Performance Chip Question - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Performance Chip Question

What Chip would you recommend for a 08 Stock JK? Looking to improve overall performance. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 02:15 PM
Rock God

I wouldn’t recommend any of them just because pretty much everyone who has one has said performance and mpg gains were minimal at best....

But with that said if I HAD to pick one, Hypertech.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
post #3 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 02:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to venom

chip no, programmer yes, my Jet chip did pretty much nothing. Same as my t-body spacer.
seems as though gains with chips are negligible at best, while people with the hypertech programmers are at least reporting SOME help, dyno charts confirm some gains as well. The flexibility to change tire size, etc and the ability to get future updates via the net are always a good thing.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My Wife
I might just go crazy and kill you in your sleep, instead of just planning it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 02:47 PM
lbh
Rock God

I agree, forget the chip. I know people have had success with programmers. I will eventually get a progrmammer to correct the speedo etc, but not so much for performance. I really think any performance mod on the 3.7 is worthless, unless you go whole hog and get a supercharger. My biggest performance gains came from a re-gear.

2007 JK
post #5 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 05:05 PM
Rock God

Weren't people having problems with their speedo's quitting with the Hypertec? And does the Hypertec make adjusting shift points in the auto possible? This, and tire size correction is really the only reason I'd want one.

SOLD-08 Unlimited X, "jeep green", auto, limited slip, hushpower muffler, Aerotech Interceptor gauge,Powerstroke tranny cooler, skidrow evap skid, AFE Pro 7 filter, Teraflex leveling kit, EVO control arm skids, 15x8 Black Rock 909's, 33" KM2's
post #6 of 13 Old 07-15-2008, 05:52 PM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by afoulk View Post
Weren't people having problems with their speedo's quitting with the Hypertec? And does the Hypertec make adjusting shift points in the auto possible? This, and tire size correction is really the only reason I'd want one.
You can't adjust the shift points yourself, but it does adjust them for you and does a good job. I have an Hypertech Max Energy programmer and really like it, and for me it was worth it.

You could use a Hypertech Speedometer Calibrator for now, which is upgradeable, and then if/when shift points become an adjustable feature you could upgrade it.
post #7 of 13 Old 07-24-2008, 10:56 PM
lbh
Rock God

I am interested in the hypertech with regards to shift points. You said that it did it well, did you notice a big change? Any input would help, it is the next item on my "to do" list.

2007 JK
post #8 of 13 Old 07-25-2008, 06:21 AM
TrailDuty.com

It's hard to say how much it improves them, as the change from correcting tire size and gear ratio is quite big, but I definitely "feel" an improvement.

I've been running the Premium program the last few days, and there is quite a distinct change in shift points, they are definitely higher than on the Regular gas program.
post #9 of 13 Old 07-31-2008, 06:45 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilD View Post
It's hard to say how much it improves them, as the change from correcting tire size and gear ratio is quite big, but I definitely "feel" an improvement.

I've been running the Premium program the last few days, and there is quite a distinct change in shift points, they are definitely higher than on the Regular gas program.
I've been curious about this. I switched to the premium program awhile back and was wondering if anyone else was doing it given the price or premium gas.
post #10 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 06:54 AM
TrailDuty.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubirobv View Post
I've been curious about this. I switched to the premium program awhile back and was wondering if anyone else was doing it given the price or premium gas.
I switched to the premium as I wondered if the small increase in performance may result in a small increase in mpg, but I can't say that is the case. However, for the last few days I've been running regular gas on the premium program with no knocking at all.
post #11 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 02:46 PM
JR
Rock God

Unichips just dropped price again, get em for $459 shipped now.

http://www.rjroffroad.com/unichip-pe...-pr-17288.html

Tuneable by any tuning center for when you make changes too.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
post #12 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 03:02 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
I switched to the premium as I wondered if the small increase in performance may result in a small increase in mpg, but I can't say that is the case. However, for the last few days I've been running regular gas on the premium program with no knocking at all.
That's interesting. I'll have to try that.
post #13 of 13 Old 08-01-2008, 03:07 PM
JR
Rock God

Quote:
Does the 3.8L have a knock sensor? If so it's not surprising, the ecu would retard timing to deter any knock that was detected. Knock/Detonation has to be pretty bad before it's audible without a listening device.

Jason from RJR Off-Road

coupon code = JKOWNERS
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode