Let's see your JK trail tool storage! - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Let's see your JK trail tool storage!

Pretty self explanatory i guess, let's see everyones trail tool storage setup!

I currently use a 16" metal Craftsman tool box strapped down with my spare (no back seats in JKU).

The latch got mangled recently so it's time to find a new tool box, but I'm really leaning towards using a tool bag instead of a box. I'm curious what everyone else is running

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 07:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Interested as well, mine are tossed in a leather bag I won here. Would definitely like something more organized.

2010 Mango 2dr 6spd Rubicon
PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #3 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 07:25 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

My tools ride in a Pelican Case now (I think it's a 1520). Keeps them clean and dry till needed. Used to keep them in a zip top tool bag, but when it got wet, so did everything inside. Got tired of having to go through everything to make sure it worked. The Pelican also makes it easier to find things in.

Kevin

Last edited by gt1guy; 04-23-2015 at 07:34 PM. Reason: added case #
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
My tools ride in a Pelican Case now (I think it's a 1520). Keeps them clean and dry till needed. Used to keep them in a zip top tool bag, but when it got wet, so did everything inside. Got tired of having to go through everything to make sure it worked. The Pelican also makes it easier to find things in.

Kevin
that's an expensive option for sure.

organization isnt too big of an issue for me. i'm going to end up using these to separate all the little stuff (sockets, wrenches, etc). i use those for work and i love them.

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK

Last edited by chknkatsu; 04-23-2015 at 07:39 PM.
post #5 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 07:52 PM
Rock God

Garage

Not the most complete kit, but I keep mine in a couple of Bucket Boss tool rolls. End wrenches and ratchets/sockets in one, pliers, screwdrivers, hex wrenches, etc., in the other. It's compact, quiet, and organized so I don't have to fumble through things when I need something. I don't try to carry a full set of wrenches, sockets, etc, just the ones I know are used on my rig. I've been through the 200 lb. tool chest thing, and not going back. I also will throw in my Dewalt cordless bag with the drill, sawzall, and 1/4" impact driver and necessary accessories.

My Build Thread:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I'm the NRA
JOIN HERE:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 08:18 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post

organization isnt too big of an issue for me. i'm going to end up using these to separate all the little stuff (sockets, wrenches, etc). i use those for work and i love them.

I have about 10 of them in various sizes. Got them from work for nothing. The only Pelican cases I've paid for hold guns.

Kevin
post #7 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 09:20 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by chknkatsu View Post

This is a great idea, use these at work also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gt1guy View Post
I have about 10 of them in various sizes. Got them from work for nothing. The only Pelican cases I've paid for hold guns.

Kevin
You get them for nothing you say, help a guy out!!!

PSC BFH front and rear, Warn 9.5cti with viking synth line, Rigid duallys, RROR full skid,
RK 2.5 max travel pro with RRDs, 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, Tera 44 front, Tera 60 rear with 4.88s
post #8 of 43 Old 04-23-2015, 09:37 PM
Granite Guru

I use two 8 gallon action packers, one holds tools, the other fluids, spare parts, misc items. These are held down with swag offroad baja bins. The setup is mounted on a removable plate. If needed, it can be quickly removed and replaced with the back seat.

post #9 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 03:52 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodriquez View Post
I use two 8 gallon action packers, one holds tools, the other fluids, spare parts, misc items. These are held down with swag offroad baja bins. The setup is mounted on a removable plate. If needed, it can be quickly removed and replaced with the back seat.

damn...thats a lot of stuff. definitely a cool set up.

im torn between a tool bag and another tool box. i figured a tool bag would be more versatile especially when it comes to strapping down.

Last edited by chknkatsu; 04-24-2015 at 04:49 AM.
post #10 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 05:11 AM
Random Dude

Tools ride in the jumbo tool bag in the foreground. Smaller bags each for winch stuff, air stuff, snatch strap, drag chain, survival crap.
Ridiculously large tool bag (not stuffed) is needed for long shit like breaker bar, pry bar, machete, hatchet, and Sven saw.

One of the 3 ammo cans is usually there, holding oils and brake fluid. Doubles as chair, step-stool, drained fluid container.
The other 2 cans are optional depending on the trip; carrying parts, coolant / water, rags, towels, jumbo zip ties, and random crap.
EVA foam pad immobilizes / de-rattles ammo cans and Tuffy deck lid, and doubles as a kneeling pad.

If in a hurry on the trail, I just huck it all in this area and let the Tuffy storage deck keep assets from becoming ballistic liabilities.

Small Action Packer sometimes rides on lid of Tuffy deck, holding water bottles, blankets, and other comfort and survival items.

First Aid kit lives in zippered driver's seat-back pouch (Mastercraft seats). Maps and books (powerful tools) ride behind passenger.

Shovel lives on tire swing.

Hi-Lift rides in vertical receiver on rear bumper.

PLEASE BUY AMERICAN SO I DON'T HAVE TO LEARN CHINESE
-The 4th little pig made his house of reinforced concrete, with wolfskin rugs in every room-

<-- Random crap you might find useful
post #11 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 07:23 AM
Rock God

I use two tool bags. Dont really like it as said already it sucks when they get wet but I havent found a better solution.
post #12 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 07:54 AM
Rock God

I have a Rigid tool box that rides between the back seat and the door. It is a very tight fit. As in, it needs to be in the right spot so that it will fit, tight, and I doubt it will come out in the event of some stupid jeep trick. I have a tool roll, a socket set, in its original container, recovery gear in its bag, an electric impact wrench, and a full set of impact sockets in the box. I also have a first aid kit outside of the box, and a tow strap that may make it there, some day. I haven't needed to open it yet, so I will see where it ends up after it is opened.
I have my HiLift jack mounted high on on the roll bar behind the back seat with Muffler clamps. IT took a little positioning to get it where someone wouldn't bump there head. I have sons that are 6'4", and when they are punished by sitting in the back seat because my wife is coming, they haven't complained. I don't know if smelling salts to get them out of the back seat had something to do with that... (I kid, they really don't bump their head.)
Zombie apocalypse rations are stored in the recessed compartment in the back, along with some water, and a foldable shovel. Without looking, I think that is all I have in there. I am at work and drove my truck in today. It is outfitted fairly well, too.
post #13 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 08:48 AM
Granite Guru

Work in progress...

I got the dual battery tray cheap and then realized I don't really want dual batteries. I plan to carry a spare in the tray on longer trips but I doubt I will ever have them hard wired.
I plan to use these just for the basic small hand tools. I put long skinny tools in the sandbags that I carry to keep them from rattling and put them in the rear storage compartment with the winch controller, folding shovel, etc...
Since I do a lot of higher speed desert roads I prefer to keep things secure and out of the cab area in case of an accident.
I hate to admit this but I also can choose who I share my tools with if they are out of sight.
post #14 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 09:13 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRodriquez View Post

Nice setup. Just checked out the Swag website.
I use two similar boxes and just strap them down but they don't fit as well in the JK as they did in the TJ. There is clearly more room in the JK, the size of the boxes just aren't as ideal for the JK.

Did you make the tray yourself? Post more pics if you can...
I would like to build one that locks into the rear seat mechanism. If it is good enough for two passengers it should be plenty strong for the stuff I carry.
post #15 of 43 Old 04-24-2015, 03:01 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
[COLOR="Lime"]
One of the 3 ammo cans is usually there, holding oils and brake fluid. Doubles as chair, step-stool, drained fluid container.
The other 2 cans are optional depending on the trip; carrying parts, coolant / water, rags, towels, jumbo zip ties, and random crap.
EVA foam pad immobilizes / de-rattles ammo cans and Tuffy deck lid, and doubles as a kneeling pad.
Big fan of the multi purpose of the ammo cans, Ill have to look into these for sure!

post #16 of 43 Old 04-25-2015, 05:06 AM

I keep my recovery tools in this SOG bag I got from Wal Mart

and my wheeling tools just go into a heavy duty multi-compartment zip up tool back pack. Ends up weighting about 80 lbs when I load it up
post #17 of 43 Old 04-26-2015, 07:24 PM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Mac's trunk drawer in the back of the Limo.

post #18 of 43 Old 04-26-2015, 07:56 PM
Granite Guru

Nothing to special but it works great.

Holds, First aid kit, 2 fire extinguishers, 50' air hose, jumper cables, bungee cords, 4 way, tire inflator gauge, small ax, recover gear bag, 200 piece craftsman tool kit.

Contents of the gear bag: (with the exception of the hook)
post #19 of 43 Old 04-26-2015, 07:59 PM
Wheeler

I have a few pelican boxes that I will be using for storage. I love the idea of the ammo boxes in the dual battery tray. I've got a few ammo boxes. I'm going to steal this idea. My worry is leaving the Jeep, and coming back to an empty vehicle.
post #20 of 43 Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I use a plastic home depot tub that has a top that clips on it. The top rotates up and it is fairly useful. I keep it strapped down with a ratchet strap.

I still have to have bags in there though to keep things reasonably organized.

I have been looking around forever at a betters solution. I would like some type of hard/steel container with slide outs so that whatever I strap on top doesn't have to come off every time I want to get in it.

some good ideas in this thread so far

TC
Crawling For Reid March 23, 2019 Adventure OffRoad Park

post #21 of 43 Old 04-28-2015, 09:51 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
Mac's trunk drawer in the back of the Limo.

this looks sharp!

I'll google it but do you have width? Curious if it would fit between my two C pillar tubes that come down to the tub behind the back seat.

TC

post #22 of 43 Old 04-28-2015, 09:59 AM
Granite Guru

Location: Cave Creek, AZ to Fayetteville, AR, back to Scottsdale, AZ

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCdawg View Post
this looks sharp!

I'll google it but do you have width? Curious if it would fit between my two C pillar tubes that come down to the tub behind the back seat.
Thanks. It isn't cheap, but gives me the space I need and more importantly the security when the top is off.
Here's the link with the dimensions:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...JK-storage-box

I waited on a 10% off promo and ordered through Northridge4x4 so it lessened the pain a little bit.
post #23 of 43 Old 04-28-2015, 10:10 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBreeze View Post
Thanks. It isn't cheap, but gives me the space I need and more importantly the security when the top is off.
Here's the link with the dimensions:
http://www.macscustomtiedowns.com/pr...JK-storage-box

I waited on a 10% off promo and ordered through Northridge4x4 so it lessened the pain a little bit.
thanks

TC

post #24 of 43 Old 04-28-2015, 12:59 PM
JKowners Vendor

Garage

I went with this option, the ARB drawer set up.
I can fit a fair amount of gear in here.

Going to figure out a quick way to install these:

post #25 of 43 Old 08-11-2015, 06:05 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

bringing the thread back from the dead. finally remembered to get a picture of my trail tool set up.

got rid of the metal craftman box and went with a husky bag

MISHIMOTO IS JUNK
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode