Vibration/shimmy/Shaking problem... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 08:21 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Vibration/shimmy/Shaking problem...

I/m about to drive this jeep off a mountain...seriously.

I have a side to side shimmy at a high frequency. When driving i can feel my leg shaking side to side and my driver side mirror is vibrating to the point that i cant see cars when looking in it. Its just a blurr. Its such a high frequency that you dont notice it right away. When i park the jeep and get out im almost sea sick.

Ive put on a new rear drive shaft. Still there. I put on adjustable control arms. Still there. I balanced and rotated tires. Still there. I re-torqued all my suspension. Still there. Replaced the SS with a new fox. Still there.This weekend we installed new ball joints. Mine were destroyed! I thought "yeah gonna ride like new now!" It got worse after the ball joints were replaced. its more defined shimmy now. Only thing i have not tried is removing the front drive shaft that is stock on a 2 dr. I plan to do that as soon as the threat of 2 feet of snow in the next day or so is gone.

My jeep has been riding like a corn wagon for the last couple months. Just a disgusting rough uncontrolled ride. After throwing hundreds of dollars and days of accumulated installs/repairs im still left with a bad riding rig. Funny thing is...it rode perfect for a year after the lift was installed prior to the adjustable control arms and new ball joints.

Any help or ideas...im all ears. My 2007 jeep rides worse then my 1971 bronco did with worn out 26 year old bushings.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco

Last edited by voodoojk; 04-05-2010 at 08:24 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 08:50 AM
Granite Guru

Check the unit bearings and make sure the axle shafts aren't bent. Try jacking up one wheel at a time and spinning it to see if it runs true.

Bryan.

2007 JK Rubicon Unlimited Rescue Green 6 Speed
Mods Shrockworks Rails & Bumpers, Currie Lift, Tom Woods 1350 driveshafts, 35" Toyo M/Ts on ProComp 7028s
In Progress
To Do
post #3 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 09:39 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

seems to be okay...we had the bearings off and the axles out doing my ball joints saturday. Everything looked ok.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 09:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

I would highly recommend taking it to a lift friendly shop. Sounds like the death wobble to me

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
post #5 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 10:22 AM
Rock God

I'm just guessing--but

It sounds like your adjustable control arms aren't in SYNC (diff. lengths)and your two sides (jeep) are trying to catch up with each other

Alignment shop that works on JEEPS

Good luck

JIMBO

Man, you gotta have style

"YELLOW JEEP No. 683"
post #6 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 10:24 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
I would highly recommend taking it to a lift friendly shop. Sounds like the death wobble to me
huh? strange answer lol. I work at a dealership with a full shop. I dont need to take it some where..i just need to figure out what it is. Its not death wobble. Nothing to do with it.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #7 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 11:17 AM
Wheeler

bent axle tube ?

im searching now for off set ball joints i have the same issue and was told that my front axle was bent at the knuckle off like a 1/2 degree good luck
post #8 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 06:20 PM

Exclamation

I don't no if I can help you but once I had a problem like your and the garage were I bot my mags and tires they told me that they have to glue the tires on to the mags because I could't keep the tires balances until they glue them to the mag I hope it help !!!!!!
post #9 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 06:28 PM
Rock God

did you do track bars with your lift? If not then perhaps your driveshafts being skewed to the side could be causing this. Just a guess on my part. good luck.

I have a jeep and it goes over shit.
post #10 of 14 Old 04-05-2010, 07:22 PM
Rock God

A Couple of questions:

Do you feel the shimmy in the steering wheel first or does the shaking begin elsewhere before you feel it in the Steering wheel.

Was it all arms that were replaced?

Measure the front axle and rear axle to make sure they are centered under the jeep.

Re tourque all bolts in the suspension. My guess is one has not been fully tourqued if it's not one of the above.

I'd like to know what you Caster is set at.

You didn't mention having your tires balanced in the original post? I'm assuming they have been done since you've started the troubleshooting. A wheel weight can fall off pretty easy if you use the ones for the outter edge. Is it possible one of the tires has a issue with a radial belt internally?

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler, jk-forum.com, jeepforum, jk-board.com, wayoflife, 2007 jk, 2008 jk, 2009 jk, 2010 jk, jk, jk wrangler
Quote:
Never argue with an idiot, they will bring you down to their level then beat you with experience.[/SIZE][/B]
post #11 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

I was going to do a write up about my experience with the "hippy-hippy-shakes".

From day 1 of buying new tires I couldn't figure out what was going on. Always at 52-54 mph I would get a slight shimmy. I've taken the tires to get them rebalanced about 3-4 times, had an alignment done and finally a road force balance.....nothing. I even took it to a "lift friendly shop and they couldn't figure it out. All the shops said my tires were starting to cup. Then I read about a shop in Boulder, CO (not far from where I live) that does tire shaving, which will remove the cupping. I took it there and when they took the wheels off first thing he pointed out where these:

He said these spacers tend to cause a lot of problems for jeep owners. Take one or two off, then put your wheels back on and it's going to set your wheel at the wrong angle. He did a minor shave job on my tires, took all of the spacers off (he said he doesn't know why Chrysler puts them on in the first place) and I've been running great since!

Looking back at the time I put my 1.5" spacers on which was about 2 days before I got my new tires I remember taking a few of these washer-spacers off.

So if you're having a shimmy problem rip those damn things off and see if it makes a difference. If you need any further tire help check out the Tire Source in Boulder. Excellent shop!

2009 Wrangler X Sport, Silver
BFG KM2's
2.5" Rough Country suspension lift
Rough Country Disconnects
Rubicon Rock Rails

Last edited by zwvirtual; 04-06-2010 at 07:24 AM.
post #12 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

thanks for all the advice. I have front lower and rear up control arms. Tires are fresh balanced. NOt sure what my caster is but front control arms are set at TF specs for my jeep. The problem existed prior to control arm install. Didnt change after install. Tires and wheels are the same as the day i put the lift on. Tires are wearing PERFECTLY. problally the most perfect wear pattern i have ever had on a tire. Im stumpped. The jeep rode like a dream with just the TF 3" and moster track bar and everything set up. So i shouldnt need to install control arms and stuff...because it rode and drove perfectly. Guess stuff wears out..i wonder if my TF shocks are shot? I already replaced 3 of them for leaking.

2007 Wrangler
Rescue Green

3.5" AEV Lift
37" GoodYear MTR
Pro Comp 7089's
Tom Woods Shafts F&R
OR Fab Tire Carrier
Shaffer Stinger
Bulldog Winch
Buschwacker Flat Flares
Poly Tie Rod
JKS Disco
post #13 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 11:25 AM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by voodoojk View Post
..i wonder if my TF shocks are shot? I already replaced 3 of them for leaking.
This could cause it. One old worn out shock and three newer ones trying to compensate. Good Luck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by STUPIDFACE View Post
I have 2 legs, but 3 knees....right knee.....left knee.....wee knee....
Jack of all Trades, Master of Some
post #14 of 14 Old 04-06-2010, 06:03 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

YouTube - High Heal Fall :LiveLeak/NBC News

Pain heals, chicks dig scars, glory lasts forever.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode