Smitybuilt GEAR seat covers... - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 05:55 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Smitybuilt GEAR seat covers...

Howdy!!! I've been eyeballing the Smittybuilt GEAR seat covers and the overhead console storage. Anybody have either on their rig? How do they fit? Stout construction? Thanks for any input!!!

Gig 'em Aggies WHOOP!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 06:08 AM
Rock God

Garage

Welcome to JKO

I have the seat covers. I love them BUT there is one draw back. The portion that goes over the seat will make your back/butt sweat a lot. It does not breath at all. Here is what I am doing. I am taking the back piece and sowing them on back of the factory seat. Also make sure you do NOT cover the side airbag if you have them.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Welcome to JKOWNERS- Home of boobs, guns, meat, and Jeeps.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 06:12 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
Howdy!!! I've been eyeballing the Smittybuilt GEAR seat covers and the overhead console storage. Anybody have either on their rig? How do they fit? Stout construction? Thanks for any input!!!

Gig 'em Aggies WHOOP!!!
I have the tailgate gear bag and it kicks ass. I have seen the seat bags on a buddies TJ and they looked great too.

2009 Sahara Unlimited. 5.7L Hemi truck setup. Rock Krawler 5.5 coil over LA. Maxxis Trepador 40's . ATX Rims, XRC front rear and side armor. RROR Crusher corners, RROR flat flares. Warn XD9000i. Prorock 44 with RCV shafts. 5.13 gears, ARB front and rear lockers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 06:54 AM
Rock God

Garage

The seat covers aren't what I would call a perfect fit, but, they do work. I have since cut off the bottom half and only left the upper part with the storage. The stretchy line/hook things ended up wearing out and being useless, so, i removed the problem. Also, mine faded pretty quickly. What was once a nice black seat cover, is now a grayish-purplish and the velcro went to a rusty look. My overall opinion.... the jury is still out...

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #5 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 07:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
The seat covers aren't what I would call a perfect fit, but, they do work. I have since cut off the bottom half and only left the upper part with the storage. The stretchy line/hook things ended up wearing out and being useless, so, i removed the problem. Also, mine faded pretty quickly. What was once a nice black seat cover, is now a grayish-purplish and the velcro went to a rusty look. My overall opinion.... the jury is still out...
That sucks bro. i have the tan and Velcro and color still looks new. I have dealt with their customer service in the past and they where great. Try giving them a call, maybe they can help you out. Can't hurt to ask. Good Luck bro.

07 JK 2/DR Sahara, 35" Wrangler kevlar, 10k Winch, Garvin Roof Rack, 3" Black Diamond, CatBack Exhaust, RR Gen-1 Snorkel, too much more to list

Quote:
post #6 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 07:14 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by bodybrdng View Post
That sucks bro. i have the tan and Velcro and color still looks new. I have dealt with their customer service in the past and they where great. Try giving them a call, maybe they can help you out. Can't hurt to ask. Good Luck bro.
Meh, not worth the call. After the first summer they looked like ass. Then I cut it apart when it started flapping. I just wouldn't recommend them in black. The sun naturally fades things, but, this just faded FAST. I was pretty disappointed, but, whatcha gonna do? The fitment was the first disappointment, and it's the durability that just added to the misery. I think it pretty much killed my chances of buying smittybilt anything again, and I really don't feel the need to call some poor customer service agent and bitch in her ear that the product was sub-par. I didn't buy it. It was a gift. No money lost on my end.

Jersey
Crew
JK retired Wednesday, March 21st, 2012.
07 X 6spd • Clayton 3.5 • OME LT • ORE Gussets/Sleeves • RCV Shafts • JKS Discos & Track • AEV Snorkel • FLW Rear Bumper • RRF Front• PSC Sliders • RROR Skids • Poly P. Ball Joints• Wood's Shafts• Yukon Gears • Maxxis Kreepy Krawlers • Superwinch epi9• Safari Straps
post #7 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 12:14 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. T View Post
Meh, not worth the call. After the first summer they looked like ass. Then I cut it apart when it started flapping. I just wouldn't recommend them in black. The sun naturally fades things, but, this just faded FAST. I was pretty disappointed, but, whatcha gonna do? The fitment was the first disappointment, and it's the durability that just added to the misery. I think it pretty much killed my chances of buying smittybilt anything again, and I really don't feel the need to call some poor customer service agent and bitch in her ear that the product was sub-par. I didn't buy it. It was a gift. No money lost on my end.
Damn bro, sorry to hear about your problems. At least it was a gift. Once I sow mine on the back of the factory seat they will be perfect.

I have the Smitty 10k winch and love it, hasn't let me down yet

Quote:

Last edited by bodybrdng; 04-01-2010 at 12:18 PM.
post #8 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 02:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I'm entertaining placing those Jeep seat towels over the Smittybuilt GEAR seat covers to minimize the heat issues mentioned earlier by bodybrdg. I can just assemble my own seat covers with Wal Mart towels and some brass grommits. Just out of curiosity, are those Wet Okole neoprene seat covers hot during the summer?
post #9 of 17 Old 04-01-2010, 03:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i am looking at the overhead console. i havent heard of anyone running it?

i was gonna go black but after hearing about the fading issue im rethinking it.

2008 steel blue sahara
with some doo-dads
post #10 of 17 Old 04-02-2010, 07:56 AM
Granite Guru

I had the seat covers. They looked real cool and all for about a week, but the Florida sun made them an awkward purple in short order. Also, getting stuff out of them wasn't super easy (the bottom bags, specifically). I got the tailgate thing, and I love that. I took a couple of the bags from the seat covers when I removed them and put them back there as well. Still have storage for all my crap, still easy to get to (easier, even), and my seats are no longer...lilac.

post #11 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 04:47 PM
JKO Addict!

so, you buy black, you get purple after it hits the sun. crap...
post #12 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 09:17 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by leman View Post
i am looking at the overhead console. i havent heard of anyone running it?

i was gonna go black but after hearing about the fading issue im rethinking it.
Hi, I have the Overhead Console. Actually, I have another one brand new in the box.
I love it. The brace from the windshield to the sound bar is stout. I would highly recommend it. Has alot of pouches and also loops to attach things too.
post #13 of 17 Old 01-05-2011, 10:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwickham_78 View Post
Hi, I have the Overhead Console. Actually, I have another one brand new in the box.
I love it. The brace from the windshield to the sound bar is stout. I would highly recommend it. Has alot of pouches and also loops to attach things too.
Wanna sell the extra one? What color is it?

I have the seat covers and like them..

post #14 of 17 Old 01-06-2011, 09:36 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellbound13 View Post
Wanna sell the extra one? What color is it?

I have the seat covers and like them..

It is black. Let me know.
post #15 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 02:18 AM
Wheeler

I had the green ones. Very cool, but they did fade from the sun on the lower seat portion. Bags still look good. I tried to die them black, and they wouldn't even take a bit of the die!!! Go figure, the sun easily fades them, but you can't die them.

Anyway, I have a full set of green bags if anyone is interested. PM me and we will talk about price......it'll be cheap though.
post #16 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 03:22 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I have a set of blackones that are going up in the for sale section in a few days
post #17 of 17 Old 01-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Rock God

here check this out

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43256

Rescue Green 2008 Sahara Unlimited; RK 3.5 max travel; 37" Toyo Mt; PSC Brawler lite front bumper; PSC rock brawler rear w/ tire carrier; OR-Fab rock guards; Aev hood

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode