Ring Failures in JK's? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Ring Failures in JK's?

Just an FYI....just regurgitating. I have nothing actually meaningful to add...

http://edmontonjeep.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=42&t=9062

Grant
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 05:59 PM
Granite Guru

Well isn't this an incredibly wonderful development.
I hate the 3.8L. If mine blows up I will tow it right through the glass of the dealership while it is on fire.
post #3 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 06:23 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

If my engine goes, I might go find a HEMI and do the swap..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Granite Guru

How about you check your oil! I am willing to bet theres more to this story.

[x] 4in la lift [x] 37in Pro comp E/MT tires [x] eagle 17in 101 wheels [x] super chips [x] ORE outlaw rear fenders [x] ORE C gussets [x] ORE magnum 44 sleeves[x] 5.38 gears
[x] RR front bumper [x] xrc 8000lb winch [x] home brew cage [x] RR front bumper [x] home brew rear bumper [x] home brew front grill guard [x] home brew tube fenders
[x] home brew rubi sliders[ ] red neck ram[ ] 2in bb[ ] 40s
post #5 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 07:34 PM
JKO Addict!

I'm with Tank. ^
post #6 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 07:57 PM
Wheeler

This brings up something I've wondered about. I bought my JK almost exactly one year ago (3/31/2009) at the height of the economic crisis. One of the perks they were offering was a lifetime warranty on the drive train. They pretty much covers anything in the engine, attached to the engine block, in the tranny, four wheel, etc. How many of you have the lifetime warranty? Opinions on it? It doesn't seem to be offered anymore. Don't know why I would ever sell my JK....
post #7 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 08:50 PM
JKO Addict!

Send a message via Yahoo to rob4607

Hell with it, let it blow 8 have the lifetime warranty and jeeps been doing all the oil changes, maybe the next engine will accidently have some power. It still sucks none the less for those that don't and for those of us that do that will get ducked out of it because of some dumbass reason that they pull out of their ass. I told my inlaws and friends this will be the last US made vehicle that I will buy. The only thing that I would get another American made would be another 3500 dodge cummins diesel. And the only reason is the rest of the truck will fall apart around the cummins. There may be a ton of ford and chevy lovers and I'm happy for y'all but have seen way too many of them all years in my buddies shop with stupid ass issues. And fiat doesn't count... I whish we could get the Toyota hilux's those old Toyota diesel 4x4's were bulletproof.
post #8 of 48 Old 03-28-2010, 08:52 PM
JKO Addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by officer_vince View Post
Well isn't this an incredibly wonderful development.
I hate the 3.8L. If mine blows up I will tow it right through the glass of the dealership while it is on fire.
I would have already done this but Chrysler was faster with the thought and convieniently closed my dealership...
post #9 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 11:22 AM
Granite Guru

We had the same issue last year with our service trucks here at my work. Also in Edmonton, thinking it may be the same dealer. The story is very simmular the only diffrence is instead of JK's we run the Ram 3500 series with diesels. we lost 3 service trucks due to ring failure all in the same week. Turned out the DEALER didn't close the airbox completly at the last service 'dusting' all three engines, no low oil lights either!!

Mike B

08' Jeep Wrangler
08' Dodge Avenger SXT (winter beater)
64' Plymouth Sport Fury(sold)
58' Triumph TR-3A(in 1,000,000 pieces)
post #10 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 12:06 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ_and_Corey (post #7 in that thread)
Yes, anyone who is reading this - start checking your JK's oil ALL THE TIME

there are two theories starting to emerge:

1) The emissions circuit, EGR, etc is "pulling"oil into the intake

and

2) The rings are allowing oil to bypass

People are starting to reporting 1-2 litres low at oil change intervals.....
We have 60k miles on our '08 and it seems to lose about 1/2-1 qt between changes if I push it to 5k mi intervals. I recently cleaned the throttle body and with the butterfly open was kind of surprised just how much was in the upper intake.

Planning to check and replace the PCV valve just in case.

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #11 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 12:22 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts43035 View Post
This brings up something I've wondered about. I bought my JK almost exactly one year ago (3/31/2009) at the height of the economic crisis. One of the perks they were offering was a lifetime warranty on the drive train. They pretty much covers anything in the engine, attached to the engine block, in the tranny, four wheel, etc. How many of you have the lifetime warranty? Opinions on it? It doesn't seem to be offered anymore. Don't know why I would ever sell my JK....
I have lifetime and lifetime max care service contract.
We will always have our Jeep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
We have 60k miles on our '08 and it seems to lose about 1/2-1 qt between changes if I push it to 5k mi intervals. I recently cleaned the throttle body and with the butterfly open was kind of surprised just how much was in the upper intake.

Planning to check and replace the PCV valve just in case.
Check your PCV valve.
I change mine religiously at 3000 with syn oil and has never been low.

'09 4dr Rubi Detonator Yellow
35x12.5x17 BFG KM2s they SUCK!
Rugged Ridge XHD bumper Warn 9.5ti
3.5 Mid arm Rock Krawler
Finally 5.13s
post #12 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 01:08 PM
Granite Guru

I change my oil myself every 5,000kms and keep all the reciepts as documentation.
I got a 100,000kms warranty on my powertrain.
I am on top of my maintenance though. I only have 45,000kms on it and I have done both diffs, the t-case, and the transmission oils. This spring I am planning on new plugs/wires and cleaning out the intake.
An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.
Let them try to tell me I didn't maintain it properly so I can bury them in documentation
post #13 of 48 Old 03-29-2010, 01:24 PM
Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
I have lifetime and lifetime max care service contract.
We will always have our Jeep.

Check your PCV valve.
I change mine religiously at 3000 with syn oil and has never been low.
Youll Always have your jeep till they tell you those big 35 inch tires put to much stress on your engine and your warranty is voided. They are like Cops, there is always a reason to pull you over, and there is always a reason your lift and tires voided your warranty.
post #14 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 04:46 AM
Wheeler

im just going to install a oil pressure gauge!

2007 jeep jk unlimited 4"lift kumho ventures mt, procomp rims, 2009 cummins mega cab 6" lift 37's nittos mud,2003 h2 duramax 37" nitto mud,1993 h1 cummins conversion 42" irocks! Lots of street rods!
post #15 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 12:16 PM
Rock God

Garage

Newer and better fucntioning cats can completly clear the oil smoke while burning a friggin pans worth of oil????????? They just used shitty oil, never changed it or checked it. And complained about getting 100k+ out of em. I love my 3.8. Most oil lights come on too late, if the oil light came on....you scored up something.

Rock Krawler . Bilstein . BFG . HiLift . Aeroforce . BnM . Mobil1 . Mopar . Viair

Ragga Fucking Jungle
post #16 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 12:45 PM
Rock God

According to Chrysler it's normal to burn 1qt of oil per 1k miles. I check my oil about every 500. At 1k it's about 2/3 of a quart low. I'm not saying that's normal, but it's very concerning if you don't check your oil.

Last edited by WeGo4x4; 03-30-2010 at 10:18 PM. Reason: Damn typos
post #17 of 48 Old 03-30-2010, 12:58 PM
JKO Addict!

Burning oil 1qt - 1.5qt is fairly common. There are a couple of threads about it and I've talked to numerous owners that notice it. Mine does it. Guaranteed at 2500 miles into the oil change I'll be down a quart.

Add oil, continue on.
post #18 of 48 Old 04-27-2010, 06:03 PM
Wheeler

oil

check for a tsb of oil leaking out of front timing chain cover, could be the problem
post #19 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 04:53 AM
Rock God

Garage

I have 60 000 km and I do lose a good quart every 5-7000 km...

My 2000 Sunfire with 198 000 km is still full at oil change, every ~10 000 km.
2.2 Ecotec
post #20 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 05:23 AM
JKO Addict!

my wife's Toyota Solara '04 has 60k miles on it and does a 110 mile round trip 5 days a week to downtown Houston so a ton of stop and go traffic, it is still barely over the FULL mark and we needed to get the oil changes 1327 miles ago, my jk has 39k on it and i am 20 miles over for an oil change (going today) I had to put two quarts in it just to be able to take it in, maybe instead of changing the oil I should just start changing the filter and a quart every week or so as it needs it like my grand dads 78 ford truck with 238k on a 460 that drank propane like it was lemonade on the 4th of July! freakin' crap American made vehicles.

I'm sort of glad that I got the lifetime power train warranty, but I don't see it covering the burnt up engine since when I asked about it to the service manager he stated that it is our responsibility to maintain fluid levels. Well hell if I knew I was going to be under the damn hood this much i sure in the hell wouldnt have bought the damn thing in the first place! the cummins drinking vegetable oil that I screwed up trading for this thing didnt burn any oil and this thing shouldn't either. I may call the chrysler complaint line just so I can have it on the record that my jk burns this much oil in case i have to go down that road.

sorry morning vent/rant over, bad mood already this morning because I have to go to the dealer to water test my top that they made leak by replacing all the seals when I told them not to and to only replace the foam pads that were either missing or worn out. The retards replaces all the rubber seals except the front one on the windshield so the freedom tops sit like a 70's pick up all jacked up high in the back, I had to use a rag and a pair of channel locks to loosen the freedom top bolts, no damage thank god. But they are trying to say the front w.s one was replaced (It now has the famous leak over the radio) and I swore to him it wasn't because when I noticed the leak a few days after their work from rain i removed the panels and 303'd the heck out of them and the w.s. rubber had old dirt/dust build up that took a ton of rubbing to get out and the fact that the 3 indentions were at both latch points in the rubber seal from the soft top. So that will be the war today at the dealer. Get this of all freaking things i had to put the soft top on so the water would stop leaking over the radio!
So know I finally have the hard top back on and going in to be violated, sorry for the long vent thank you and have a wonderful day!

2008 JK 4Dr Rubicon
Stone white
Mygig W/Uconnect working.
Hard top/Auto tranny
First mod, dog slobber.
Painted hard top
Spidertraxx 1.5 spacers
Teraflex 3" lift
Currie front lower control arms
JKS front and rear adj. track bars
Euroefx HID kit, high/low beam and fogs
Shrockworks rear full width, tire carrier

Post count from the "other" place when i was following the "herd" was 692 on 4-2-09, not a noob...

post #21 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 05:28 AM
Rock God

Garage

Maybe I'm just lucky, but thus far I see no signifcant oil loss between changes. I use synth (Pennzoil Platinum or Mobile 1), the Mopar filter, and go at about a 5K mile change interval. 33K miles on it so far.

2007 Redrock X two door
Auto
Hardtop
D44 rear
17" Moab wheels
32" BFG M/Ts
Rubicon Rock Rails
Airaid intake
Infinity speakers
post #22 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 05:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to benmar2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by pearl-drum-man View Post
Maybe I'm just lucky, but thus far I see no signifcant oil loss between changes. I use synth (Pennzoil Platinum or Mobile 1), the Mopar filter, and go at about a 5K mile change interval. 33K miles on it so far.
Mine has 31K miles and not a single drop.. I am starting to think these engines are a crap shoot.. Some are good.. Some are bad..

Vote - Bacon for 2012!!!
Power to the People!!! Time for a Revolution!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcy View Post
roll, roll, roll your joint, twist is at the end, light it up and take a puff now pass it to a friend.
post #23 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 06:17 AM
Rock God

pretty common problem using oil. I've only put 5k miles on mine in almost a year, so I've only done one change. I had to add about a quart somewhere around 2k miles. Mine actually seems to be doing better with the mobil 1 oil and filter that I'm using now. The jeep only has 23k on it.

LJ Rubicon
post #24 of 48 Old 04-28-2010, 07:54 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Just did my oil last weekend. Because of my driving requirements (lots of very short trips, lots of starts/stops, and little time for my engine to warm up completely), I change my oil more often than recommended. I also put on very FEW km (miles) per year. I will have my Jeep 1 year this August and have only put on 8000km so far.

Changed the factory oil out at 4000km (2500miles) to Castrol Syntec (the only synthetic the dealer had - $100 oil change), and just changed to Royal Purple at 8000km (5000miles) Did this change myself...oil + filter = $60. Have never been down any noticeable amount on the dip stick.

G

Last edited by Grant_T; 04-28-2010 at 07:57 AM.
post #25 of 48 Old 05-12-2010, 09:26 AM
Granite Guru

So I changed my oil last week. since I had 4K miles on it since last time I usually change every 3K and only got about 3 quarts out no oil light or anything ever came on. Not sure if it is leaking, burning or walmart screwed up since they did it last time. Should we start putting together a petition for chrysler to find out whats going on. I never heard of newer model vehicles loosing so much oil as me and others are experiencing. 1.5 quarts per 1K miles is ridiculous on rateher new vehicles. I never lost any on my TJ and I only changed it about every 5K miles
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode