3/4 Shackle Pins?? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 Old 04-28-2015, 08:31 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

3/4 Shackle Pins??

Anyone know of a good place to buy just the pins? I'm a slow learner and keep losing the damn things. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 07:18 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

http://www.suncorstainless.com/shackle-pin

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #3 of 10 Old 04-29-2015, 01:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Thanks, will look.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 Old 04-30-2015, 05:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Sams Misguided Child View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by X50ARM View Post
Thanks, will look.
That's good info Gunny, but X50ARM needs to double check the Working Load Limit on those Stainless pins. I'm betting they're not rated for as much as his D-Rings. The 3/4" pin on that site is only rated at 6,000# WLL. It's pretty typical that stainless is not as strong as its non-stainless counterpart.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 10 Old 05-01-2015, 07:23 AM
Gunnery Sergeant USMC (ret)

Good looking out, that is the only place that I could find that sold just the pins, hopefully they can help him out with regular pins or point him in the right direction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lohchief View Post
If people don't take a stand now,you'll be bitches under their thumbs tomorrow.
Quote:
I think too much of a pressure variant between Earth and outer-space... lack of oxygen... something like that.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-03-2015, 07:43 AM
Wheeler

I've been a Rigger for 20 years, and we were always taught that pins stay with the shackles, don't swap them between them, and if you loose one, toss the bell.

Every manufacturer uses different alloys, and the pin is either the same, or in some cases forged of a stronger alloy.

I suppose it may not be as big a deal on equipment used for vehicle recovery vs. overhead lifting, but safe practices are safe practices and folks can still get hurt.

Get a wire rope ferrule crimper, and make yourself some 1/8" cable leashes, long enough to allow pulling the pin, and you'll never loose them again.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-03-2015, 08:56 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rigger007 View Post
I've been a Rigger for 20 years, and we were always taught that pins stay with the shackles, don't swap them between them, and if you loose one, toss the bell.

Every manufacturer uses different alloys, and the pin is either the same, or in some cases forged of a stronger alloy.

I suppose it may not be as big a deal on equipment used for vehicle recovery vs. overhead lifting, but safe practices are safe practices and folks can still get hurt.

Get a wire rope ferrule crimper, and make yourself some 1/8" cable leashes, long enough to allow pulling the pin, and you'll never loose them again.
^^Word^^ As a former NDT guy/Mechnical Skills Instructor, one of my jobs was to ultrasonically inspect all of the shackles and pins used by the heavy equipment guys. One of our failure criteria was simple. Any shackle and/or pin not made in the US was discarded. Most off roader's that use shackle's and pins are not aware of the technical side of their use. For the whole cable, hook, shackle and pin system you use you should have at the very least a technical understanding of their safe use and capabilities along with some basic rigging. Read the attached.

http://www.certex.com/assets/hardware.pdf

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #8 of 10 Old 05-03-2015, 01:41 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

RubiCajun and Rigger007 are 100% correct. Loose the pin, toss the bell. 20yrs in the Gulf of Mexico as a commercial diver in the oilfield, now working international as a saturation dive supervisor. 90% of what we do is rigging, and I've seen lifts go really, really bad.

"Any shackle and/or pin not made in the US was discarded."

The commercial diving industry has taken that even further and will only use Crosby rigging. I've been working offshore of Dubai for the last year, and they only use USA made Crosby rigging. But these idiots won't even let us use screw pins, everything has to be 3 piece.

Kevin
post #9 of 10 Old 05-03-2015, 07:51 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Thanks guys, I never would have thought. I just bought some new shackles and stuck a zip tie through the pin hole and the bell. Too bad, those other two without pins have only been used a couple times.
post #10 of 10 Old 05-04-2015, 11:22 AM
Rock God

Garage

This has turned into a pretty informative thread. Thanks to all you pros who have passed along your knowledge and experience. Eye-opening stuff!

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode