Rear Slider - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-05-2010, 07:55 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Rear Slider

does anyone else make a rear slider other then AEV.. cause there price tag is crazy...

if u didnt know what i was talking about.

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

upcoming: Front D60, 40's, beadlocks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-05-2010, 08:16 PM
Rock God

I don't know, but the design is tight. How much?

Although, upon second look what if you jammed that into your DS.

"Dude, did you see that Green Jeep out in the parking lot?"

"Yeah, its' mine..."
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:08 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

its $260 and its made of 1/4 steel

07 2dr Rubicon - Teraflex 6" LA - 37 KM2's - LoD rear bumper - Rockhard front stubby - Poison Spyder Flares - etc.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOWREVER View Post
I don't know, but the design is tight. How much?

Although, upon second look what if you jammed that into your DS.
Since it rotates with the axle I don't know how you could jam it into your driveshaft. It should provide more protection for the CV joint and help make the shaft last longer.

Jon

08 Rubicon
post #5 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:31 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinJon View Post
Since it rotates with the axle I don't know how you could jam it into your driveshaft.
Because steel bends. Although if you hit it hard enough to bend it, it most probably saved your shaft from taking a beating, so it would have served it's purpose.

I'd be more interested in knowing if it contacts the gas tank skid, as my driveshaft and quite a few others rub hard against the gas tank skid when flexed up at the passenger side. This is more common if you have an aftermarket skid, but still happens to the stock one.

Rancho make one for the front, but for some reason never made one for the rear.
post #6 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:44 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Wonder how much clearance you lose with that skid.... ?
post #7 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Wonder how much clearance you lose with that skid.... ?
I would guess about a 1/4".

Vidi, vici, veni

2008 Jeep JK Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited
jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
post #8 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 07:50 AM
RIP Brad

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ogie View Post
I would guess about a 1/4".
Really? Maybe at the bottom, but I bet it is worse than that... then around the sides it looks like it is worse. I like the idea, but loss of clearance would be a major bummer.
post #9 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 09:02 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by abendx View Post
Really? Maybe at the bottom, but I bet it is worse than that... then around the sides it looks like it is worse. I like the idea, but loss of clearance would be a major bummer.
I bet you don't lose much clearance and it will help protect the diff and the pinion area. That said, people have been dragging diffs over rocks for years and it isn't a big issue.
post #10 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:12 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

AEV says u dont lose any clearance.. now rancho front one built into the diff cover u lose all kinds of clearance..

Pinion Protection Each Slider extends under the pinion yoke to protect the vulnerable U-joint from rock damage.
Maximum Ground Clearance Each Slider is specifically designed to fit so tightly that it conserves 100% of your axle’s original ground clearance by butting up to the casting flange rather than being under it.
Tough Construction using ¼” steel to create an unbreakable ‘ski’ for your differential.
Smooth Design uses minimal bends/edges to hide the rough, snag-prone contours of the factory casting – especially the casting flange around the cover.
Easy Installation in minutes using three special U-bolts (most applications) with no cutting, grinding, etc.

post #11 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:28 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by BiGEN View Post
AEV says u dont lose any clearance.. now rancho front one built into the diff cover u lose all kinds of clearance..
The Rancho one is not built into the diff cover. They both sit about 1/4" under the diff, so there is no reason for just the Rancho one to "lose all kinds of clearance". Granted the AEV is better profiled and looks better designed, but they both effect clearance by about the same amount.
post #12 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 09:39 PM
Granite Guru

Send a message via AIM to sickchilly Send a message via Skype™ to sickchilly

I use my front Rancho all the time to glide over things. It's nice to not have to worry about banging up the front pumpkin. That things takes some pretty serious hits. I just touch it up with a rattle can now and then. It doesn't even have any deep scars yet.

I'd love it if they made one for the rear too. The value of the Rancho is pretty high, IMO. I'm sure the AEV rear one is a quality kit, it's just a lot more expensive than the Rancho front!

2007 Jeep Green Rubicon 4-door with various bits 'n pieces... broken in but not even finished!
post #13 of 17 Old 04-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I bet you don't lose much clearance and it will help protect the diff and the pinion area. That said, people have been dragging diffs over rocks for years and it isn't a big issue.
I hit my rear diff and drive shaft a lot. I have only had to replace the dust cover on the drive shaft once at $165 so a skid would probably be worth it!

JMHO

post #14 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 04:20 AM

I thought I'd share my experiences with the AEV JK Slider Rear Differential Skid Plate. You can decide for yourself whether it's for you. I ran the AEV rear diff skid plate for about 13 months on a 2013 JK with 32/35s. Mine developed cracks in the adjoining metal of the three circular holes in the bottom of the skidplate. If I had to estimate total rock garden mileage it probably only stood up to the cumulative effect of about a mile of Rausch Creek Offroad Park ‘Black’ trails on 32s with a 2.5” lift. AEV Customer Support considers this metal fatigue cracking to be normal wear and tear although I feel it's a design defect issue. If you do feel you absolutely have to run a rear diff slider do some research towards less expensive versions. For the money, especially considering AEV's position on metal cracking, there are better ways to armor your jeep. My personal recommendation is to put on a stronger rear differential cover and call it a day. I'm wheeling harder obstacles these days and haven't missed the AEV plate one bit. Your experiences may vary. Summarizing:
1. The skid plate developed cracks in a relatively short distance of rock crawling.
2. I believe the cracks were brought on in part by the design. AEV disagrees.
3. There are less expensive alternatives out there if you feel you need a rear diff slider.
4. My personal recommendation is to just go with a stronger rear diff cover.
5. My rear diff or CV joint has not suffered since removing it.
post #15 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 05:20 AM
Granite Guru

I've slid diffs over rocks many times and it seems like the iron is stronger than the rocks around here.

You'll get scratches for sure but I have yet to see any real damage.

I run Poison Spyder / Riddler diff covers which really take a beating.
post #16 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Super Moderator

Garage
re:rear slider

dunno if it is necessary but if you want basically the same design ,cheaper there is this
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-jk-...plate-799.html

post #17 of 17 Old 02-28-2015, 12:26 PM
Granite Guru

Cracking could be due to over-tightening. It could also be due to crappy engineering, or made out of the wrong steel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode