Oil choice - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 07:35 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Oil choice

I'm a little peeved right now at my local auto parts store. Yesterday I did an oil change on the JK and the engine calls for 5w-20. I bought a case of standard valvoline oil, 5w-20. AFTER I put in all the new oil, the bottles actually said 5w-30. I guess I should be mad at the parts store but rather valvoline.

My question is, does this really matter? Having 5w30 instead of 5w20? I've never put much thought into it and I'm trying to think with my dipstick, jimmy.

Sent Via Zip Line Messenger
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 08:28 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

You should be fine, especially since its spring time.

I use Mobile 1. I really run my little minivan engine hard on the dusty California trails, so I spend a little extra $ for a decent synthetic. Man that little engine holds a lot of oil (6 quarts)!
post #3 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

I'm not an oil expert but I was assuming the main difference would be related to outside temps so yeah, I'm lucky it is getting warmer. Shoot...we may even hit 80 degrees here this week!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 08:40 AM
JKO Addict!

You'll be fine - I always run 5w-30 in mine. Figure it helps on those hot, dusty trail days where you're crawling for miles without much air flow. Plus, my hot-start valvetrain noise went away when I switched to the 5w-30. It was noisy on 5w-20 becuase it's so thin it just drains back immediately and without clinging much. I think these engines run they way they are supposed to on 5w-30 - 5w-20 is probably factory specd fill to eek a little extra gas mileage outta them.

A society that puts equality before freedom will get neither. A society that puts freedom before equality will get a high degree of both.
-Milton Friedman
post #5 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 08:43 AM
Rock God

Garage

^ I agree.

The recommended oil and viscosity is just that.

A lot of people use different (other than recommended) oils and viscosities based on their driving habbits, age of the vehicle, the climate they live in etc..

I Freakin' Love My JEEP!! Hey, you in the Hummer..
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I Love and Miss You Brodude..RIP.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ynkedad; 03-29-2010 at 08:46 AM.
post #6 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 08:47 AM
JKO Addict!

I generally go 5w30 because i cant ever find the 5qt jugs of 5w20 in mobile 1 variety.

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #7 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 09:21 AM
Rock God

Huh...my manual says 5w-30...maybe I am special...
post #8 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've run both with no problems. I'm actually thinking of switching to 10W-30. From what I hear 10W-30 still provides the best coverage, but manufacturers recommend the thinner oil so they can claim better mpg.

No expert here, just a conspiracy theorists.
post #9 of 16 Old 03-29-2010, 10:13 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Yep, in Bakersfield, I run the 10W-30 all summer (of course, its 100+ degrees here all summer). I run the 5W-30 in the winter (because its freezing here in the winter and I do alot of snow runs).

Mobile 1 is good stuff at a pretty decent price.
post #10 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 06:57 AM
Granite Guru

Shouldn't it be the other way around? 10w in winter, thicker and holds heat, and 5w in summer, which is thinner and dissipates heat. I'm in NC and run 10w all year.
post #11 of 16 Old 03-30-2010, 08:16 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimb66 View Post
Shouldn't it be the other way around? 10w in winter, thicker and holds heat, and 5w in summer, which is thinner and dissipates heat. I'm in NC and run 10w all year.
Nope, thicker oil in the winter is a very bad idea because it will not flow as well, therfore providing less lubrication and more work for the engine to cycle it (which in turn gives poor gas mileage). Most modern engines with roller cams need thinner oils than those used in the past. Thick oil in cold conditions also causes engine wear during start-ups. Most vehicle manufactures recommend 10W-30 for summer driving conditions in warmer climates. My Toyota and GMC owners manuals recomend a thicker oil for high temps and towing.

Too thin of an oil can be bad too, especially in very hot places, high RPM off-roading, and towing. This is why I go one grade thicker in the summer.

Honestly though, with modern multi-grade oil, especially the synthetic stuff, 99% people are perfectly fine with 5W-20 all year. But some of us are out in the hot desert in 4Lo trying to run up hills at 4000 RPMs with 37" tires and a heavy Jeep- a little bit thicker oil won't hurt.
post #12 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 07:08 AM
Granite Guru

first off i have found this thread very helpful but a little confusing at the same time, and i don't mean to hijack someones thread but add to it, and make sure i am and maybe others who haven't post are on the right track, the manuel says to run 5w20 year round, but it seems in hotter climates, moderate modifications and especialy when doing alot of off-roading it might be better to run the 10w30, so then would you go back to the 5w20 or 5w30 in the winter. i just moved to texas and from what i hear the summers get extremly hot and i don't want to make the wrong decision. thanks
post #13 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 07:23 AM
Comfortably Numb

Garage

I've used the purple stuff ever since my first oil change. Change regularly at 3000 to 3500 miles.

08 Rubi Unlimited named Freebird

Quote:
Originally Posted by StubEXrube View Post
Cat killing would almost certainly decline if we were allowed to hunt liberals.
Asylum media group llc all rights reserved 2015
post #14 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 AM
JKO Addict!

My mechanic and good friend recommended 10w30 especially since I have an Avenger SC
post #15 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 07:50 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
first off i have found this thread very helpful but a little confusing at the same time, and i don't mean to hijack someones thread but add to it, and make sure i am and maybe others who haven't post are on the right track, the manuel says to run 5w20 year round, but it seems in hotter climates, moderate modifications and especialy when doing alot of off-roading it might be better to run the 10w30, so then would you go back to the 5w20 or 5w30 in the winter. i just moved to texas and from what i hear the summers get extremly hot and i don't want to make the wrong decision. thanks
You are going to be changing it at 3-5K miles / 6 month intervals anyway, so its not hard to determine what the weather will be like between oil changes.

And never just go by mileage to guage when you need an oil change, check it regularly. I did an oil change last year, put in about 1,000 miles in Baja right after, and my oil was toast a week and a half later. Check the dipstick regularly, if the oil has a burnt smell or is very dark in color its time for an oil change regardless of how many miles you drove. Off-road driving kills oil fast.
post #16 of 16 Old 04-02-2010, 07:53 AM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert dog View Post
Check the dipstick regularly, if the oil has a burnt smell or is very dark in color its time for an oil change regardless of how many miles you drove. Off-road driving kills oil fast.
I have always checked the dip stick at every gas fill up. However, lately when I fill up the gas overflows so I have to stand next to the pump to make sure I don't lose a gallon of gas everytime I fill up.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode