Buying a JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 05:39 AM Thread Starter

Buying a JK

Hey everyone this will be my first post here, being that I am coming from the dark side of things( The FJ forum). I am planing on buying a unlimited Rubicon this week my question to you is how much should I pay? With the options I have selected the total price comes out to $37,905 MSRP. What should I actually pay?

The reason for buy a jeep in a nut shell is solid front axle! I had my FJ with a 6in lift, 35s and tons of other goodies but kept breaking things. I plan on running the teraflex 6in long arm kit with evo coilovers to help make room for a 40in tire. also plan on going with a dana 60 front and rear. Anyways any advice would help thanks every one.

P.S. dont tell anyone but I have always wanted a jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 05:44 AM
Rock God

Your best bet is to buy a 2wd unlimited and use that as your base. You'll be much better off and the price is about half of what you're looking at. Trust me. If you plan to run 40's and all that other stuff just start with the 2wd. You'll probably want to run an Atlas and you'll have to run a built up axle (e.g. 60's) if you want to keep reliability.
post #3 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 06:00 AM
Rock God

What he said^^

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 08:54 AM Thread Starter

so just say im a dumb ass and still want the Rubicon what should I pay?
post #5 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 09:15 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by runuover View Post
so just say im a dumb ass and still want the Rubicon what should I pay?
If you got invoice -mius rebates that would be considered a deal right now.

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #6 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 10:38 AM
Rock God

I've seen $5K off MSRP in the papers here. I'm not sure how that lines up with what Jason mentioned but it should give you some more info as to what's happening in my neck of the woods.

Dealers here seem to have a lot of supply.
post #7 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 10:57 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Why on earth would you want a rubi to start extensive mods on it as you said? At the very least if you don't want to start with a 2wd,then buy an X or sport. Welcome to JKO btw.

Somethin's happenin' here,what it is ain't exactly clear,there's a man with a gun over there,a tellin' me,I have to beware.....
post #8 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:28 AM Thread Starter

I completely understand where you guys are coming from but here is my thought process. If i don't get the Rubicon that means I don't get the dana 44s and the better transfer case. So if i want to do any wheeling before I get the dana 60s im kinda SOL (and lets be honest you and i know the first things i will do is a lift and tires). But its just a thought I greatly appreciate all the advice I can get and the warm welcome, I think im gonna like this jeep thing.
post #9 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:29 AM
Trail Concepts Hmfic

Garage

BTW the $1,000 GMAC rebate ends on Monday

Jason

Jeep Sales/Jeep JK Conversions/Parts
602-314-5356 or

/
/

Rock Krawler American Expedition Vehicles Poly Performance Spod RCV Performance Dynatrac Poison Spyder Magnuson Superchargers Rock Monster Wheels Surprise Straps
post #10 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 11:30 AM
Rock God

I understand where you're coming from. I think we were under the impression that you were going to rip it all apart right away.

Welcome to the site and although we can be a bit direct at times, we're here to help.

When you're ready to do the hemi conversion...let me know. Piece o'cake!!!
post #11 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 12:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

The 2WD is a great option if you plan to do everything at once.

I chose the X because I knew that my mods would come gradually over time in stages; Lift / Tires / driveshafts, D60 / lockers / gears, transfer case, etc.

With an X, I still had a usable 4x4 between build stages. With a 2WD, I would have been without a 4x4 for a year or more.
post #12 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 12:36 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
The 2WD is a great option if you plan to do everything at once.

I chose the X because I knew that my mods would come gradually over time in stages; Lift / Tires / driveshafts, D60 / lockers / gears, transfer case, etc.

With an X, I still had a usable 4x4 between build stages. With a 2WD, I would have been without a 4x4 for a year or more.
I have a 2wd, been without the 4x4 for 6 months now....Maybe I should have thought things through a little first and got 4x4...now I have to wait before I can afford my conversion. Just one more year...It can't come soon enough
In the mean time I have thrown in a 2.5"BB with 33s, 5.13s and an Eaton locker, plus some other stuff.

Runuover: If you're set on the Rubi go for it, but IMO go for the basic model and use the extra cheddar on your mods, it really has helped out in my case, minus the 4x4 thing. Ohh and when you put in an atlas and take out your Rubi t-case...PM me

Last edited by jeepRcreepR; 04-08-2010 at 12:41 PM.
post #13 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 01:04 PM
Granite Guru

My piddly little X will hold it's own with any stock Rubicon. But, it's your money and you seem to have plenty to spend.. Haha... Besides, you'll have those "cool" decals on your hood.... ha ....

Welcome to JKO!!

post #14 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Wheeler

If you want the Rubicon, get the Rubicon.

If you go to

edmunds.com

They give you MSRP, Invoice and the common transaction price and current rebates. That should do it for you.

Allen
post #15 of 15 Old 04-08-2010, 01:35 PM
Granite Guru

Or just go get a 44 from a junk yard and put a solid front axle under your FJ for < $1k

$38k seems recockulous for something you are going to tear apart and completely change all the running gear on anyway.

That's my 2 cents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode