Black Fenders White JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 02:41 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage
Black Fenders White JK

I have a white JKU. I just got in my PSC crusher flares and bumpers. Does anyone have any pictures of a white JK with painted black crusher flares ? Slash what color black should I do? I feel like gloss black will be too showy and too much of a stark contrast. I like the color of the factory fenders, hood latches, rubicon rails, etc. But what color is that? Is it like a satin black? Just flat black? This is why I don't make choices and decision on house paint. There needs to be one shade per color.

'15 JKUR
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 03:06 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Stop being a girl and spray them with some Rustoleum Bedliner Coating and install them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by braindead0 View Post
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
Reformed Jeep addict... Jeepless for now.
post #3 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 03:08 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I have a white jkur with black top as well. Over the years the black has turned a dull blackish gray to which I apply Exterior Turtle Was Ice which brings back the OEM color. It doesn't turn white like most plastic cleaners do. I would say that the original black was a satin. If you paint them glossy I'll make fun of you on the forum and pray for you at night. lol

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved ©2015
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCTAZ View Post
Stop being a girl and spray them with some Rustoleum Bedliner Coating and install them!
Hell that's probably the best advice i've heard all day! hahahah
post #5 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
I have a white jkur with black top as well. Over the years the black has turned a dull blackish gray to which I apply Exterior Turtle Was Ice which brings back the OEM color. It doesn't turn white like most plastic cleaners do. I would say that the original black was a satin. If you paint them glossy I'll make fun of you on the forum and pray for you at night. lol
Hahahaha I'd sure hope you would! Gotta have guys like you to shame me back to the right path. I'll give satin a whirl. Thanks brother.
post #6 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 05:48 PM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

These may help. Got them from the PSC website.
Attached Images

Quote:
post #7 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 06:04 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by eizenjin91 View Post
Hell that's probably the best advice i've heard all day! hahahah
JKCTAZ just beat me to the punch by a couple of hours. I used Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating (don't use "Rubberized Undercoat") and it has held up to the weather really well. Not quite as well to stone chips. And not nearly as well to granite. But I'm very happy with it for the money and effort spent.

My flares are aluminum, so rust is not an issue when the minor chips do show up. They come DA sanded with what looks like 60 - 80 grit, so there's a pretty good tooth to the surface already. I used Acetone to clean off any contaminants, then applied 4-5 coats of the Rustoleum Truck Bed Coating, all in the same day (pay attention to re-coat windows).

The stuff goes on heavy (and fast), as you might expect, so you'll want to be really careful not to get runs. I can't remember what the can recommends, but I held about an 18" distance from the surface and got a nice texture with no runs. It dries well enough to handle pretty quickly, but let it cure a few days before you bolt them up. It's a decent match for the OEM Rubi-rails, but the OEM finish has more of a gloss to it and a little less texture. All in all, though, I was really surprised how well they went together when mine was at that point. (Brawler Rockers were a later addition).

I should have bought stock in Rustoleum early on. I've used the same stuff on both bumpers, the Crusher Flares, inside the fender-wells, the Brawler Rockers, the Hi-Lift Jack carrier I built, and most recently I used it to "paint" my modified SmittyBilt Drawer in the back. No telling how much I've spent on the stuff, but it's been worth it and I would do it again.

Easy touch-ups too. For chips, I just spray some in an empty coffee can until I get a little puddle of liquid, then use a Q-Tip to daub some on the chips. For bigger stuff, or where you need a more general coverage, just clean the surface well and shoot a light coating over the whole piece. It doesn't flake off and it looks brand new.

Oh, and it goes well enough with the texture of the soft top that I used it on the sides of my camper shell for my M101A2 utility/expo trailer. (I used white rustoleum paint on top to control heat a little better.) I like the look, and I've had a lot of positive comments on it.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 05-04-2015 at 06:07 PM.
post #8 of 22 Old 05-04-2015, 06:06 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
These may help. Got them from the PSC website.
They did a build they called the "White Russian," a white JKU with all clear-coated aluminum pieces. It was really nice. If I had a white one, I'd have to think really hard about going that route.

Edit: Scratch that. Wasn't White Russian. I'll see if I can dig up the pics. Might have been Arctic Spyder, but I was remembering more exposed aluminum than that. Probably Old-timers' kicking in.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 05-04-2015 at 06:44 PM.
post #9 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Garage

Thanks for all the input guys. I couldn't decide so I said screw it and I ended up dropping it off for powdercoat. They're doing some Flat Black 3% gloss deal.

JKCTAZ before you even respond...

'15 JKUR
post #10 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 03:28 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Powdercoat? Really?? Uggghh!

Well, can I fondle your vagina?

Quote:
Some folks are fine with being screwed over, perhaps finding confrontation to be more stressful than just living with whatever the problem is. These are excellent consumers, manufactured to the finest specifications.
post #11 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 04:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Powdercoat? Really?? Uggghh!

Well, can I fondle your vagina?
What's wrong with powdercoat? (Asking seriously)

I really want to comment to the second statement but I'm zipping my lips!

Tammy
post #12 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 05:42 PM
Rock God

Garage

For something that's going to see hard use, powder coat is kind of money down a rat hole. It's a really nice durable finish that's just going to get scraped off. Then it's either do a repair with a rattle can (that won't match) or take it back and spend the same money all over again. Easier and cheaper just to rattle can them from the start.

Now let's see what JKCTAZ has to say.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #13 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 05:53 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
For something that's going to see hard use, powder coat is kind of money down a rat hole. It's a really nice durable finish that's just going to get scraped off. Then it's either do a repair with a rattle can (that won't match) or take it back and spend the same money all over again. Easier and cheaper just to rattle can them from the start.

Now let's see what JKCTAZ has to say.
You nailed it. Cullen, the OP, is not known to be easy on his vehicles. He was on tons with 40's before with his old JKU. Then he went to the dark side with a 2014 4Runner, he wheeled that so hard that he split the upper coil perches. Now he's back in a Jeep. So watching him powdercoat something is comical. I give them a week.

Quote:
post #14 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 05:54 PM
Granite Guru

I really want to comment to the second statement but I'm zipping my lips![/QUOTE]

And I really want to comment on your statement but I'm...well; you know...
post #15 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 06:02 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sexy4myshirt View Post
I really want to comment to the second statement but I'm zipping my lips!
And I really want to comment on your statement but I'm...well; you know...[/QUOTE]

Hey, fire away Fred, we can handle it.

Quote:
post #16 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 06:45 PM

First I power-coated them black then I took them to the dealership and had the tops painted white to match the jeep.

[IMG][/IMG]

Last edited by Rock Dude; 05-05-2015 at 06:51 PM.
post #17 of 22 Old 05-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Don't be hate'n on powder coat. A much more durable coating than rattle can paint. I powder coated (in a matte black) my steel poison spyder brawler rock rails and PS aluminum fenders when they new, and when I drag across the rocks, I touch up with a matte black rattle can. The powder coat guys media blast the bare steel and powder coat for about the same price as I could do with etching primer and top coat, and with a much more durable finish. No coating will stand up to dragging across granite, but IMHO, powder coat is a good option.

post #18 of 22 Old 05-06-2015, 08:04 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
I'm zipping my lips!
That must be done very, very carefully so that no pubes are caught up..........I imagine. lol

Quote:
post #19 of 22 Old 05-06-2015, 03:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
That must be done very, very carefully so that no pubes are caught up..........I imagine. lol
No worries here... You seemed to have forgotten my thread on waxing my Jeep! LOL!!!

Tammy
post #20 of 22 Old 05-06-2015, 03:20 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

The OP sent me a text message giving permission to fondle his gaping ginger vag... Stoked!

Quote:
post #21 of 22 Old 05-06-2015, 03:28 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
The OP sent me a text message giving permission to fondle his gaping ginger vag... Stoked!
what is OP?

Tammy
post #22 of 22 Old 05-06-2015, 03:30 PM
R.I.P. Mr. Nibbles!

Original Poster.

Quote:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode