NEW HAM RADIO - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 04-26-2015, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

NEW HAM RADIO

I have a question for the HAM operators. I'm looking at replacing my current 2m radio with one that is multi-band and has a remote mount option. I would like to know what everyone is running, and if you are happy with the performance e.g. interference problems with on board computers, and what you would consider if you are not.

Please include:
Brand
Model
Band coverage
Antenna
Mounting location of radio and antenna

Thanks,
Joe

The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.

Last edited by g i joe; 04-26-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 04-26-2015, 08:05 PM
Granite Guru

I don't have one as of yet. So no real world experience to offer, I plan on ordering this one though. I like the idea of the unit being tucked in a water tight box while the faceplate is mounted in my overhead.

http://www.dxengineering.com/parts/i...FdcYgQod-D0Aig
post #3 of 12 Old 04-26-2015, 08:30 PM
JKO Addict!

Haficon the biggest problem with the way you want to mount that unit is the mic plugs into the main body not the faceplate. They make a 16 foot extension for the mic so you can put it anywhere you like.

All I have right now is a kenwood tm281a 2m only... rugged critter. If I want to go dual band I fire up the baofeng

08 2 door (yes they made them) 3.5 RK lift, 35s lunchbox locked 30 front 44 LSD rear

Ocala Jeep Club CERT member. Nation's 1st jeep CERT team

Proud to be deplorable

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 05-18-2015, 07:47 PM
Wheeler

I've mounted mine to the passenger side of the center console. Yaesu 2500

2012 JKU Sport
3" Tera lift, 35" Kevlars, 4.88s & ARBs

Trail toy is an' 80 CJ with MB grille--www.marbryson.com
post #5 of 12 Old 05-20-2015, 08:55 AM
Owl
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by g i joe View Post
I have a question for the HAM operators. I'm looking at replacing my current 2m radio with one that is multi-band and has a remote mount option. I would like to know what everyone is running, and if you are happy with the performance e.g. interference problems with on board computers, and what you would consider if you are not.

Please include:
Brand
Model
Band coverage
Antenna
Mounting location of radio and antenna

Thanks,
Joe
Kenwood TM-D710
144 / 440 mhz
Don't remember the antenna, but obviously dual band
The antenna is mounted on a Teraflex mount / on the swing-out tire carrier. Ground braid run from the chassis to the antenna base.
The radio is mounted under the passengers seat, and the control head is mounted on the dash.
post #6 of 12 Old 05-21-2015, 04:21 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up Yaseu VX-7

I'm using an HT (VX-7) sitting in the charging station with a waterproof speaker/Mic. The VX-7 is an older model radio, but submersible (1 meter for 30 minutes) so OK if it gets a little water on it. It's dual receive and transmits on 220. 440, 2M and 6M bands. I'm using an external antenna. I keep a rubber ducky antenna in the jeep giving me the option to take it out and use it as a handy talky if needed. Works for me and low cost.
Attached Images

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #7 of 12 Old 05-23-2015, 12:17 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have a Yaesu FT857D. Remote control head is mounted to the dash bar of my Poison Spyder cage with a RAM mount and the power unit is mounted to a bracket above the passenger side rear wheel well (inside). I think there are some pics in my build thread.

The radio is 80m - 6m plus 2m & 440 MHz. It has dual antenna outputs so I run a 2m / 440 NGP antenna direct and a 102" whip off an FC-40 automatic tuner (mounted to the driver's side D-pillar of the cage) for HF. I also have an ATAS-120 antenna (not currently mounted), but have not been happy with its (lack of) performance on HF. It did fine on 2m, but that's a lot of bulk for just a 2m antenna. So basically, with the FireStik for CB as well, the back of my rig looks like an antenna farm, lol. Hope this helps. I can get pics of anything you like if need be.

73s

Scott
WD5COT

Edit: No adverse affect on the Jeep from the radio, but I do have some alternator noise in my receive audio. If it ever bugs me enough, it should be pretty easy to fix with some chokes, etc. Never had a report of it in the transmit audio.

Edit #2:
Quote:
Originally Posted by HAFICON View Post
I like the idea of the unit being tucked in a water tight box while the faceplate is mounted in my overhead.
That sounds good on the surface, but cooling is going to be an issue in a water-tight box. The finals will need airflow over the heat sink.

Edit #3 for pics:

Not totally happy with this mount for the control head, but that's not a big deal. There are mounts everywhere.

I should probably add that I have installed Poison Spyder's C-pillar kit, so the pic below will make sense. This is the mounting location of the main radio unit . . .

. . . using this Molle bracket I found on eBay sometime before:

Here's the tuner for the HF antenna (had to fab the mounting plate myself -- that's why you'll see the Sharpie marks on it. It'll get painted someday. ):

And the antenna farm on the back of the rig is below. That's not the permanent home of the 2m / 440 antenna, but the bracket and coax were already in place from when I had the ATAS-120 there, so I used them. My plan is to replace the factory AM/FM antenna with the 2m / 440 antenna, then use a hidden antenna under the dash for the AM/FM. I rarely listen to AM/FM anyway, so if reception suffers, no biggie.

Under the plastic trim at both rear corners of the tub is a grommet for wires to pass from inside the tub to the area behind the tail lights. I used this grommet to pass the coaxes through from inside the tub and you can see the bulkhead coax fitting coming through the corner armor just to the right of the tail light. There is another one at the other corner of the tub, but I didn't see the need to show another pic. I thought this was a clean way to route the coaxes with minimal chance of trail damage. And if you ever want to disconnect a coax or antenna, just screw a cap on the connector to prevent water incursion. Of course, you have to be ready to drill a 7/8" hole through your tub, but since I had already butchered the taillight holes for the Crusher Corners that was no big deal to me. And the back side of the hole is in the void behind the taillights, not inside the tub, so you're not going to have an issue with water getting into the tub.

More info than you asked for, I know, but when you start installing your system, you're going to have a lot more to consider than just what radio and where to mount it.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:

Last edited by UnlimiDozer; 05-23-2015 at 02:15 PM.
post #8 of 12 Old 05-24-2015, 02:20 PM
Rock God

Garage
Thumbs up Nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnlimiDozer View Post
I have a Yaesu FT857D. Remote control head is mounted to the dash bar of my Poison Spyder cage with a RAM mount and the power unit is mounted to a bracket above the passenger side rear wheel well (inside). I think there are some pics in my build thread.

The radio is 80m - 6m plus 2m & 440 MHz. It has dual antenna outputs so I run a 2m / 440 NGP antenna direct and a 102" whip off an FC-40 automatic tuner (mounted to the driver's side D-pillar of the cage) for HF. I also have an ATAS-120 antenna (not currently mounted), but have not been happy with its (lack of) performance on HF. It did fine on 2m, but that's a lot of bulk for just a 2m antenna. So basically, with the FireStik for CB as well, the back of my rig looks like an antenna farm, lol. Hope this helps. I can get pics of anything you like if need be.

73s

Scott
WD5COT

Edit: No adverse affect on the Jeep from the radio, but I do have some alternator noise in my receive audio. If it ever bugs me enough, it should be pretty easy to fix with some chokes, etc. Never had a report of it in the transmit audio.

Edit #2:

That sounds good on the surface, but cooling is going to be an issue in a water-tight box. The finals will need airflow over the heat sink.

Edit #3 for pics:

Not totally happy with this mount for the control head, but that's not a big deal. There are mounts everywhere.

I should probably add that I have installed Poison Spyder's C-pillar kit, so the pic below will make sense. This is the mounting location of the main radio unit . . .

. . . using this Molle bracket I found on eBay sometime before:

Here's the tuner for the HF antenna (had to fab the mounting plate myself -- that's why you'll see the Sharpie marks on it. It'll get painted someday. ):

And the antenna farm on the back of the rig is below. That's not the permanent home of the 2m / 440 antenna, but the bracket and coax were already in place from when I had the ATAS-120 there, so I used them. My plan is to replace the factory AM/FM antenna with the 2m / 440 antenna, then use a hidden antenna under the dash for the AM/FM. I rarely listen to AM/FM anyway, so if reception suffers, no biggie.

Under the plastic trim at both rear corners of the tub is a grommet for wires to pass from inside the tub to the area behind the tail lights. I used this grommet to pass the coaxes through from inside the tub and you can see the bulkhead coax fitting coming through the corner armor just to the right of the tail light. There is another one at the other corner of the tub, but I didn't see the need to show another pic. I thought this was a clean way to route the coaxes with minimal chance of trail damage. And if you ever want to disconnect a coax or antenna, just screw a cap on the connector to prevent water incursion. Of course, you have to be ready to drill a 7/8" hole through your tub, but since I had already butchered the taillight holes for the Crusher Corners that was no big deal to me. And the back side of the hole is in the void behind the taillights, not inside the tub, so you're not going to have an issue with water getting into the tub.

More info than you asked for, I know, but when you start installing your system, you're going to have a lot more to consider than just what radio and where to mount it.
Very nice and clean install Scott!

NI6HT Alton

Paved Roads - Another Fine Example of Unnecessary Government Waste!
Modes - 3.5" Lift - Steel Jeep Bumper with Winch. Body Armor 4x4 Rear Bumper and Rock Sliders. - Hard Top painted White to repel the HEAT! - Ham\CB Radio - A few dents and Scratches John Bull Mod to Front & Rear Diff Covers. Woods Steering Stabilizer Relocation Bracket. Off-road Front, Rear and Rock Lights, Rear CAM, On Board Air.
post #9 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 11:12 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacktuttle View Post
Very nice and clean install Scott!

NI6HT Alton
Thank you, sir. As with all things Jeep (or Ham for that matter, in my experience), it's a work in progress. I think Jeep's successor to the Wrangler nameplate should be designated the "ND" for "Never Done!"

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #10 of 12 Old 05-25-2015, 11:28 PM
Wheeler

Garage

Yeasu FTM-400D 144/430 MHz.

Name:  IMG_1702.jpg
Views: 2001
Size:  30.6 KB

Name:  IMG_1705 (1).jpg
Views: 5547
Size:  26.1 KB

Name:  IMG_1704 (1).jpg
Views: 1358
Size:  27.1 KB

Main box under the drivers seat.

Name:  IMG_1698 (1).jpg
Views: 1446
Size:  36.9 KB

Easy place to put an antenna. Might move it at some point though.

I also put a remote speaker above the drivers left shoulder in the B pillar corner foam.

2012 JK Unlimited Rubicon with the usual stuff bolted on.

Last edited by rhljk; 05-26-2015 at 12:05 AM.
post #11 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 07:06 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhljk View Post

I also put a remote speaker above the drivers left shoulder in the B pillar corner foam.
Do you have any details of speaker install?

The original point and click interface was a Colt.

Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you... the AMERICAN SOLDIER and JESUS CHRIST. One died for your freedom; the other for your soul.
post #12 of 12 Old 05-28-2015, 11:44 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by g i joe View Post
Do you have any details of speaker install?
Yeah, I'd like to see that as well.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode