First major(ish) build need feedback! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 08:59 AM Thread Starter

Red face First major(ish) build need feedback!

After months of research and saving I'm finally thinking about pulling the trigger on making some mods to my 2010 2dr rig. I've been running Goodyear MT/R Kevlars (LT265/75R16) and have wanted a more aggressive look for a while now. The MT/Rs are wearing down and I'm going across the country next month so I think it's good timing. Here are the details on the next phase - I'm not regearing, and this is primarily a DD, so I'm interested to see how you all think it will handle with these changes (I'm a 3.8L with 3.73 ratio).

Wheels:
Level 8 Trackers (4.5 backspacing?)

Tires:
33x12.5r15 Duratracs

Lift:
2.5" Rough Country Lift with Shocks

Anyone driving something similar or have any feedback on this? So glad to finally be making a change, I want to do it right! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Granite Guru

I, myself, will not buy that lift. The mane say it all and it is cheep for a reason. I think you will be happy with the wheels and tires. Lots of people run those and are happy with them.
post #3 of 9 Old 05-16-2015, 05:39 PM
Granite Guru

If budget is your concern with a lift then do an AEV 2in spacer lift, run the 33in tires and forget about it. AEV is good at covering all the problem points of lifting a JK and your factory springs and shocks are much higher quality and much better riding then the RC parts...

90% of "2.5in" lifts on a 2dr usually net 3.5-4in in reality, especially if you don't have heavy bumpers and winch. 2.5in lift with 33in will have you wanting new tires sooner then later. Ask how I know...

Food for thought...
From my experience, most companies seem to cater to the 4dr guys because its a different market, since the 4dr came out in 2007. I currently have one of each a 2dr and a 4dr. So I can talk to this point. Some companies will tell you their lifts net different gains depending which JK you have, some just let you assume their lift nets the same gains for both JK(Not sure how this is possible), and some sell different springs and shocks depending what JK you have(proper way to go if you are not sure what your getting into).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 12:31 AM
Granite Guru

One other thing I will do is swap the 15" rims for 17". I know they cost more and tire cost more too, but if you ever want to upgrade your steering components, and you will want to do that one day, you can run into problems with 15" rims.
post #5 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 06:45 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteyjfm View Post
One other thing I will do is swap the 15" rims for 17". I know they cost more and tire cost more too, but if you ever want to upgrade your steering components, and you will want to do that one day, you can run into problems with 15" rims.
You can, but there are ways around it. I'm putting a RK HD aluminum tie rod on the Jeep soon as it gets here. A buddy of mine just put one on his Jeep with 15" rims and it fits fine. Uses the rod ends from the drag link. It wasn't cheap, but quality shit rarely is. I'd rethink your backspacing though. 3.75" is what I run.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #6 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 07:49 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Door View Post
You can, but there are ways around it. I'm putting a RK HD aluminum tie rod on the Jeep soon as it gets here. A buddy of mine just put one on his Jeep with 15" rims and it fits fine. Uses the rod ends from the drag link. It wasn't cheap, but quality shit rarely is. I'd rethink your backspacing though. 3.75" is what I run.
The RK tie rod that uses the oem tired ends is the old style which may work with 15in wheels. Their New tie rod is a whole new ball game its a LOT more beefy, and the ends are custom made for RK heim joints J him. It will not work with a 15in wheel.
post #7 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 08:32 AM Thread Starter

Thanks

Thanks for the feedback. I'll check out 17s. I guess the 285/70r17 DuraTrac would be the way to go there? I like the idea of a 33x12.5 because the wider stance of the JK needs a wider tire IMO.

Of course I want to go to 35s down the line, so my question about the spacers would be if they'd work on there with 35s for off road? I'm just trying to keep from upgrading the same components twice.

:sidenote:

I'm really baffled the JK doesn't come with 35s stock. It looks so much better, but requires so much $$ to regear that it isn't going to happen for me for a while.

Looking at the proportions of a JK to any other Wrangler and it just looks like they completely dropped the ball on upping the tire and wheel size to match what the did when they added the wider body. My stock tires and wheels are just disgusting. The backspacing is horrible, makes the stock model look like it's got a muffin top. This is really what I want to fix with this build. Get it close to the proper proportions and gain a few inches for off road. Then my next build will be 35s and I'll finally be happy.
post #8 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 09:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stangbuster View Post
The RK tie rod that uses the oem tired ends is the old style which may work with 15in wheels. Their New tie rod is a whole new ball game its a LOT more beefy, and the ends are custom made for RK heim joints J him. It will not work with a 15in wheel.
Sorry, I should have been more clear.

I ordered the OLD style tie rod, which is still aluminum, and yes, it uses the stock sized rod ends from the drag link. My buddy just put it on his JK with 15" wheels and it fit fine. I ordered the same tie rod from 4Wheel Parts. Mine is named the Rock Krawler HD tie rod

The new one is beefy, has proprietary rod ends and comes with everything to bolt it on. It's a little more expensive mind you, but it's supposed to be seriously tough. It also will absolutely not work with 15" wheels. It's called the Rock Krawler Offroad Pro Tie Rod.

2011 Sahara Tan 2dr Rubicon
Rock Krawler Stock Mod w/ Fox Evolution 2.0's - 36 X 12.5 X 15" Interco TSL's on Black Steel wheels - Rock Krawler track bars front and back - Poison Spyder Customs BFH front bumper w/ Brawler bar - Warn HS9500i winch w/ synthetic rope - Trail Head Deflators - Viair 440P Compressor Instagram: jeepethan
post #9 of 9 Old 05-17-2015, 10:17 AM Thread Starter

After looking more at the 33" options, it just doesn't look like it will add a whole lot to what I'm currently running. I think I'm going to save up, regear, and make the switch to my 35" build all at once. The 33x12.5s look great, but nothing comes that wide with a 17" rim.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode