Hard time finding perfect JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 07:19 AM Thread Starter

Hard time finding perfect JK

Hey everyone,
My wife and I are looking hard at a JK and we both have options requirements. She wants the Freedom hard top and I want black fenders. She wants red and I want the rear equiped with the electric locker (which also forces the elec sway bar disconnect).
We are having REAL problems finding an X model with all of these options from a dealership. Is it possible to get this jeep? Will it have to be special ordered? We'd really rather not spend 35k on a rubicon.
Thanks for any advice...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Alec W

The electric sway bar disco only comes with the Rubicon and is independent of the lockers.
post #3 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter

That makes sense, however when I "build my jeep" on jeep.com when I put the rear locker option on it, a pop up box tells me that the ASB disconnect will be automatically included (for the tune of another $750).

Makes it seem like I can't get one without the other.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 08:24 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

as to the fender gig, unless you go with a sahara, you get black fenders - painted fenders are a sahara trait
As far as the locker you can always install an aftermarket
good luck and welcome to the site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #5 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 08:42 AM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

The Elec swaybar disconnect is an option on the "X" models.

Where in the country are you located? I know a few dealers on the west coast that jumped on ordering the "X" model jeeps with the now available rear locker and elec disconnect.

This became an option less then two months ago and with a 6 week build time unless dealers jumped on this right away there is no chance they have one.
post #6 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 09:37 AM Thread Starter

venom - a local dealership said he could throw some of the black fenders on a saraha if we really wanted them, however they couldn't install the locker. It'd have to be ordered.

vegasjeep - We're in Virginia. I doubt any of our local dealers jumped on getting any 'x' models with the locker option.

Might just live with no locker and install an after market later on.

Thanks guys.
post #7 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 09:46 AM
Alec W

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
The Elec swaybar disconnect is an option on the "X" models.
I stand corrected, thought it was a Rubi thing.
post #8 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 10:40 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamNonStop View Post
venom - a local dealership said he could throw some of the black fenders on a saraha if we really wanted them, however they couldn't install the locker. It'd have to be ordered.
I wonder what that would do to the value at trade-in/resale time?
Since the painted fenders are a 'feature' of the sahara package.
I'm sure the painted fenders cost a lot more, so if you do go for a sahara with 'standard' fenders, you should really be entitled to some sort of allowance since they get to keep the more expensive part and replace it with a cheaper part.
Realistically though, they'll probably want to charge you for a set of flares AND keep the painted ones.

When I bought my JK, they were super scarce. The local dealer couldn't find me a Rubi at all, let alone exactly what I wanted - they were talking a 4 month wait on ordering one. 1 dealer about 50 miles away had a Rubi on the lot, and they were willing to deal on it (small town in the middle of nowhere in TX) so I ended up with my 3rd choice of colors and it didn't have mygig, but I've really grown to like the redrock and you can buy a heck of a stereo/dvd/nav sysytem for a lot less than the $1200 Jeep gets for mygig!

Luckily things have changed now and they're more plentiful and hopefully you can get exactly what you want!

Of course, that being the situation, NOW the dealer a mile from my house has a Detonator Yellow Rubi with mygig sitting there taunting me every day, daring me to trade

Quote:
post #9 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 11:15 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I wonder what that would do to the value at trade-in/resale time?
Since the painted fenders are a 'feature' of the sahara package.
I'm sure the painted fenders cost a lot more, so if you do go for a sahara with 'standard' fenders, you should really be entitled to some sort of allowance since they get to keep the more expensive part and replace it with a cheaper part.
Realistically though, they'll probably want to charge you for a set of flares AND keep the painted ones.
Maybe I'll buy the black fenders and keep both sets just in case we decide to trade it at some point. Atleast then I would be paying for something I didn't get. I'm gonna keep looking...

The wifey says she wants it before beach time (~1 month) so ordering is out.
post #10 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Quote:
Maybe I'll buy the black fenders and keep both sets just in case we decide to trade it at some point. Atleast then I would be paying for something I didn't get. I'm gonna keep looking...

The wifey says she wants it before beach time (~1 month) so ordering is out.
the fenders will never add value on trade in or on resale in 99% of the cases. you could buy a sahara and buy some take off black fender flares in new condition from someone who had upgraded.
sell the painted flares on ebay and ill bet you will and up getting what you paid for the black take offs, installation and maybe a couple bucks extra.
post #11 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 01:20 PM
Openly Hostile

The fender skins are really easy to change btw. Ctimrun swapped out his painted fenders for some off an X and cash.

Jason
post #12 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 02:22 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegasjeep View Post
the fenders will never add value on trade in or on resale in 99% of the cases. you could buy a sahara and buy some take off black fender flares in new condition from someone who had upgraded.
sell the painted flares on ebay and ill bet you will and up getting what you paid for the black take offs, installation and maybe a couple bucks extra.
I'm not saying painted ones necessarily add value, I'm just thinking that taking something that is part of the package off may detract from it

I know if I went to buy it used and it was missing something it was supposed to have I would use that as a bargaining tool

Quote:
post #13 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 04:02 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
I'm not saying painted ones necessarily add value, I'm just thinking that taking something that is part of the package off may detract from it

I know if I went to buy it used and it was missing something it was supposed to have I would use that as a bargaining tool
painted fenders just have more paint to scratch in my opinion. We had a YJ that we used to take trail riding (thats why I want the rear locker). Its possible it will see tree limbs/trail marks.

Which brings me back to the locker issue. Any one know where to get a red/red rock "x" within 2 states of VA? My wife is in agreement to buy a Jeep! We're ready to buy!
post #14 of 31 Old 07-20-2008, 08:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

it's a little more than 2 states, but the dealer up the road from my house here in TX has red and red rock X's in stock

Quote:
post #15 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 04:07 AM Thread Starter

Better than Cali... They have the rear locker?
post #16 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 05:36 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

http://www.blakecdj.com/
hit inventory/new inventory/jeep/wrangler unlimited find the one you like then view details for options
if you see anything there you're interested in, I can cruise by and take a closer look/pics for you if you want - it's about 1 mile from my house
they're pretty desperate for sales now too

Quote:

Last edited by venom; 07-21-2008 at 05:39 AM.
post #17 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 05:48 AM
Rock God

ever thought about getting a used 4 door Rubicon? Got mine used with 4,500 miles on it for $23k... not bad at all and it beats the brakes off my X that was lifted with 35's

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #18 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 10:06 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
http://www.blakecdj.com/
hit inventory/new inventory/jeep/wrangler unlimited find the one you like then view details for options
if you see anything there you're interested in, I can cruise by and take a closer look/pics for you if you want - it's about 1 mile from my house
they're pretty desperate for sales now too
Thanks. I just called because the website didn't have alot of the specs (wasn't working for somereason) and talked to a guy named Buster. He was cool and said he would look at the ones he has and call back if he found THE one for me.
I felt kinda dumb listing the crap I want, but hey I want what I want when it comes to 30k...
post #19 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 11:18 AM
JR
Rock God

Funny, our local dealer orders several of his X models with rear lockers, swaybar disconnect, 3.73 gear ratio, and sometimes the power group.

If you were over here, he probably has exactly what you want sitting on the lot.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #20 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 12:01 PM Thread Starter

PM sent
post #21 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 12:52 PM

Quote:
PM sent
if you can wait a month or two... Delta will be starting a custom jeep building program
post #22 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 04:43 PM
Granite Guru

Hello neighbor,

I'm not sure which dealer you are using, but Battlefield is terrible. You may want to try Haynes in Richmond. Haynes is much more 0ff-road friendly and may try harder to find what you are looking for.

Chris

2007 JK Rubi Unlimited - 5" Teraflex, 37" Iroks
2005 LJ - HP60, 14 Bolt, 39.5, some other stuff
1978 J10 SOA and 35's

post #23 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 06:06 PM

Dealer in Chesapeake, Va has boat loads of JK's...a few X's have the disco/locker option...oh...Greenbriar Jeep Chrysler Plymouth
post #24 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 06:08 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

JMO....Colors: black, white, silver are the easiest to touch up (maybe important if planning to use jeep offroad a lot, and then want to possibly sell or trade in the future). I ordered mine in dark metallic blue. With all the dings now...I wouldve gotten black or silver instead. Cool colors combined w metalflake are a PITA to touch up successfully.
post #25 of 31 Old 07-21-2008, 10:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

but with black, EVERYTHING shows
the slightest ding looks like a crater
thats why I always have mad respect for anyone who does a restoration or does a wild custom in black- it has to be PERFECT.
Every new vehicle I've bought until my JK has been black and I would've bought a black rubi if I could've found one, now after a few 'trail mods' I'm kinda glad I couldn't get black
but when clean and straight, black is beautiful!!

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode