what do you think of this jeep?? possible purchase... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 08:04 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

what do you think of this jeep?? possible purchase...

hey. i saw a jeep that caught my eye and im planning on getting it and trade it for my current JK. im very happy with my jeep, but, i never was fully satisfied with the black color, i prefer silver or blue (the one i want to trade for is silver).... and also, where i live, a semi modified black jeep, with tinted windows and big tires, has too much attention from both cops and bad guys...

so the one im looking at is a 2007, odo says 73,000 miles but im in Mexico and normally they alter the numbers... the bad thing is the jeep is located about 1000 miles from where i am so i cant check it myself.., but i had a cousin go over and check it, and he sent me the pictures attached.

overall he says the jeep looks clean, no signs of being in a collision or anything. the interiors also look very clean with the exception of a small tear in the drivers seat, no big deal.

however, he noticed the underside is recently, very recently painted black. he says there wasnt even dust underneath. so, that made me wonder, did they painted it to hide rust?? because in the pics you can see the exhaust is a little bit rusted, but the rest of the chassis, skid plate etc cannot be checked...

also, there are some yellow marks in the hard top, it looks like glue... im not sure if this is normal or if maybe they rebuilt a broken hardtop?? it can be seen in the pics...

the rest of it looks good, some minor scratches on the front bumper but im changing it anyways...

what do you think?? (some of them are black and white ecause he had the cell phone in that mode and didnt notice)

this picture has me thinking... why is the exhaust rusted like that?? is it correct to assume the rest of the jeep is in similar condition??

[

it already has mud terrains, small, but would work for a while

he says motor is clean but its hard to tell in this black and white picture.

grill was painted black

is that the original color?? it looks to white to be "silver" but its not a white jeep.

heres the link to the jeep from the vendor:

http://soloautos.mx/usados/auto/jeep...7-plata/939181

he couldnt drive it, but the engine started well and didnt have any weird noise...

so, please help me decide, should it look for something else (very hard to find in here), or take the next step and bring this jeep to a mechanic?? i already have one located that will check the jeep, but i dont want to take it there if i can discard it now...

thank you.

2007 JKU, 2.5" Rock Krawler lift, 285/70 17 mud terrains....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 08:55 PM
Rock God

Garage

If you're only looking at this Jeep because you want silver instead of black, wouldn't it be cheaper just to have yours painted? Why go through the hassle of buying an older jeep that you don't know what's been done to it.

The only things I can see are that the glue in the hardtop could be factory. Usually the factory is a little more careful, but they do use glue to connect the sections.

The factory gas tank skid plate doesn't look like it's ever been taken off road. It's been painted while off the jeep so hard to tell if it's the original one\. You can tell because they didn't bother to paint the bolt heads.

The muffler rust is from condensation coming out of the little hole in the bottom center of the side panel.

No major scratches to the underside of the differential and muffler, so again it's been mostly on road. But hard to tell from the pics.

Mileage at 70km is a low, so it's suspicious.

The little things:
The rims aren't the originals that came with the 07 Sahara package.
The a/c trim rings were painted silver. In 07 they were unpainted black plastic.
Are the front turn signals smoked or did they paint them black.
Aftermarket radio, always scares me because you don't know how they spliced into the factory wiring and the JK's CANBUS is sensitive.
No factory tow hitch, so gearing is most likely not 4.10, maybe 3.73, but I'm not sure on that one.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #3 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 10:08 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

thanx.

i could have mine painted but i thought it could be easier to sell and get another one. they are hard to find in here, so it shouldnt be difficult to sell...

i noticed the bolts were not painted, that also made me wonder, why would they take the time to remove the plate??

my cousin said the same thing, it doesnt seems to have seen much offroad, if at all. the diff covers are not damaged, and there are no scratches underneath...

the rims arent original?? i thought they were the factory ones just plastidipped.

now for the aftermarket radio, i hadnt noticed it was not the factory one.

and yes i noticed it has no tow hitch, i had planned on removing the one from my jeep to put on this one....

so, if i didnt have one already, would you say this one is worth a check by a reputable mechanic?? assuming if he says its OK i would buy it??

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 10:11 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

It looks too white because it isn't, it's silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #5 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 10:16 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
It looks too white because it isn't, it's silver.
its hard to tell from the pics, but i thought its like a light silver, i thought the jeep's Silver from that years was a little darker...

post #6 of 11 Old 05-07-2015, 10:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Nope, the silver has been pretty much the same tone up until the billet color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #7 of 11 Old 05-08-2015, 05:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

the rims arent original?? i thought they were the factory ones just plastidipped.

Look at the picture posted by JKCTAZ, the rims are slightly different. You can see how the rim's lip has more detail. The one's on that Jeep look like Rubicon take-offs.

so, if i didnt have one already, would you say this one is worth a check by a reputable mechanic?? assuming if he says its OK i would buy it??

It's always a good idea to have a mechanic look at it. If you really want it, go for it. The engine compartment has probably been steam cleaned, so do a search for problems with the 07, that way you know what to look for. Off the top of my head I can tell you that:
The water pump might have a leak around the seal.
It likes to drink oil, about a quart every 1,000 miles.
It might have an oil leak from the intake manifold area.
If the exhaust manifolds are factory, they're most likely cracked.

JP magazine (or it might of been Peterson's Off Road) printed an article of what to look for in buying a used JK. I don't remember the date, but check their website and see if it's there.

My dog is worried about the economy because Alpo is up to 99 a can. That's almost $7.00 in dog money.
post #8 of 11 Old 05-08-2015, 06:07 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by idrivejeep View Post

Look at the picture posted by JKCTAZ, the rims are slightly different. You can see how the rim's lip has more detail. The one's on that Jeep look like Rubicon take-offs.

It's always a good idea to have a mechanic look at it. If you really want it, go for it. The engine compartment has probably been steam cleaned, so do a search for problems with the 07, that way you know what to look for. Off the top of my head I can tell you that:
The water pump might have a leak around the seal.
It likes to drink oil, about a quart every 1,000 miles.
It might have an oil leak from the intake manifold area.
If the exhaust manifolds are factory, they're most likely cracked.

JP magazine (or it might of been Peterson's Off Road) printed an article of what to look for in buying a used JK. I don't remember the date, but check their website and see if it's there.
thanx. so, you dont see a major problem with it being painted on the underside??

ill ask the vendor about it and about the aftermarket radio, and see if i can get a better price... then maybe ill take it to the mechanic, who actually has a shop specialized in customizing jeeps, so he knows how to check them completely...

i already know of a couple of issues about the jeeps from those years, since i addresses them on my current jeep (replace trackbar bolts with 9/19, aftermarket trans cooler), but ill check to see if i find something else....

post #9 of 11 Old 05-08-2015, 01:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

thanx. so, you don't see a major problem with it being painted on the underside??

Some used car lots use cheap paint to cover ugly rust stains to increase the price, nothing more. the paint wouldn't turn me away at first, just make me a lot more cautious. When you personally inspect it, wear an old shirt and get ready to crawl under it. Look for any frame dents or sloppy welds that don't look factory.

I looked at the pictures again, this time paying more attention, and you can see that the front bumper was repainted to hide the faded bumpers, but you can also see where the passenger front has paint flaked off in a fashion that suggests it hit something.

Ultimately your looking at buying an 8 year old vehicle. It's going to have flaws and you'll have to decide if you're willing to deal with them.

post #10 of 11 Old 05-08-2015, 05:07 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I think someone is trying to slip you a mickey.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #11 of 11 Old 05-08-2015, 06:30 PM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Lots and lots of bad info here.

First off I am not sure I would be risking buying a used vehicle sight unseen 1000 miles away.

Next, some people don't drive a lot... my 07 just turned 50k. On the surface nothing suspicious. Then again in Mexico I would assume everything is suspicious

Also, there are a lot of misconceptions with all of the 07's JK's. There were a ton of different packages thrown together for the first year. Some early JK's are even found with a dana 35 rear end.

I have see quite a few Saharas with the basic JK rim direct from the dealer not uncommon

In addition in 07 Jeep offered gearing options, So you could get a base model JK, which was the X at the time with4:10 gearing as an option and no tow package (this is what mine had)

As far as the undercarriage paint, that is a used car specialty. Even i do it as a result of the road salt in the east . I will have to blast by frame, plates, axles, sway bars etc with black paint yearly . . ...its only surface rust.

Climb underneath.. if there are no gouges and the cross member which is as about as sturdy as a wet tortilla looks good you are probably guaranteed it hasn't been off road hard,

I would suggest getting the VIN # and getting the build sheet but what you shouldn't do is base yor decision on input from here when you are being misinformed,

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode