OEM Fog lights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 06-04-2015, 04:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

OEM Fog lights

OK I got a question on OEM fogs lights that seems to make no sense to me. I bought a 2011 Sport, the lights are in the bumper, and wired. The light control on the steering column has a small knob that says slide but it will not move or slide in any way. The light control also does not have an automatic setting for the lights on it. So can I just get a different switch that has the fog light switch and automatic light position on it and swap it out to get both working?

Should I forget about the switch and just wire the lights directly from a new switch?

Appreciate any help

Randy
Bethlehem Pa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-04-2015, 09:19 AM
Wheeler

From your description it sounds like you are trying to turn them on without the lights being on. Rotate the switch so the park lights (marker lights whatever) are on and then pull the end of the switch out towards the door. This is how the OEM fogs function in my '08 JKUR YMMV. As far as the auto setting I'm unsure as the 2011's had the new interior. From experience with previous Chrysler products the Chrysler 300/charger/magnum cars had a small tab that prevented the switch from rotating to the 'auto' position, but Chrysler fitted all of the models with the light sensor regardless of trim level. So in those cars it was removing the switch plate, cutting off the tab, and reinstalling....I somehow doubt they did something like this with the Wrangler though.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-05-2015, 12:42 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerat View Post
OK I got a question on OEM fogs lights that seems to make no sense to me. I bought a 2011 Sport, the lights are in the bumper, and wired. The light control on the steering column has a small knob that says slide but it will not move or slide in any way. The light control also does not have an automatic setting for the lights on it. So can I just get a different switch that has the fog light switch and automatic light position on it and swap it out to get both working?

Should I forget about the switch and just wire the lights directly from a new switch?

Appreciate any help

Randy
Bethlehem Pa
Pics help. Not sure if the Sport models came with the factory fogs, but if not it may be that a PO added the lights and never finished making them functional by changing to the correct turn signal stalk. Like 3VOL said, only the very end cap of the stalk is supposed to slide out toward the door. The auto headlight option (or lack thereof) is a separate issue. Also like 3VOL said, the 2011 was the first year of the new interior, so it should be the same as my '12. The only thing I can think of is that it may be a trim level issue, I.e., that the Sport models were not originally equipped with the fogs.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 06-05-2015, 03:01 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
Pics help. Not sure if the Sport models came with the factory fogs, but if not it may be that a PO added the lights and never finished making them functional by changing to the correct turn signal stalk. Like 3VOL said, only the very end cap of the stalk is supposed to slide out toward the door. The auto headlight option (or lack thereof) is a separate issue. Also like 3VOL said, the 2011 was the first year of the new interior, so it should be the same as my '12. The only thing I can think of is that it may be a trim level issue, I.e., that the Sport models were not originally equipped with the fogs.
I have a 2010 Sport that has factory fogs. And they turn on with that sliding thingie on the stalk.

Kevin
post #5 of 7 Old 06-05-2015, 05:30 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Final version

Thanks everyone, I hate to admit it , but is is my first JK, but it was purely a operational problem, me, I did not realize the lights had to be on to make the fog lite switch move.

Thanks eveyone
post #6 of 7 Old 06-14-2015, 02:41 PM
Wheeler

Wink OEM Fog lights

Here's just another tip, when you do pull out the stalk and turn on your fog lights, your high beams will NOT stay activated when the stalk is pulled..Can't use both at the same time.

~Ed~
post #7 of 7 Old 06-15-2015, 06:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

But if you have the auto lights, leave the stalk pulled out and lights on, never have to think about it!

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode