Warranty Rights - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 03:14 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Warranty Rights

This was posted on The Diesel Pushers 419 forum but certainly applies to us. Thought this may be helpful the next time a dealer cries no warranty because you have made modifications to your Jeep. This information is copied. I have not included the poster's information as I have not asked for his permission to give it out. Here are his comments:

As a retired banker with a jurist prudence background this group of mechanics, and mechanics wanna-be's, has been very helpful to me; so maybe I can give back a little. I recently got into "What voids a tow car or motor homes warranty and how?

We have all read altering the manufacturers (you fill in the blank) voids the manufacturers warranty: really? WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! At least not normally. Unless the dealer (manufacturer) can prove the alteration caused the failure. This federal law is commonly referred to as the MAGNUSON-MOSS WARRANTY ACT OF 1975 (15 USC 2301 et seq). It also provides for you to file disputes through the FTC 1-877-382-4357.

Also check with SEMA at www.sema.org The Specialty Equipment Market Association has extensive information on the subject. Que up their (1) Warranty Denied, and (2) Unfair Warranty Denial sections. To further check your rights, an easy read is www.dummies. com and key in " Keeping your Mods Warranty Intact". A more detailed explanation covering all aspects of the law is at www.impalaclub. com and key in Magnuson-Moss act.

It basically comes down to a no harm, no foul, situation and basically after-market manufacturers should know if they pass. I would guess that each of our vendors for toad brakes, electrical and such belong to SEMA and maybe they could assist on putting on a seminar in Elkhart some year just to review the do's and don'ts as well as your individual rights and protections under the act.

Hope this helps.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 03:26 PM
JKO Addict!

The Magnuson-Moss Act does not cover legal fees so in the event that your dealership decides to stick to their original "No Warranty for you" statement, you will have to pony up and prove them wrong which in most likelyhood will end up costing more. Just a thought...
post #3 of 5 Old 04-06-2010, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I have no legal training and rarer still, I have a helpful friendly dealership. Just thought the post had some good suggestions to help someone out who's dealership isn't so friendly.

"Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill", Bob Arnett
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2010, 02:21 PM
Wheeler

It is the dealer that makes the decision as to what repairs constitute a warranty claim. The dealer can collaborate with Chrysler if need be.

If you maintain the vehicle and do not modify, there should not be an issue. If you do modify and if the dealer or Chrysler has an issue with the modification, you may not get a warranty repair. If in doubt about a modification as it relates to warranty, just ask your dealer.

Allen
post #5 of 5 Old 04-09-2010, 06:03 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

yup it all comes down to how "jeep friendly" the dealership is. Luckily i wheel with people from my dealership.

The rubicon is a 29 km. river in northern Italy. "Crossing the rubicon" is a popular idiom meaning to pass a point of no return. Originating from Ceasaer's 49 BC crossing of the river, which was considered an act of war
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode