How to make 2015 JKU better city driver? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 07:45 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How to make 2015 JKU better city driver?

My parents recently bought me a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Trim, because I usually move large items and it has a massive storage space and I have two huskies i put in the back also. How can i make this vehicle better on the freeway & open road?? I most likely won't be doing off roading, since I live down town Toronto.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by CityDriver View Post
My parents recently bought me a Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Trim, because I usually move large items and it has a massive storage space and I have two huskies i put in the back also. How can i make this vehicle better on the freeway & open road?? I most likely won't be doing off roading, since I live down town Toronto.
I have a '11 Sahara Unlimited that I basically have turned into a Rubicon ; I DDrove it for three years and have 72k miles on her. Many mods ( see my profile page) and of them all, as far as drivability around my short commute, in retrospect I regretted not purchasing my Superchips Flashpaq as first mod ( they did not have a tune for the '11s until a year and half after I acquired the Jeep)
yes, they make that much difference. Yes, they are not cheap but they work exactly as advertised and you will thank yourself.
just my .02 cents

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 09:55 AM
Wheeler

You are probably gonna need to provide some more details about what you don't like about it as it sits today. Is it bone stock now, what year is it, what mods are on it?

Everybody has different tastes as to what they want in their vehicles. My wife likes her JKU's ride on the softer side. I like my JK set up a good bit firmer. She's ok with the power, I of course would love more. Just remember that there are some inherent traits of a JKU that you won't be able to overcome (i.e. it's a brick on wheels so not much you can do with cross winds pushing it around).

Describe what you don't like and a budget and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Mine: 2016 JKUR
Hers: 2014 JKU
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 10:28 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

How to make 2015 JKU better city driver?

It's a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Model, 3.21 rear axle, it's stock, no mods made yet... It's really bad at cornering, it drags when braking. I just want the steering to be a bit more responsive, maybe a less shaky ride also. How can i also make it a bit faster??. What mods would i need??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steiny View Post
You are probably gonna need to provide some more details about what you don't like about it as it sits today. Is it bone stock now, what year is it, what mods are on it?

Everybody has different tastes as to what they want in their vehicles. My wife likes her JKU's ride on the softer side. I like my JK set up a good bit firmer. She's ok with the power, I of course would love more. Just remember that there are some inherent traits of a JKU that you won't be able to overcome (i.e. it's a brick on wheels so not much you can do with cross winds pushing it around).

Describe what you don't like and a budget and I'm sure you'll get plenty of suggestions.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

Last edited by CityDriver; 04-26-2015 at 10:31 AM.
post #5 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM
Rock God

Lower profile tires will enhance steering response and increase acceleration rate. Michelin LTX A/T2 or Pirelli Scorpion ATR would be good choices for quality and weather conditions. The Michs are better on ice.
post #6 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 11:32 AM
Wheeler

1. Lower profile tires
2. new shocks (Rancho RS9000 for ex.)
3. stiffer springs (possibly rubicon takeoffs from one with the max tow option if yours doesnt have it)
4. change gearing from the 3.21
5. Flashpaq

and if still not happy and have the coin go with supercharger or a V8 swap

Mine: 2016 JKUR
Hers: 2014 JKU
post #7 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 12:34 PM
Granite Guru

Buy a Grand Cherokee!

Seriously I haved owned at least one of just about every solid axle Jeep out there and the JK 4 door is about the nicest street vehicle of them all other than maybe an older Grand Cherokee (when they still had solid axles). Not sure since that is one of the few I never owned.
The onroad quality of these Jeeps is a compromise for their offroad ability. Not much getting around that. That is why Consumer Reports and all of the other cupholder sniffers hate them so much.
post #8 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 01:13 PM
Granite Guru

Here you go, what every pavement princess JK needs. A 2 inch lowering kit.

https://skyjacker.com/product.php?ProdID=35848
post #9 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 01:47 PM
Granite Guru

Here's the real deal. The JK is what it is, you can massage the edges, piss a bunch of money away, but the basic character isn't going to change.

If you are really unhappy with how it drives and want a big change, you need to dump it and buy an Explorer or some such unibody indy suspension SUV.

< '81 CJ7, Chev power. Leaf springs baby!

2016 JKU Sport
The good guys: Synergy, Artec, MetalCloak, MCE
- 2.5" MC coils, Synergy arms and drag link flip.
- 37" BFG MTs on 17x8.5 -6

2013 GC... 5.7(MILF command centre)
post #10 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 02:34 PM
Rock God

I'm curious why you would buy a jeep wrangler if you have no intentions of taking it off road? I wonder this every time I see one on the road...I can think of at least 10 vehicles in the price range of that sahara that I would much rather have as a daily driver.

2014 JKUR, 3.5" X Factor RK lift, 40" Nitto Trail Grappler's, RIPP supercharger and UD60s.
post #11 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 02:43 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronson View Post
Buy a Grand Cherokee!

Seriously I haved owned at least one of just about every solid axle Jeep out there and the JK 4 door is about the nicest street vehicle of them all other than maybe an older Grand Cherokee (when they still had solid axles). Not sure since that is one of the few I never owned.
The onroad quality of these Jeeps is a compromise for their offroad ability. Not much getting around that. That is why Consumer Reports and all of the other cupholder sniffers hate them so much.
People actually take their reviews seriously? Every single vehicle I have owned, they have been absolutely wrong about. I stopped reading that crap back in 2000.

NDTguy

2017 JKU Sport S
post #12 of 86 Old 04-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ndtguy View Post
People actually take their reviews seriously? Every single vehicle I have owned, they have been absolutely wrong about. I stopped reading that crap back in 2000.
Some people take them seriously... the type who probably shouldn't own a Wrangler.
Years ago they did a mountain bike review and discluded a couple because the front brakes worked well enough to possibly throw you over the handlebars. Heaven forbid your brakes work!
post #13 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by stretch79 View Post
I'm curious why you would buy a jeep wrangler if you have no intentions of taking it off road? I wonder this every time I see one on the road...I can think of at least 10 vehicles in the price range of that sahara that I would much rather have as a daily driver.
I've had 5 jeeps, not a huge offroader. Sure, I've taken them off road because I can (light trails, some mud here and there), but I didn't buy it for the purpose of going offroad, and many out there don't.

Jeeps are just a hell of a lot of fun to drive. You can't beat 75* day with the top and doors off.

And of course, when the zombie apocalypse finally does come, i can get places.

Life's hard. It's harder if you're stupid.
post #14 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:46 AM
Granite Guru

Put some miles on it before doing anything. Some time in the driver seat will give you a different perspective.
post #15 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 06:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Shocks IMO. 5100's, OME's, Rancho 9000's are all popular.

2007 JKR | PSC Big bore box | Rock Krawler 3.5" x-factor arms l SteerSmarts YETI track bar, tie rod, no drill flipped drag link, Griffin | Synergy frame brace | 37x12.5x17 Nitto RG's | Dana front DS | Fox IFP shocks | Artec front armor kit/Currie JJ's | Teraflex rear axle bracket | EVO Rockstars | Ridged D's, A pillar mounts | VKS sliders l Trek Armor seat covers | Superchips/Sprint booster | Savvy half doors w/ Bestop uppers
post #16 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 07:30 AM
JKO Dickhead

Garage

Quote:
Buy a Grand Cherokee!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post
Here's the real deal. The JK is what it is, you can massage the edges, piss a bunch of money away, but the basic character isn't going to change.

If you are really unhappy with how it drives and want a big change, you need to dump it and buy an Explorer or some such unibody indy suspension SUV.
Quote:

You are looking for a better handling, more responsive, more aerodynamic road vehicle, yet you own probably the worst vehicle in all three catergories.

These are things that we as Jeepers know come with the territory and the sacrifice for having a wrangler. Its a trade off for the the other stuff.

Seriously... Dump the JKU and get yorself a Mini Countryman.

Building a capable off road Jeep is easy...building a street legal one that you can drive two hours away to wheel and then drive to work the following morning is the challenge...
post #17 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 07:59 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

Quote:
How can i make this vehicle better on the freeway &amp; open road?? I most likely won't be doing off roading, since I live down town Toronto.
You don't need a jeep.........
Attached Images

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #18 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 09:12 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post

I was thinking Prius!
post #19 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 10:29 AM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
It's a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Model, 3.21 rear axle, it's stock, no mods made yet... It's really bad at cornering, it drags when braking. I just want the steering to be a bit more responsive, maybe a less shaky ride also. How can i also make it a bit faster??. What mods would i need??
Simple fixes for all those items:
It's really bad at cornering take the corners faster; lean in with your body
it drags when braking. stand on the brakes when you need to stop
I just want the steering to be a bit more responsive, turn sharper and faster
maybe a less shaky ride also. Drive on smoother roads
How can i also make it a bit faster??. Buy a pair of steel toe driving boots.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsack View Post
OKAY FUCKMOUTH.
post #20 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 12:13 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

If you read the original post it said " my parents bought it"
Quote:

post #21 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 12:20 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
If you read the original post it said " my parents bought it"
If you seriously have no interest in going off-roading, have 'em sell the Jeep and buy you this:

The Jeep Wrangler compromises all the things you say you want so that it can be a very competent offroad vehicle.
If you don't want or need a very competent offroad vehicle, bail on the Wrangler now.

EDIT: As previously stated (re-stated here) -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z-OR View Post

Quote:
The onroad quality of these Jeeps is a compromise for their offroad ability. Not much getting around that.
Quote:
...I can think of at least 10 vehicles in the price range of that sahara that I would much rather have as a daily driver.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asmmns View Post
You are looking for a better handling, more responsive, more aerodynamic road vehicle, yet you own probably the worst vehicle in all three catergories.

These are things that we as Jeepers know come with the territory and the sacrifice for having a wrangler. Its a trade off for the the other stuff.

Seriously... Dump the JKU and get yorself a Mini Countryman.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RubiCajun View Post
To summarize:

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
<-- Random crap you might find useful

Last edited by ExWrench; 04-27-2015 at 12:33 PM.
post #22 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 08:39 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Thanks for the alternative vehicle suggestions, but I prefer if people would just tell me how to make this vehicle better on road

post #23 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 09:28 PM
Random Dude

Quote:
Thanks for the alternative vehicle suggestions, but I prefer if people would just tell me how to make this vehicle better on road
OK, here goes:
Quote:
It's a 2015 Wrangler Unlimited Sahara Model,
3.21 rear axle
Re-gear to 4.10, 4.56, 4.88, or 5.13 $600 to $2K depending on how much you do yourself.
It's really bad at cornering
IFS conversion $5K to $100K depending on how much you do yourself.
IRS conversion $5K to $100K depending on how much you do yourself.

it drags when braking
Big brake setups front and rear $1K to $5Kdepending on what you want to accomplish
I just want the steering to be a bit more responsive
The IFS conversion oughtta' cover it, so this one's free

maybe a less shaky ride also
The IFS and IRS conversion oughtta' cover it, so this one's free

How can i also make it a bit faster??.
Hemi or LS V8 swap ~$6K to $30K depending on how much you do yourself.
OR
Supercharger $2K to $10K depending on new/used, options, installation
OR
Re-gear to (let's say 4.88) $600 to $2K depending on how much you do yourself.
AND
Programmer (e.g., Superchips or similar) for small, somewhat noticeable gains

What mods would i need??
Those are hip-shot numbers I'm not taking the time to look up but, with enough money, you can change everything.

If your budget is under $10,000, probably re-gear, buy a tuner, lower your Jeep (this hurts to type), and get street tires.
Put car shocks on, maybe car springs, big brake kit . . .
. . . but it's still going to be a body-on-frame, solid-axle vehicle. Expect truck-like handling.
You can make it a sharp axe, but don't expect it to be a scalpel without changing everything.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #24 of 86 Old 04-27-2015, 10:36 PM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:

In essence, what you're asking here is, "How can I make my plow horse into a race horse?" The answer is, "Trade it for a race horse." Seriously. The advice people are giving you is sound. You have three options:

1) live with it and learn to appreciate it for what it is (kinda like an arranged marriage.)

2) spend a BUNCH of money trying to make it what it's not and still never be happy with it. (Probably a marriage analogy there too, but I'm not going there.)

3) trade it in for what you really want. (DEFINITELY not going for the marriage analogy there!)

The fundamental flaw for too many people is thinking of a Wrangler as a street vehicle. It's not. It's an off-road vehicle that's streetable. If that's not your thing, then go get something that is.

My Build Thread:

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
post #25 of 86 Old 04-28-2015, 01:50 AM

And here I was thinking it is fast, it does corner good and it does drive smooth.

I think I'm just use to older jeeps, in comparison to my last jeeps this one is a fucking race car!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode