When to apply SuperChips Updates? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 11:59 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

When to apply SuperChips Updates?

For all you with a Superchips for their JK, when do you know when to apply an update?

For example, I am home today a little bored, plugged in my Superchips and ran the updater, and it came up with the following:

Firmware was up to date.
DTCs were up to date.
Diesel database was up to date.
Car database was up to date.
Gas Truck database was updated from version 373 to 386.

Which update would indicate it is time to plug the programmer back into the Jeep for any applicable update? Does the Jeep fall under the "Gas Truck" and if so, does that indicate some new programming for the JK itself, or just some other list was updated?

Grant

Last edited by Grant_T; 03-29-2010 at 12:01 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 03-29-2010, 12:21 PM
Wheeler

I am pretty sure the JK falls in the Gas Truck database and not the Car database. I'd plug it into the JK and re-tune it just to make sure.
post #3 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 05:21 PM
Wheeler

I am sure there are posts about this somewhere But how do you like that superchips programmer? Did you and do you still feel it was worth the cost. Does it really make a difference in your jeep? I am about to drop the cash and get one but I want to here your opinion on it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 05:47 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMJEEPJK View Post
I am sure there are posts about this somewhere But how do you like that superchips programmer? Did you and do you still feel it was worth the cost. Does it really make a difference in your jeep? I am about to drop the cash and get one but I want to here your opinion on it!
I'll comment if you don't mind. We run the 93 octane tune on our '08 6spd and it made quite a difference, especially considering we are still running 4.10's with 37's.(waiting to do CV axles and gears all at the same time) Gas mileage is in the 15.5-16+ range with mainly in city driving. Worth every penny in our opinion. Clueless as to the update thing though Grant_T

Jeepless until:.....:....
post #5 of 14 Old 03-30-2010, 06:31 PM
Granite Guru

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by makemeknowit View Post
We run the 93 octane tune on our '08 6spd and it made quite a difference, especially considering we are still running 4.10's with 37's.(waiting to do CV axles and gears all at the same time) Gas mileage is in the 15.5-16+ range with mainly in city driving. Worth every penny in our opinion.
x2. Exact same results. After I went to 35s, my mileage suffered. But I got back 3.5mpg with the SC, reprogrammed the speedo (which according to the local school zone, is dead on now) and got better power.

As far as the updates, guys I know just plug the thing in once a week to check and if anything updates, plug it into the Jeep.

tehiv
'14 Copperhead JKUR
'14 White WK2 Overland

formerly: 98 TJ | 97 XJ | 05 TJ | 01 WJ | 07 JKU
post #6 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 08:02 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Did you and do you still feel it was worth the cost. Does it really make a difference in your jeep? I am about to drop the cash and get one but I want to here your opinion on it!
Biggest complaint: I have a 6 speed, and I find that in 1st and 2nd gear at "parking lot" speeds, it is a bit "lurchy"....the throttle map at the low end needs to be softened/smoothed out a bit. Seems the throttle goes from ZERO to 10% with no 2-9% in between, but other than that, I think it was worth it.

I am running the 87 octane tune right now, and there was a definite power boost. Tried the 91 as well and liked it, but it did not seem to be as big a jump as from stock to 87. Now that the nice weather is coming, I will experiment some more.

Segway to gasoline....does anyone have any knowledge with the "cleaning" gasolines? One of the reasons I would pay more for the 91 octane fuel around here is they supposedly have extra detergents, cleaning additives, "Nitrogen" enriched etc etc. Is that just a load of crap or does running the higher octane gas possibly help the fuel system?

Grant
post #7 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 03:19 PM
Granite Guru

I usually plug mine in every couple of months to check for updates. I'm still very happy with the SC.

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy"
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ben Franklin
post #8 of 14 Old 03-31-2010, 05:41 PM
Rock God

Garage

how do u do the updates??? does the superchips plug into ur pc and the update then u go plug it into the jeep???

and if u need a warrenty issue fix can u bring the jeep back to stock, and if u can bring it to stock...can the dealer find out if you have been using a superchip??

09 4dr rubi-3" teraflex-35x12.50 km2s-17" xd addicts-kc 100 watt slimlights on kc brackets-riddlers-S.B.S. plug-orfab e-disco skid-Rugged Ridge stubby stinger-xrc-10 comp-Finishlinewest Gen 4.0!
post #9 of 14 Old 09-24-2010, 10:19 PM
Wheeler

Here's what we know now....

Programmer....Good, u can feel it.

Programmer + Sprintbooster WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can definately feel it, lot o money but worth it!
post #10 of 14 Old 09-25-2010, 07:17 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
I have one and it makes a differnce!!!
post #11 of 14 Old 09-25-2010, 07:25 AM
JKO Addict!

I am running 35", with 4:10s, and I recommend the superchip tuner. Yes you can feel the difference. I update about every 3 months just to check. In my mind saving a few miles per gallon for the price will pay off in the long run, + you get a little extra power.
post #12 of 14 Old 09-25-2010, 09:24 AM
Rock God

Garage

I update my Flashpaq once a month and retune. There's always an update to be downloaded.

Running 35's with stock Rubi 4.10 gears and the 93 tune, getting about 15MPG with a lot of hills and rush hour stop-n-go. Going out to Rausch for the first time since putting on 35's later today, so I'll see if that improves with long highway driving.

I've said it before, of all the performance mods I made, Superchips made the biggest improvement.

And yes, always return the vehicle to stock programming before bringing it to the dealer. If for no other reason, if they reflash your Jeep while programmed you'll have to pay Superchips $100 to unlock the programmer to retune.

I'm a JKO Reject
post #13 of 14 Old 09-25-2010, 10:39 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by BumpInTheRoad View Post
Going out to Rausch for the first time since putting on 35's later today, so I'll see if that improves with long highway driving.

We got 18mpg on a 376 mile (one way) trip w/37's and 4.10's and that was not using 6th because it's useless until we regear.

And yes, always return the vehicle to stock programming before bringing it to the dealer. If for no other reason, if they reflash your Jeep while programmed you'll have to pay Superchips $100 to unlock the programmer to retune.

I'm not clear on this. We had ours in for a new throttle pedal after it threw a P2167 code and I didn't return it to stock before taking it in. They returned everything to stock status during the repair and as soon as I drove off the lot I plugged up and put the 93 octane tune back in and recal'ed for the tires, no 100.00 unlock required.

Jeepless until:.....:....
post #14 of 14 Old 09-26-2010, 02:19 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant_T View Post
Biggest complaint: I have a 6 speed, and I find that in 1st and 2nd gear at "parking lot" speeds, it is a bit "lurchy"....the throttle map at the low end needs to be softened/smoothed out a bit. Seems the throttle goes from ZERO to 10% with no 2-9% in between, but other than that, I think it was worth it.
the new update fixes the "lurchy" gas pedal

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode