Cleaning up Air Flow on TB on 3.8L - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 Old 04-01-2010, 05:46 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage
Cleaning up Air Flow on TB on 3.8L

Has anyone here made and modifications to the TB on the 3.8L. I know it's a bit different than what I'm used to, which is earlier Mopar engines with TBs and fuel injection. I assume some of the techniques applied to those older TBs could be employed to improve these new fly by wire beasties.

Although I wonder if gulping huge amounts of air quickly is an attribute a Jeep driver would ever really want when off road. Maybe good for mud runners but rock crawling rigs, not so much.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 PM
Granite Guru

post #3 of 7 Old 04-01-2010, 09:35 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Four months and no one has a thread 20 pages long about it over here, plus in 4 months no dyno numbers and only a few post in the thread so I am on the snake oil stance till more proof comes into play. It's just hard to believe when so much has been tried with minimal gains.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 Old 04-01-2010, 11:06 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
Four months and no one has a thread 20 pages long about it over here, plus in 4 months no dyno numbers and only a few post in the thread so I am on the snake oil stance till more proof comes into play. It's just hard to believe when so much has been tried with minimal gains.
Good points. These facts do give me pause. On the Dakota forums, this topic was very hot and there was lots of hard numbers from the dyno and the track. I'm a bit cautious about mods until I'm reasonably sure they are worth while.

2008 Rubicon, 4 door Detonator yellow, 3.5" lift, Motech LS 6L engine conversion, RR Skids.
post #5 of 7 Old 04-02-2010, 06:49 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob4607 View Post
No dyno numbers as of yet for me (yes, I bought a TB.)

However, I can say that it has given the promised 2MPG increase in fuel mileage. The butt dyno doesn't notice a substanial change, however, there is less lag going up hills and better throttle response.

2008 Patriot Limited 4x4
2010 Jeep JK Sport 2dr/6spd/3.73's

Go visit
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
...and tell your friends!
post #6 of 7 Old 04-02-2010, 07:22 AM
Granite Guru

Sounds like it should work but I am not an engineer.

2009 JK Rubicon:
post #7 of 7 Old 04-02-2010, 07:44 AM
JKO Addict!

There was a thread about this here as well:
https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22644

The last post says Jack at Avenger was supposed to get some and do dyno testing on it (hopefully on my JK ) but as far as I know, he hasnt gotten any yet.

Also, I really hate to bring information up from the other forum, but there was a long thread there claiming that the throttle body off of a viper or a late 4.7 Durango would also work but didnt see any definitive results on that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode