Looking at Rubi HR. Dealer wants full msrp? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 05-31-2015, 08:52 PM Thread Starter

Looking at Rubi HR. Dealer wants full msrp?

Hey guys, I'm shopping for a JK and have been looking at the Rubicons a bit.(still not 100% sold on this model) I have only found a few locally that I am interested in and one of them the dealership told me they sell them at full msrp because they are hard to come by.
Anyone else have the same experience with a Rubicon Hard Rock? I figured for the large amount of money the hard rock goes for, there would be some wiggle room on the price, but so far not so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 05-31-2015, 09:42 PM
Granite Guru

Wranglers don't have to move much on pricing to sell but if you were local I would sell you one at invoice, no problem. At my dealership we move a lot of units, we don't sit on them when someone is standing there ready to buy... I don't care how "rare" the unit might be.
[email protected]
post #3 of 16 Old 05-31-2015, 09:48 PM
Granite Guru

try another dealership, specifically one that does a lot of volume. i've found that they will typically give you a much better deal on the exact same vehicle... and by "same vehicle" i don't even mean something with the same specs, i mean the exact same vehicle that is currently sitting on the lot of the dealership that isn't willing to negotiate with you.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 05-31-2015, 10:27 PM
Granite Guru

Yeah, I second going to a different dealer. I've never paid msrp for any vehicle. Some dealerships think they can charge what ever they want. I have a friend that was looking at a jeep went to several dealerships and told them straight up what his best offer for the same vehicle was and asked if they could beat the price. He had one salesman that called him after he had give a higher price and said he could have matched the price. To which my friend responded well why didn't you I told you what my best price I had was. The salesman hung up on my freind.

opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and some stink
post #5 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 12:29 AM
Rock God

Garage

I would also recommend going elsewhere. But if you just wanted to mess with the jerk dealer who thinks his Jeeps are better than anyone else's, tell him you've decided to just order one. Go through the time and effort to spec one out exactly the way you want it, let them spend 2 hours trying to find one somewhere in the country, and then when they can't duplicate your exact specs, and have no other choice to earn your business but to order it, then if they won't budge on the price, walk away.

Many dealers will make you a better price on one they order because it's sold from the get go and they don't have to hold it in inventory. Another nice thing about this is you don't have to pay for equipment you don't want. When I ordered mine in 2012, every Rubicon I could find on a lot near me was 45k or up because the dealers wanted to load them up with leather, navigation, etc. etc., ad nauseum. I ended up doing business with a dealer in Modesto, over an hour away because they acted like they actually wanted my business. To do that, I literally drove past one dealer, and ignored a few others who were closer, but in the other direction. I saved almost $2k off MSRP, and $10k or better over what I was finding on the lots. I know not everyone can stand the wait, but to me it was totally worth it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Here's my order sheet:

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 02:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My first Jeep was a new 2008 i bought in December of that year and I paid 22k for it which was 7k under MSRP. It was a fully loaded 2 door Sahara. There was only 3 2008's left on the lot to choose from.

The duty of a patriot is to protect his country from its government.-Thomas Paine

See Garage for Mods
post #7 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 06:49 AM
Wheeler

Garage

join Treadlightly. Get the Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice)

it's super simple. no need to negotiate.
post #8 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 11:11 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post
join Treadlightly. Get the Affiliate Rewards Program Preferred Price (1% below factory invoice)

This is what I did on my '15. I automatically got the money back just with the discount tire coupon they gave me with the membership packet. Well worth the $100. Saved quite a bit of money.

Proud to be One of Uncle Sam's Misguided Children 2001-2010.

Semper Fi
post #9 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 11:31 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the info guy! I stopped by a couple different dealerships today and seem to have gotten a better response about negotiating price so far. We also just found out that we belong to another affiliate program that will get us the 1% under invoice price.

I may just end up having to order a jeep if I can't find what I want on the lot. Most of these Jk's seem to have a ton of expensive options that I have no interest in.
post #10 of 16 Old 06-01-2015, 06:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by SecTxAg06 View Post

Now that would've been nice to know 3 years ago!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Centurion75 View Post
Most of these Jk's seem to have a ton of expensive options that I have no interest in.
That's exactly what I'm talking about. I'm done buying what the dealer wants to sell me.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #11 of 16 Old 06-02-2015, 10:21 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
I would also recommend going elsewhere. But if you just wanted to mess with the jerk dealer who thinks his Jeeps are better than anyone else's, tell him you've decided to just order one. Go through the time and effort to spec one out exactly the way you want it, let them spend 2 hours trying to find one somewhere in the country, and then when they can't duplicate your exact specs, and have no other choice to earn your business but to order it, then if they won't budge on the price, walk away.

Many dealers will make you a better price on one they order because it's sold from the get go and they don't have to hold it in inventory. Another nice thing about this is you don't have to pay for equipment you don't want. When I ordered mine in 2012, every Rubicon I could find on a lot near me was 45k or up because the dealers wanted to load them up with leather, navigation, etc. etc., ad nauseum. I ended up doing business with a dealer in Modesto, over an hour away because they acted like they actually wanted my business. To do that, I literally drove past one dealer, and ignored a few others who were closer, but in the other direction. I saved almost $2k off MSRP, and $10k or better over what I was finding on the lots. I know not everyone can stand the wait, but to me it was totally worth it, and I would do it again in a heartbeat. Here's my order sheet:

agree with this. when I ordered mine it went very nicely and I saved money. I did have the advantage of cash sale so no financing to worry about. even easier to negotiate that way.
post #12 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 12:06 AM
Wheeler

B.S. I had a dealer try to tell me that exact same thing and I laughed in his face. He wasn't happy with that, but then started backpedaling when I turned to walk out the door. I didn't buy from there, but ended up getting my base model, 2 option, Sport 2 door (see sig) for well under invoice. There is plenty of room to move on Wranglers. Don't let anyone try to tell you otherwise! As was suggested, go to a high volume dealer like I did. Mine also happened to be a no-commission sales staff, so they almost sold my Wrangler to me for what they paid for it after my trade-in! They found the exact vehicle I wanted at another dealership in Pennsylvania and they traded them a fully loaded Grand Cherokee for it!

2013 COMMANDO GREEN
6-Speed, A/C, 3.73's
Support the 2nd Amendment - It's your right!
MOLON LABE

Last edited by Scott2373; 06-03-2015 at 12:15 AM.
post #13 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 05:21 AM
Wheeler

When I bought my rubicon I went in at the end of the month because I heard dealerships need to fill a certain quota by the end of each month. This might be true because they were EXTREMELY lenient with negotiating the price. You might want to try this out

Yes it's fun
No you can't drive it
post #14 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 06:38 AM
Rock God

The key is finding a great Dealership to work with. I had my old Rubicon and was looking for an update and instead of the 6spd the new one needed an auto trans (Wifes in put on the purchase). I have Brenner who is less then 1 mile from my home in Mechanicsburg. Personally I have never had a good experience dealing with the sales staff there. I opted to return to Hondru in E-Town. They did me right when I bought my first Rubicon there and did me even better this time around on the 2014. I have also noted that all of my companies fleet vans com from them as well. So if you are in the Harrisburg PA area that is a dealership I enjoyed working with and can give recommendations for. I had talked to Freedom on 22 but just did not have warm fuzzies as they were only trying to give me a fraction of what my old Rubicon should have pulled on trade. After I brought up about it being to low on the trade the sales man talked to the sales manager and came up a little more but still did not get close to what I should have gotten and what I ended up getting for the Rubi at Hondru.
post #15 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 10:33 AM Thread Starter

Skidmark, I was actually looking into the Rubicon at the end of the month. It was still a no go as far as negotiating.
I am dealing with a different dealership now and they are looking for a package I am interested in. I should know today if they found it. If not, I am just going to order what I want and wait. My last phone call with them sounds promising though so I am hoping they found my rig!
post #16 of 16 Old 06-03-2015, 02:21 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhrogMech46 View Post
My first Jeep was a new 2008 i bought in December of that year and I paid 22k for it which was 7k under MSRP. It was a fully loaded 2 door Sahara. There was only 3 2008's left on the lot to choose from.
Same here, drove 3 hours to purchase a left over 08. Got 12K off MSRP, when my local dealer wouldn't budge on the price. How I love bringing my Rubi into him to do the warranty work and recalls... Told him the price I got it for and his eyes almost fell out of his head.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode