Air Intake Temp - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 11:27 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Air Intake Temp

For those with ScanGauges what are your intake air temps running at? and with what intake?

My intake air temp runs about 20F hotter than the ambient air temp when on the freeway with the Airaid intake. Anything from 40-70F hotter when around town in stop and go traffic. Haven't had to chance to monitor it off-road yet, but would expect it to be similar to around town, maybe a little hotter.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 02:10 PM
Granite Guru

That sounds about right for stock. When I was in Moab, I did not have a saw, so I drilled some holes in the hood and used some wire cutters to remove the metal between the holes. That cut the IA temp half and the 1700 mile trip home was much better. I now have the intake tube and IA sensor insulated and an AEV snorkel. Temps driving to work max out at +10 now when I'm stuck in traffic and about +3 when when the throttle is open more than 20%. Off road the temps climb higher. I will insulate the air box when I get a chance. Too many other things to get done before that.

Phil, since you still have a stock hood and have a good sense for what your IA temps run, please try insulating just your IA sensor. I insulated the tube first and then the sensor. I would be interested in see what just the sensor would do, but not enough to take my tube insulation off!
post #3 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 04:47 PM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by n8it View Post
Phil, since you still have a stock hood and have a good sense for what your IA temps run, please try insulating just your IA sensor.
I insulated the sensor first, no noticeable difference. I then insulated the tube with some header wrap I had laying around, with some aluminum foil under it (don't laugh!). Temps on the freeway dropped by a good 5, so now I'm at 15. I let it idle for a while and it never broke +30.

Before doing anything I checked some temps with an IR thermometer, this was at idle after a quick test run:

Air Temp - 90F
ScanGauge IA - 119F
Air Filter - 118F
Intake Box - 127F
Intake Tube (Filter End) - 132F
Intake Tube (Middle) - 156F
Intake Tube (Engine End) - 162F

I know it gets real hot under the hood and have even considered some of those hood vents.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 07:22 PM
JR
Rock God

You want some cool IAT's?

Build yourself a little methanol injection kit. The smallest jet would probably cool a naturally aspirated motor plenty.

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/

I realize this is probably overkill...heh

Jason from RJR Off-Road

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #5 of 10 Old 07-17-2008, 08:42 PM
Granite Guru

I thought that might be the case with just doing the sensor only. Here is a picture of when I had
just the intake tube insulated.

I do not have a picture with both insulated, I will do that tomorrow. I will also add vents to help
when off road.
post #6 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 07:19 AM
Granite Guru

Here is with both the intake tube and sensor wrapped.
post #7 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 08:16 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Do you still have the hood insulation? Have you thought about removing it?
post #8 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

I did put the hood insulation back on after installing the snorkel. I'm sure I had a good reason at the time... I will be out this weekend and I will check the temps with it on and with it removed.
post #9 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 10:10 AM Thread Starter
TrailDuty.com

Just removed the hood insulation and at first it looked better, but then went back to normal, IA temp actually went up a little. Water temp and IA temp both were lower than normal for the first 5 miles, but as the heat built up they slowly climbed up. The IA temp went a little higher normal, I suspect due to not having such a good seal to the hood without the insulation.

It just gets hot under the hood and I suspect nothing short of venting it will help much.
post #10 of 10 Old 07-18-2008, 01:15 PM
Rock God

With my RR Snorkel on the air temp is 10 to 15 deg hotter then the out side air temp when on the highway.
And about 20 to 30 deg when doing city driving!

07 JKU, To see my mods & Jeep in Action @
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

CEO of Black Sheep 4x4s

Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode