tire feathering - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 05-16-2015, 07:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

tire feathering

Hi all. I have a 14 jkur-x that did mods at 1000miles. Now I have 8500 and front wheels at the center looks feathered.
also between 45mph to 55mph there's a wobble that mechanic said it's due to balance but off road unlimited in burbank said it's normal.

My tires are 35x12.5 x17 kumhos
ORU suggested that they check the front end and alignment first but I know they're ok. He also suggested that I should rotate them every 3500 miles.

I don't do a lot of wheeling mostly are freeway miles.

I would appreciate your input.
Should I pay 120 for realignment and 100 for balance and rotation or this is something everyone experienced and I should rotate every 3500milex and deal with it?

Thanks
Attached Images

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 05-16-2015, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
tire feathering

$100 for a balance and rotate? Highway robbery.

Where did you have the tires originally installed and balanced? See if you can buy a lifetime balance and rotate or if you ready have one.

Do you have adjustable control arms?

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 14 Old 05-16-2015, 09:30 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
$100 for a balance and rotate? Highway robbery.

No kidding. Discount tire would do this for nothing if you bought the tires there. At least they always tell me to bring it back in when I need them rotated. I don't because it's easier to do at the house.

Heck, just get a floor jack, two sets of jack stands and an electric impact gun (harbor freight "Chicago" series), a 7/8 impact socket and do it yourself. It takes about 30 minutes, if that.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 05-16-2015, 10:07 PM
Granite Guru

They shouldn't wobble at 45 to 55. I would never go back to O.R.U. again after such a stupid statement. Does he think all Jeeps with your same tires do that or, all people with 35 " tires? It doesn't make any difference anyway. How much air pressure is in your tires ? What kind of driving do you normally do? Do you still have the stock shocks ? Sorry, I just noticed you drive freeway miles, I thought so. What is the load range of your tires ? I think you have to much air in your tires and the shocks are no good. Tires are probably bouncing their way down the freeway. When you go over a bump slowly, does the Jeep keep bouncing several times or just once ? Lower the pressure to about 28 LBS. and see how it feels. This is only a suggestion, don't blame me if the tires become unraveled and you die, you are of free will ! P.S., install a good set of shocks. I don't mean the cheapest set of Gabriels you can find.

Last edited by dahreno; 05-16-2015 at 10:15 PM.
post #5 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 08:12 AM
Granite Guru

If I read that right, you have 7500 miles on the tires, were they rotated? Going that many miles would cause some feathering. Sounds like they need to be checked for balance for sure, and I'd avoid that "off road expert" if possible.
post #6 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 08:24 AM
Rock God

I rotate every 3000 with aggressive tread tires. If youve got 7500 on them and alignment and balance are good thats probably the problem. Hopefully they arent ruined.
post #7 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

I dont have a lifetime balance and rotate. also my liftkit is AEV so I used drop brackets and original control arms!
post #8 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahreno View Post
They shouldn't wobble at 45 to 55. I would never go back to O.R.U. again after such a stupid statement. Does he think all Jeeps with your same tires do that or, all people with 35 " tires? It doesn't make any difference anyway. How much air pressure is in your tires ? What kind of driving do you normally do? Do you still have the stock shocks ? Sorry, I just noticed you drive freeway miles, I thought so. What is the load range of your tires ? I think you have to much air in your tires and the shocks are no good. Tires are probably bouncing their way down the freeway. When you go over a bump slowly, does the Jeep keep bouncing several times or just once ? Lower the pressure to about 28 LBS. and see how it feels. This is only a suggestion, don't blame me if the tires become unraveled and you die, you are of free will ! P.S., install a good set of shocks. I don't mean the cheapest set of Gabriels you can find.
i have AEV belstains and theyre fine, tire pressure is at 28 as well....its not bouncy at all. O.R.U guy ment jku's are known to wobble at that speed(sounded wired to me as well)
post #9 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 02:04 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robnoxious1 View Post
I rotate every 3000 with aggressive tread tires. If youve got 7500 on them and alignment and balance are good thats probably the problem. Hopefully they arent ruined.

this x 10

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #10 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 02:12 PM
Granite Guru

I get some vibration at those speeds as well. 35 inch coops and a rock krawler 3.5 x factor. All rod ends look good and have a synergy drag link. I have some feathering on the inside lugs but I can't seem to get rid of the vibes, the synergy drag link certainly made a difference, not nearly as bad as before I installed it. For some reason it's even more pronounced when I'm towing my camper and the front end is unloaded a bit. My best guess is that it's all in the tires...
post #11 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 02:28 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjeeper10 View Post
this x 10
Well seems like my main issue is rotation. I never rotated them. I'll have them check the balance and will rotate every 3500miles on oilchange.... see how it goes.
woubbling is not anything crazy but I thought it might have to do with feathering.... also only time I do that 45-55 is when I enter and exit freeway!
it's a new car and I've done alighnment twice and were always ok so will see how it goes
post #12 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 02:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Find a place that does road force balancing. Bigger/Tread-ier tires are harder to balance right. PlusThe tech has to be trained to operate the Hunter balancing machine..

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #13 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 05:17 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

it's a Jeep with mud terrains , not a car.
if you're running those at 27-30 psi and driving 75% or more freeway miles on
OEM balljoints and some other components , plus you've not rotated them in (hopefully ) a five tire rotation at least twice by your mileage , I'd say you're looking at an adequate handling characteristic and wear pattern on those considering ....you'll have to upgrAde to appropriate shocks and many possible joints and maybe components until they are capable of highway speed wear that is better than that . the rotating is key and if you wheel and lose any of the balancing weighs stuck on inside of the wheel , you'll get the shimmies ....heck , my 35s I used to run (STTs ) used to get funky jittery if I was 3 psi over 27 above 80mph...they can be that finicky...plus, I don't know a lot about the Khumo Roadmaster MT but can tell you that big old MTs all wear slightly different and have wear pattern tendencies that are unique to the tire tread pattern .... I'd be willing to bet others with same tire have had similar wear if they were neglected and in a similar configuration / weight JKU ....
Hope you haven't fouled them but from pix , they don't look that crazy to me ...it's a mid-range MT on a primarily street driven Jeep....not car .....if you follow other members suggestions and get them properly balanced anew , road forced if an option , make sure to just rotate with each oil change / 3000 and keep them at optimal psi , and you'll notice better wear , mate

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by j3ff3ry_j33p; 05-17-2015 at 05:20 PM.
post #14 of 14 Old 05-17-2015, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by j3ff3ry_j33p View Post
it's a Jeep with mud terrains , not a car.
if you're running those at 27-30 psi and driving 75% or more freeway miles on
OEM balljoints and some other components , plus you've not rotated them in (hopefully ) a five tire rotation at least twice by your mileage , I'd say you're looking at an adequate handling characteristic and wear pattern on those considering ....you'll have to upgrAde to appropriate shocks and many possible joints and maybe components until they are capable of highway speed wear that is better than that . the rotating is key and if you wheel and lose any of the balancing weighs stuck on inside of the wheel , you'll get the shimmies ....heck , my 35s I used to run (STTs ) used to get funky jittery if I was 3 psi over 27 above 80mph...they can be that finicky...plus, I don't know a lot about the Khumo Roadmaster MT but can tell you that big old MTs all wear slightly different and have wear pattern tendencies that are unique to the tire tread pattern .... I'd be willing to bet others with same tire have had similar wear if they were neglected and in a similar configuration / weight JKU ....
Hope you haven't fouled them but from pix , they don't look that crazy to me ...it's a mid-range MT on a primarily street driven Jeep....not car .....if you follow other members suggestions and get them properly balanced anew , road forced if an option , make sure to just rotate with each oil change / 3000 and keep them at optimal psi , and you'll notice better wear , mate
Thanks,
I'm running kumho road venture MT....I don't have any handling issues of any kind, pretty happy with AEV 3.5"kit... I'm guessing I screwd up on rotation. plus tires are directional! has it's downside on 5 tire rotation so I can only do front and rear but they're pretty silent on the road which is nice!
Thanks for ya'll input...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode