JK Power - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 03:01 PM Thread Starter
mj

JK Power

Besides turbos and superchargers, is there a way to increase power and torque in the 3.8L 2010 Wrangler that will actually work??
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 03:53 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

NOX

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #3 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 03:54 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 04:13 PM
JKO Addict!

an engineering company are putting the Viper throttle body with some slight adjustments done..and getting 45hp..

There is another company doing something similar with just a larger throttle body..

Current project jeep 08' wrangler 2dr
Past jeep:
- 07' Rubicon 4 dr, RAMICON- 3.5" ROCK KRAWLER Coil-Over lift
- 5.38 gears- Gusseted/Trussed/inner sleeved
- 40" Pro Comp X-Terrain

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 04:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj View Post
Besides turbos and superchargers, is there a way to increase power and torque in the 3.8L 2010 Wrangler that will actually work??
I've actually decided that I'm gonna wait to do my engine mods until I get the 6.1 SRT8. If that doesn't give me more of what you're talkin bout then I'll think about a turbo. In others no not really.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 04:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Nitrous. Lots of it.

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #7 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post
an engineering company are putting the Viper throttle body with some slight adjustments done..and getting 45hp..

There is another company doing something similar with just a larger throttle body..
This maybe...but it's all really new (as far as I've read or heard) and I haven't seen anybody post real numbers yet. There is a feeling by some the JK is choked at the TB and it may yield actual results. Probably not the kind of power you're hoping for though.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #8 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 04:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodysgotacuda View Post
Nitrous. Lots of it.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
post #9 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 06:32 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourplyn View Post

I was reading about this on the other forum. The guy who said that its possible put up a part number but it was actually for the late model 4.7 found in Durangos. I believe it is a 70mm throttle body. The part number for the viper is just one letter off so I guess they are almost identical. My friend has a 07 Durango so I might try to get his throttle body to try out before shelling out cash to buy my own.

There was another company that machines out the JK throttle from 62mm to 67 I think and Jack from Avenger was supposed to get some to dyno (hopefully on my JK) but havent heard anything about that for a while.
post #10 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 06:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I dont know of any turbo kit on the market for a JK so unless you want to do some heavy R&D on your own dime, this isnt even an option.

You can always drop in a hemi or sometime next year Jeep Speed Shop should have an LSxx swap for the JK.

There are other options (cat back exhaust, cold air, reprogram)that will give you significantly smaller gains.

Personnally, best bang for the buck is the Avenger Super Charger. I got one on mine and cant imagine driving a JK without one again.

What type of gains are you looking for? Budget?
post #11 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 07:23 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Ah, the quest for more power....just saying
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #12 of 26 Old 04-08-2010, 07:53 PM
JKO Addict!

Gears, pure and simple. Though it isnt technicaly adding any power it gives you more access to the available power.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #13 of 26 Old 04-12-2010, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
mj

What kind of money are you talking with the Avenger?
post #14 of 26 Old 04-12-2010, 06:29 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
What kind of money are you talking with the Avenger?
The kit goes for 4500 I believe.
post #15 of 26 Old 04-12-2010, 07:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Would like to know what impact porting has had...
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showth...070#post403070

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them." John Wayne - The Shootist

post #16 of 26 Old 04-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by ALASHA View Post

You can always drop in a hemi or sometime next year Jeep Speed Shop should have an LSxx swap for the JK.

I'm interested to see what they can do with the LS platform. The ls7 makes a lot of power yet it still gets like 25+ mpg. The only problem is the conversion wont be street legal.
post #17 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 07:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wranglerblackout08 View Post
I'm interested to see what they can do with the LS platform. The ls7 makes a lot of power yet it still gets like 25+ mpg. The only problem is the conversion wont be street legal.
only problem? A brand new LS7 runs roughly 14K. Finding a used one isnt going to be cheap either. You are getting 25+ mpg in a lightweight aerodynamic sports car. You will not get that in a JK. Dont forget the LS7 is 7.0 liters which is quite a bit bigger than the 6.1 Hemi. A friend of mine has a Z06 with an LS7 in it so I know exactly what that engine can do and its awesome but unless you are doing a BIG bucks build, an LS7 in a JK is on a whole other playing field. One can always dream...
post #18 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 09:19 AM
Rock God

Quote:
only problem? A brand new LS7 runs roughly 14K. Finding a used one isnt going to be cheap either. You are getting 25+ mpg in a lightweight aerodynamic sports car. You will not get that in a JK. Dont forget the LS7 is 7.0 liters which is quite a bit bigger than the 6.1 Hemi. A friend of mine has a Z06 with an LS7 in it so I know exactly what that engine can do and its awesome but unless you are doing a BIG bucks build, an LS7 in a JK is on a whole other playing field. One can always dream...
Well of course there are other problems. A 7.0L hemi runs about $17k... I rather have a LS7 for 14K. Its comparing apples to oranges though. I think a 454 LSX would be better fit... Talk about raw power! I think plenty of people will do the swap once they work out all of the tuning. A lot more people are doing the 7.0l hemi swaps and just imagine how much money they are forking over.
post #19 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 09:26 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Well of course there are other problems. A 7.0L hemi runs about $17k... I rather have a LS7 for 14K. Its comparing apples to oranges though. I think a 454 LSX would be better fit... Talk about raw power! I think plenty of people will do the swap once they work out all of the tuning. A lot more people are doing the 7.0l hemi swaps and just imagine how much money they are forking over.
7.0 Hemi run about the same as an LS7 if you shop around (http://www.bouchillonperformance.com...ENGINESRT8.asp). Also correct me if I am wrong but the LSX block is iron while the LS7 block is aluminum so if I had the money, sleeved LS7 all the way.

Also "a lot more people doing the 7.0l hemi swaps"? Sorry, but that is still a VERY small crowd. Not to be mean but I think your getting caught up in the SEMA, EJS hyped up vehicles.
post #20 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 09:46 AM
Rock God

Quote:
7.0 Hemi run about the same as an LS7 if you shop around (http://www.bouchillonperformance.com...ENGINESRT8.asp). Also correct me if I am wrong but the LSX block is iron while the LS7 block is aluminum so if I had the money, sleeved LS7 all the way.

Also "a lot more people doing the 7.0l hemi swaps"? Sorry, but that is still a VERY small crowd. Not to be mean but I think your getting caught up in the SEMA, EJS hyped up vehicles.

I think the price show is without the core which is usually another 3k. You are correct it is iron. The aluminum LS7 revs to 7k which isnt very useful for the JK and its also built for the light weight chassis of the z06. Thats why I mentioned the 454 which offers 500tq almost immediately and all the way to 6k rpms.

How do you know how many 7.0l's are running around? There are plenty of people that do swaps that never post about them on forums or shows. There is a shop over in UAE that only does 7.0l swaps because they dont feel the 6.1 has enough power. Burnsville has done a couple now. I have read on various non jk related forums of hemi shops building 6.4s,7.0ls and even a 7.2l though i think it was shipped to australia.

Just comes down to $$$$

Last edited by wranglerblackout08; 04-13-2010 at 09:52 AM.
post #21 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 10:18 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I think the price show is without the core which is usually another 3k. You are correct it is iron. The aluminum LS7 revs to 7k which isnt very useful for the JK and its also built for the light weight chassis of the z06. Thats why I mentioned the 454 which offers 500tq almost immediately and all the way to 6k rpms.

How do you know how many 7.0l's are running around? There are plenty of people that do swaps that never post about them on forums or shows. There is a shop over in UAE that only does 7.0l swaps because they dont feel the 6.1 has enough power. Burnsville has done a couple now. I have read on various non jk related forums of hemi shops building 6.4s,7.0ls and even a 7.2l though i think it was shipped to australia.

Just comes down to $$$$

That price is for a ready to drop in crate engine, no core charge so its comparitively priced. The CAM that you put in the engine is what will be the driving force in dictating where you get your power. The fact that the LS7 revs to 7K doesnt mean that you dont get any power down low, quite the contrary. The LS7 might be focused towards a lightweight sports chassis but there is nothing that will hinder it from performing amazingly well in a JK.

The 7.0 Hemi is rated at 595 tq so it can more than handle its own against a 454.

I dont know how many people there are running around wiht 7.0 hemi nor do i judge what I read on forums as an exact representation of whats out there in the real world. Your mentioning the UAE where money is no object and vehicles primarily built to show off a shop's skills. Are there 7.0+ hemis running around? of course. Are there alot of them? no way not with that cost and this economy.
post #22 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 10:34 AM
Rock God

Quote:
That price is for a ready to drop in crate engine, no core charge so its comparitively priced. The CAM that you put in the engine is what will be the driving force in dictating where you get your power. The fact that the LS7 revs to 7K doesnt mean that you dont get any power down low, quite the contrary. The LS7 might be focused towards a lightweight sports chassis but there is nothing that will hinder it from performing amazingly well in a JK.

The 7.0 Hemi is rated at 595 tq so it can more than handle its own against a 454.

I dont know how many people there are running around wiht 7.0 hemi nor do i judge what I read on forums as an exact representation of whats out there in the real world. Your mentioning the UAE where money is no object and vehicles primarily built to show off a shop's skills. Are there 7.0+ hemis running around? of course. Are there alot of them? no way not with that cost and this economy.
Thats a pretty [email protected] good price. I saw Arrington offers a complete 426/440 but i want to say it was closer to 17k. Im curious to see what they can do with the ls7. Obviously its one hell of an engine, but shops like burnsville are just now getting the tuning dialed in on the hemi's. So just imagine how long it will take JSS to figure out the tuning to get 505hp to the wheels. You also have to look at drivetrain loss.

Im sure we will hear/see more of these builds in the future once the economy picks up. Your never the same once the mod bugs bite. First your okay with 420hp.. then you want 500hp... then 550hp.

I personally would like to see some engine builders try and unlock more power out of the 3.8l jk engine. Im sure there is some more power than can be squeezed out of there. There is a lot more demand for that than there is with the hemi's.

Its great to see that there are more options available for the jk though.
post #23 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 10:42 AM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Sounds like this has turned into a redneck chevy vs dodge thread....

Anyway isn't jk and power an oxymoron???
post #24 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 11:20 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thats a pretty [email protected] good price. I saw Arrington offers a complete 426/440 but i want to say it was closer to 17k. Im curious to see what they can do with the ls7. Obviously its one hell of an engine, but shops like burnsville are just now getting the tuning dialed in on the hemi's. So just imagine how long it will take JSS to figure out the tuning to get 505hp to the wheels. You also have to look at drivetrain loss.

Im sure we will hear/see more of these builds in the future once the economy picks up. Your never the same once the mod bugs bite. First your okay with 420hp.. then you want 500hp... then 550hp.

I personally would like to see some engine builders try and unlock more power out of the 3.8l jk engine. Im sure there is some more power than can be squeezed out of there. There is a lot more demand for that than there is with the hemi's.

Its great to see that there are more options available for the jk though.
You will never get 505 to the wheels out of an NA LS7 running through a JK drivetrain (at least not on a dyno dynamics dyno).

I installed the performance tune that came with my Trinity before the Avenger was installed and it picked up 10 wheel hp so there is some room for improvement on the stock 3.8 but no much especially with 4 cats.
post #25 of 26 Old 04-13-2010, 11:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Sounds like this has turned into a redneck chevy vs dodge thread....

Anyway isn't jk and power an oxymoron???
This is definately not redneck since there is a lack of carbuerators in the discussion

An engine is an engine, get it breathing and running right and it will give you power. The 3.8 is pretty restrictive in terms of flow which can be corrected so it can make some pretty descent power. The other problem is the 4 speed Auto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode