Input on intakes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 46 Old 07-15-2008, 05:59 PM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage
Input on intakes

im looking into getting a intake to help out the power for towing my camper, what ddoes everyone have and do you like/reccomed it or would you pick another, im hoping it will make a difference with my high flow exhaust i already have

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 46 Old 07-15-2008, 06:15 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

they make lots of noise and a little bit of power
I have an airaid on mine and it makes a little noise during normal driving but gets LOUD at full throttle

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #3 of 46 Old 07-15-2008, 08:05 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
I have an airaid on mine and it makes a little noise during normal driving but gets LOUD at full throttle
Ditto

jk-forum, jk forum, jkforum, jeep jk wrangler
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 46 Old 07-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by venom View Post
Double Ditto...

On another note, works well and sounds badass on my 4.7L though!

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #5 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 01:01 AM
Wheeler

I love the way my Airaid sounds! Definitely made a difference on the the seat of the pants O' meter.....

Black '07 2dr M6 Rubicon/Warn 9.5ti
post #6 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 04:24 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

the sound doesnt really matter, but i might look into the airaid, seems to be the choice here.

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #7 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 05:23 AM
Granite Guru

Well I have a True Flow, seems to work well and give a good sound when you hit the loud pedal hard.

JK X Unlimited 3.5" RE Long Arm Lift, RE Drivelines, Rugged Ridge 17 x 9 Steel Wheels, 35" Mickey MTZ's, Bushwhacker Flares, 4.10 ratio, Rugged Ridge Front & Rear Bumpers.
TJ Wrangler 3.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio 33" Tyres
TJ Wrangler 5.5" RE Long Arm Lift, ARB's 4.56 ratio, 35" Tyres
XJ Cherokee 5.5" RE Lift, ARB's 4.88 ratio 35" Tyres
post #8 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 05:51 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by seal20 View Post
I love the way my Airaid sounds! Definitely made a difference on the the seat of the pants O' meter.....
AKA... in your mind. I use to think my car felt faster after an oil change and a car wash.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #9 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 08:24 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
AKA... in your mind. I use to think my car felt faster after an oil change and a car wash.
Ditto again…. Also I have heard if you go into deep water the intake is a bad idea. I am thinking of replacing mine with a snorkel in the future. I don’t have much to worry about though, I live in a dry parched arid place called phoenix.

post #10 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 09:54 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigjerm View Post
I use to think my car felt faster after an oil change and a car wash.
You mean it doesn't go faster? I swear mine does

I also have an Airaid intake and it definitely improves throttle response, and most probably picks up the performance a little. With a Magnaflow muffler, I really can't hear the intake, but the vehicle is pretty loud when you stand on the gas I've been asked a couple of times if there's a Hemi in it
post #11 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougnpj View Post
Also I have heard if you go into deep water the intake is a bad idea.
I've ran through 42" of water without an issue, (well, apart from flooding the interior and trunk). I do run an Outerwears cover just to be on the safe side though. It won't help with total submersion, but will help prevent the stray splash or two.
post #12 of 46 Old 07-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
I've ran through 42" of water without an issue, (well, apart from flooding the interior and trunk). I do run an Outerwears cover just to be on the safe side though. It won't help with total submersion, but will help prevent the stray splash or two.
Thanks for this info.

post #13 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 03:57 AM
Rock God

Has anyone ever run the S&B intake? I was looking at either that or the AEM if I decide to go with a dry filter.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #14 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Rock God

Quote:
You mean it doesn't go faster? I swear mine does
Mine does, but only with the car wash.

I no longer work with Warrior. I am now working with The FIRM.
post #15 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 09:20 AM
Rock God

Hmmmm... louder? Wonder what mine will sound like with the straight Magnaflow muffler I have now?

Dirty Minion #6
post #16 of 46 Old 07-17-2008, 11:26 AM
TrailDuty.com

FWIW My intake air temp runs about 20°F hotter than the ambient air temp when on the freeway with the Airaid intake. Anything from 40-70°F hotter when around town.
post #17 of 46 Old 07-18-2008, 01:02 AM
Rock God

Just installed the AEM kit. Based on MY butt dyno, there is a small difference. Running it in conjuction with a magnaflow exhaust (Cooltech kit) and it sounds and runs better than stock. Big differnce...NO! but enough to make me Definitely like exhaust a whole lot better than when I had the stock intake.

Quote:
FWIW My intake air temp runs about 20°F hotter than the ambient air temp when on the freeway with the Airaid intake. Anything from 40-70°F hotter when around town.
This would make a great justification for an AEV hood Now if I can just find someone to ship one to me for decent price to Hawaii

FAR FROM STOCK

OHANA TRAILS

post #18 of 46 Old 07-18-2008, 03:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerMonkeY View Post
the sound doesnt really matter, but i might look into the airaid, seems to be the choice here.
Before you order one check out A&A auto. I got mine there and it was cheaper than I could find online.

07 Rubi Unlimited , 4.5 clayton longarm, 37" Maxxis treps, AtoZ fabrication, Genright, and Polyperformance
post #19 of 46 Old 07-18-2008, 03:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

the reason I went with an airaid was the free throttle spacer they were giving away at the time.
another HP gimmick that doesn't work or makes such a small difference its pretty much nonexistent, but most of the intakes are pretty much the same design and same price so I went with the one that came with the $100 freebie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
post #20 of 46 Old 07-20-2008, 06:20 AM Thread Starter
JKO Addict!

Garage

i ended up with a AFE. 4wd was having a sale at the york jeep show and that was the only one they had there so i got it, its def loud and seems to give me a bit more power around the 2000-2500 rpm range so far, i think it helps i have a non-stock exhaust

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
post #21 of 46 Old 07-28-2008, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Anyone running one of the aFe Sealed Air Intakes? The only reason I am considering it is that it uses the same intake as the stock box, so the filter is not exposed, and the filter does not use oil. Basically the benefit of a bigger filter that does not run with oil. Will it make any kind of difference? Will the extra air coming in mess with the sensor? I am a little hesitant to spend close to 300 bones if it is not going to be beneficial. BTW, my Jeep has a Flowmaster Delta 40 muffler.

You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline. It helps if you have some kind of a football team, or some nuclear weapons, but at the very least you need a beer - Frank Zappa

post #22 of 46 Old 07-28-2008, 08:25 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
Has anyone ever run the S&B intake? I was looking at either that or the AEM if I decide to go with a dry filter.
I have the AEM works good. Knock it clean then blow it out with the compresser. I have the Magnaflow and can't hear the intake. Power gains are modest. Sounds good.

Rubicon Unlimited, Rescue Green, Warn bumper, Aux lighting, Warn Powerplant, Warn dif protecectors, Rock Hard Rear Bumper all accessories, 5.38, 37x12.50MT on 17"Moto Metals, Edelbrock Extreme Travel shocks, Russell ext S,S, brake lines, Superlift 4'' CAI, Magna Flow, Cobra CB, Staun deflators, Huskey mats, Grab Handles, set up to flat tow, Oil, tranny, shock, muffler & control arm skids, , Chrome, sils, grill inserts & light cages.

Last edited by Lensman; 07-28-2008 at 08:29 PM.
post #23 of 46 Old 08-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
Just installed mine yesterday...Pretty satisfied....

post #24 of 46 Old 08-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldaman View Post
Just installed mine yesterday...Pretty satisfied....

Brah...great looking setup! Do you get a whistling noise with the intake?

FAR FROM STOCK

OHANA TRAILS

post #25 of 46 Old 08-20-2008, 12:04 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Although Ive not done an aftmkt intake on my JK yet, I have used some different ones in the past on a couple of TJs and on a Toyota Tacoma....K&N, AFE, and another one...cant remember the brand...They all made a "whistling" kinda noise, however that is normal. If you simply remove the factory filter and leave the cover off of the stock box... you can hear a similar "whistling" noise as well. Not suggesting that someone should actually drive a vehicle like that...but for kicks, w/ the vehicle at idle in the driveway, you can do that, and hear the additional air flow. *Repeat- DONT DRIVE IT LIKE THAT*...And if you do temporarily remove the lid and the filter, make sure that the intake tube isnt going to suck in any dirt or leaves (found in the bottom of the box).
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode