Tie rod ends - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Tie rod ends

So ..my tie rod and drag link need to be replaced according to 4 wheel part shop..I did have a lift and 35' tire installed on my jku.. and they can't get the alignment to work.
(the thing is my jeep have only 12k miles on it...)

is it OK to replace the tie rod ends only and keep the original rod and drag link rod for now ..the shop told me that I need to replace the whole thing...they are $#%&&^&&&(()(%#! of it...
I will be replacing the whole tie rod and drag link when funds will be available
should I go with Moog or you guys recommend any thing else...
thanks for the help.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 10:02 PM
Granite Guru

how much lift do you have and what lift - IE adjustable control arms, control arm brackets, or just stock.

Also, what about the alignment couldn't the get - castor or toe in?

The only thing they need to get right is castor. the tie rod they wouldn't need to touch and the drag link only needed to be adjusted to get the steering wheel straight.

Don't go back to that shop, and I wouldn't make a new tie rod or drag link a priority. I have had a synergy drag link with new moog joints, flip kit with track bar bracket in my garage sitting for over a year...35s & a 3.5" lift and no issue.
post #3 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 10:12 PM
Rock God

+1 on Synergy. IIRC you can only replace one side for the tie rod and and drag link anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
First, take a 50/50 water/alcohol solution and douche all the sand out of your vagina. Seriously, you gotta get that nozzle ALL the way to the cervix since it sounds as though your vajayjay is completely blocked with a silica compound.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post
how much lift do you have and what lift - IE adjustable control arms, control arm brackets, or just stock.

The only thing they need to get right is castor. the tie rod they wouldn't need to touch and the drag link only needed to be adjusted to get the steering wheel straight.

Don't go back to that shop, and I wouldn't make a new tie rod or drag link a priority. I have had a synergy drag link with new moog joints, flip kit with track bar bracket in my garage sitting for over a year...35s & a 3.5" lift and no issue.
I have 2.5 teraflex suspension lift with rancho 9000 shock ..rock krowler adjustable track bar. and rancho adjustable brackets.
the jeep pull to the left and I had the tires balanced and rotate before i went back to 4 wheel parts..but I guess they just wanna sell me more of what I need.
post #5 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 10:31 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAUMAhead View Post
+1 on Synergy. IIRC you can only replace one side for the tie rod and and drag link anyway.
I can only feel a tiny movement when i hold the track bar and have some one turn the steering wheel fast ...slow movement won't do it.
the only thing I see that the jeep pull to the left .no noise or loss things.
post #6 of 19 Old 05-26-2015, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

AND ISN'T THE TIE ROD AND DRAG LINK ADJUSTABLE?
and also the track bar too....
I thing they trying to play me...
post #7 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 05:52 AM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by lkjk View Post

lkjk... what moog part number do you have in the Synergy Draglink?
post #8 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 06:59 AM
JKO Addict!

I remember trying to find tie rod ends to run with my 15" wheels. I finally found one. The thread matched but the taper was slightly off.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #9 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 09:15 AM
Granite Guru

I was under the impression that the factory ends do not come off of the tie rod. They are swaged in place. Thats why you have to replace the whole thing.

The drag link can be bought in 2 pieces, but again you cant JUST replace the ends.

Same with the track bar, not adjustable as far as I know thats why everybody sells brackets OR you replace with a fully adjustable track bar.
post #10 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 12:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

Here is another option for HD steering. https://search.yahoo.com/yhs/search?...&hsimp=yhs-002

But yes your stock parts and adjustable track bar should be more than enough to dial in that kit, unless they are frozen or worn out and then that is a different story.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

801-713-3314
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #11 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 01:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Tie rod ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjacobs View Post
I was under the impression that the factory ends do not come off of the tie rod. They are swaged in place. Thats why you have to replace the whole thing.

The drag link can be bought in 2 pieces, but again you cant JUST replace the ends.

Same with the track bar, not adjustable as far as I know thats why everybody sells brackets OR you replace with a fully adjustable track bar.

The TR joint to pitman arm and DL joint to drivers side knuckle can be bought individually.
TR joint to pass knuckle is crimped in place although crown does sell it.
DL joint to pass knuckle is fixed and part of the bar.

The Stock pitman joint was used in the gen 1 RK tie rod and other aftermarket Applications.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #12 of 19 Old 05-27-2015, 08:48 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennH View Post
lkjk... what moog part number do you have in the Synergy Draglink?
I would call synergy, I just looked and it says "moog problem solver 68" and thats it - I took it out of the box and installed it on the drag link and don't have the box..

one of these - http://www.summitracing.com/search/p...r-tie-rod-ends
post #13 of 19 Old 05-28-2015, 05:57 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Stock tie rod ? if so, is it straight. Mine would bend like a wet noodle throwing off steering wheel, alignment, TC lights. went to aftermarket and never looked back

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #14 of 19 Old 05-28-2015, 07:24 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Update
did another front end alignment and this is the results

would an adjustable lower control arms fix this issue or do I need adjustable ball joints.

been told by the shop that my drag ling and tie rod are ok.
Attached Images

post #15 of 19 Old 05-28-2015, 07:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freeman View Post
Update

did another front end alignment and this is the results

would an adjustable lower control arms fix this issue or do I need adjustable ball joints.

been told by the shop that my drag ling and tie rod are ok.

You can check the ball joints yourself by lifting the tires off the ground. Use something as a lever and pry up on the tire. Your tires will move up and down and make a clunking noise if the joints are worn. Worn ball joints can show in camber.

post #16 of 19 Old 05-28-2015, 08:25 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
You can check the ball joints yourself by lifting the tires off the ground. Use something as a lever and pry up on the tire. Your tires will move up and down and make a clunking noise if the joints are worn. Worn ball joints can show in camber.
search google for "planman's dw diagnosis" and watch, as kjeeper10 referenced, someone use the leverage (via shovel/prybar/broomstick/hilift arm/etc...)method of diagnosing BJs failing and you'll be able to diag them yourself in minutes.

post #17 of 19 Old 05-29-2015, 06:59 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thank you guys for the help..but Can someone tell me if an adjustable lower control arms will fix this issue or do I need adjustable ball joints.
post #18 of 19 Old 05-29-2015, 07:43 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Thank you guys for the help..but Can someone tell me if an adjustable lower control arms will fix this issue or do I need adjustable ball joints.

The higher camber on the right side might be a bad ball joint. Replacing the joints should fix camber.
Caster looks fine.

post #19 of 19 Old 05-29-2015, 09:06 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
adjustable control arms only set caster. Your's at ~5 degrees is good.

Camber could be ball joints or bent C's.

Toe is in the tie rod. I would think even if your ball joints were bad, toe would be pretty close.

Adjustable ball joints are not a good idea IMO. They simply mask another issue.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode