this horrible squeaking noise coming from the right rear wheel area. I did some research, and people are saying it could be a bent axle, or bent flange. I highly doubt this is possible since I noticed it on Sunday, and the jeep had less than 50 miles on it. So what could be causing this? I took the jeep to the dealership today, but they instilled absolutely no confidence in me, and I want my jeep back, not sitting in a garage. Someone said it could be the brake pads "floating" inside the caliper, and that's causing the squeaking. Is that realistic? So what's up guys?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 02:44 PM
Rock God

does sound just like a bent flange.. but with only 50 miles.. i wouldnt think so ?
post #3 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 02:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by block View Post
does sound just like a bent flange.. but with only 50 miles.. i wouldnt think so ?
I bought the jeep with 44 miles on it. So it had been test driven a little bit, but surely no one bent a flange on a test drive?! How involved is that to change? Meaning, how long am I probably going to be without my jeep?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Did it squeak on your test drive?.....

If it is the flange replacing the shaft is an easy job but your dealing with the dealership so who knows how long it will be there. They throw out some part on order bullshit have them pull a shaft off one on the lot if they need to.

Stock flanges are weak at best and could also have been tweaked during shipping possibly. Good luck getting it resolved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

www.4x4s-pod.com
post #5 of 18 Old 06-05-2015, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fklein6768 View Post
Did it squeak on your test drive?.....

If it is the flange replacing the shaft is an easy job but your dealing with the dealership so who knows how long it will be there. They throw out some part on order bullshit have them pull a shaft off one on the lot if they need to.

Stock flanges are weak at best and could also have been tweaked during shipping possibly. Good luck getting it resolved.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
They called me and told me they swear they can't hear a squeaking. I told them I would not be bringing my jeep back to them. I really don't want to do work on a jeep I've owned a week, but if it gets it done faster, I might. I hate dealing with dumb stuff like this...
post #6 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 06:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas. View Post
They called me and told me they swear they can't hear a squeaking. I told them I would not be bringing my jeep back to them.

That's what they want to hear, that it won't be coming back.

This is a brand new jeep? They need to make it right.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 06:43 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

I may be way off base here, and I may be jumping to conclusions, and I may be making a baseless accusation based on your age....

but did you do any offroading or wheeling within those first fifteen miles ???? try flexing it out ???? must have done something if it wasn't there during your test drive and then it was there the next day

I only ask because I know what i did with my first jeep at 18 !

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #8 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 08:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

mine does this to, i guess its the brakes as when i apply slight pedal it goes away. i have ten factory shafts so i hope the flange isnt bent on mine

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #9 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 09:40 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
I may be way off base here, and I may be jumping to conclusions, and I may be making a baseless accusation based on your age....

but did you do any offroading or wheeling within those first fifteen miles ???? try flexing it out ???? must have done something if it wasn't there during your test drive and then it was there the next day

I only ask because I know what i did with my first jeep at 18 !
No, And the only reason I didn't was because of the squeak. Otherwise I wouldn't have taken a second thought to it.
post #10 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 09:41 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
That's what they want to hear, that it won't be coming back.

This is a brand new jeep? They need to make it right.
It is brand new, and there is a dealership a lot closer to my house that I trust a lot more that is also a Jeep dealership, who will be getting my business. I just went to the first one because that was where I bought the Jeep. I guess my only recourse now is word-of-mouth and dealer reviews. But I've heard of dealers hassling people who give them bad reviews...
post #11 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 09:43 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
mine does this to, i guess its the brakes as when i apply slight pedal it goes away. i have ten factory shafts so i hope the flange isnt bent on mine
It's funny you say that because I read on another form that a guy figured out his caliper was allowing the pads to sort of float inside of the caliper, and without the proper pressure, they would squeak. He found some type of product that is applied to the back of the pads that stops them from moving around, and he said his squeak was gone. So I'm going to look into that! I absolutely hate that I have a brand new jeep under a week old, and I'm already doing my own maintenance. That was the whole reason I got out of my 12 year old truck!
post #12 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 10:42 AM
Granite Guru

Every time I do brakes I spray the backs of the pads with brake anti-squeal spray. It is available at all the major auto parts stores. Do not get it on the braking surface of the pad. It more or less glues the pad to the caliper pistons so the pads can't float around and squeal. It cleans off real easy with brake cleaner so it not something that is permanent or thing to worry about.
post #13 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyJLH View Post
Every time I do brakes I spray the backs of the pads with brake anti-squeal spray. It is available at all the major auto parts stores. Do not get it on the braking surface of the pad. It more or less glues the pad to the caliper pistons so the pads can't float around and squeal. It cleans off real easy with brake cleaner so it not something that is permanent or thing to worry about.
Is there a cure time for this product? I'm very mechanically incline, but never owned a jeep. Anything special or out of the ordinary required for this? I assume just pull caliper, slide out pads, apply product, and reverse?
post #14 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 11:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Is there a cure time for this product? I'm very mechanically incline, but never owned a jeep. Anything special or out of the ordinary required for this? I assume just pull caliper, slide out pads, apply product, and reverse?

You can pull the caliper if you are also doing anything to the rotor like turning it or replacing it. If not, just remove the caliper slide bolts to get to the pads.

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #15 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 04:04 PM
Rock God

https://www.bgprod.com/catalog/brake.../#bg-product-7

this is a brake anti Squeal Product I give highest recommendations to. You apply it directly to the face of the pad. Also use synthetic brake grease on the caliper pins to ensure the caliper is free to slide on them.
post #16 of 18 Old 06-06-2015, 09:35 PM
Rock God

Garage

If the sound is constant, then it's probably just a floating pad. It's a common issue and easy to fix, as others have said. Also, the OEM pads are notorious for squealing, so even if you get your "problem"squeal to go away, you may have a squeal on braking.

On the other hand, a bent flange will not make a constant sound. Instead, as the flange wobbles out of true, you will get a cyclical sound, maybe even as pronounced as a "squeak, squeak, squeak, squeak, . . ."

I would recommend the anti-squeal spray or grease, or whatever product you want to try, and then if that doesn't fix it, do some diagnostic work to try and isolate where the issue is. BUT (and this is the proverbial big but), if this is a brand new Jeep, then the Dealer ought to be doing ALL of this, and doing it at no charge. Yes, you'll be out of your Jeep for a while, but if it's an issue, press them for a loaner.

And if you can't get satisfaction from the dealer, you can always escalate it , even to the regional customer service rep from Jeep if need be. It's the selling dealer's job to take care of any little issues that crop up after the sale. If he doesn't, then he's not representing the manufacturer in such a way as to keep their customers.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #17 of 18 Old 06-08-2015, 06:07 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
It dries in 5 minutes.
post #18 of 18 Old 06-09-2015, 06:41 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
I just bought a jeep last Saturday, and I already have it in the shop, which is infuriating. I have this horrible squeaking noise coming from the right rear wheel area. I did some research, and people are saying it could be a bent axle, or bent flange. I highly doubt this is possible since I noticed it on Sunday, and the jeep had less than 50 miles on it. So what could be causing this? I took the jeep to the dealership today, but they instilled absolutely no confidence in me, and I want my jeep back, not sitting in a garage. Someone said it could be the brake pads "floating" inside the caliper, and that's causing the squeaking. Is that realistic? So what's up guys?
I'm in your same shoes. bought mine about a month ago and had the same inconsistent squeak noise from the right side at certain speeds. I didn't worry too much about it because I figured it was a brand new car and all the components were just getting settled in. Im at about ~1500 miles now and don't notice it anymore so it may have fixed itself.....or I'm pushing the limits of my alpine system more often

Yes it's fun
No you can't drive it
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode