Buying used - what to look for? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 12:15 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Buying used - what to look for?

Looking at a few used 2007 4dr Xs (manuals) on the cheaper end of the price range so they are higher mileage, curious if there are any known issues to look for.

The way I see it is the mileage doesn't mean too much these days, I've seen vehicles fail components coming off the delivery truck and I've seen vehicles last forever. Electronics complicate that, but my concern is not so much for the possibility that something electrical might go out since that could happen at any time but more the longevity of the mechanical hardware in the drive-train. So anything I should look out for or any reasonable data on the longevity of the engine aside from the electronics? Of course previous maintenance matters but that will be an unknown to me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 04-07-2010, 12:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Do the simple stuff:

make sure every button, switch, and lever works and does what its supposed to.

Take a long test drive, 50+ miles if you can over various roads, feel how it drives, listen for noises, check for things like vibrations, squeals, etc.

Put it in 4wd and make sure it works.

look underneath for scrapes, scratches, dents, etc. These are evedince of hard off-roading. Though not bad it should cause you to make sure all maintanance has been done.

If you can afford it, take it to a private mechanic of your choosing for a thurough inspection before you buy. Most mechanics will charge $50-$100 to do this for you and can not only inspect the vehicle but read any hard or soft codes the computer may have.

United States Army 1997-Present

When a life or death decision must be made in seconds.....the police are only a minute away.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Yeah I plan on reading the codes and looking it over and test driving, just wasn't sure if there were any big known issues to look for in the drive train?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 01:20 PM
Rock God

Garage

Hmm.. Make sure you get a 4-wheel drive. There was a guy (on here I think) a while back who didn't check to see and he wound up buying a 2-wheel drive. Yeah, I dunno what he was thinkin'!!

Anyway, run it like mentioned above and have the AC cranked. It'll help run the engine harder, so you can see if it'll overheat on ya.

Oh, and If it has the original battery, you may wanna ask'em to throw in a new one for ya.

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Sounds like there are no known major issues, I haven't found any searching around either. Other than the usual 3.8L versus 4.0L talk.

Thanks!
post #6 of 6 Old 04-08-2010, 01:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Naa, It's a pretty sound rig IMO.

Have fun shopping!!!

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode