Hard Top Lift - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 11:56 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Hard Top Lift

(Sorry for the crappy camera phone pics....)

Well, my plans for a "stand" for my hard top never really materialized. Mostly because as I was walking through Princess Auto here in Edmonton a few days ago I saw a $99 120V electric 400lb winch.....soon as I saw it, I knew the hardtop was going vertical.

Now, I didn't want to get too crazy on the mounting as we are going to move this year, so with that in mind...here is the end result. Total cost was around $140.00

First shots....the hard top lifted up and secured. The electric winch is mounted to a 6' piece of chain link fence pipe. Next trip to the hardware store, I will add the decorative end pieces to the end of the chain link pipe...this will prevent any accidental slipping of the straps off the end.

The mount in the ceiling is a massive eye-bolt I found, which is supported up in the rafters by 2 2x6's laid across 4 rafters. Eye-bolt is connected to a big piece of threaded rod.

The thick yellow straps are 2000# lift straps I found at Princess auto (got 4 straps for $16).

The orange straps are my safety straps I have attached to some other existing ceiling hooks just screwed into the ceiling joists in case the winch or any other primary lifting component should slip/break. I think I will also throw a safety chain on the eye-bolt/metal bar just for total/complete piece of mind too.

The weight of the top is actually supported by the 2x4's I have lag bolted to the existing holes in the hard top (tightened very gently - in fact, they are actually loose) and then those 2x4's are screwed to the three 6' 2x2's. So, there is virtually no pressure applied anywhere on the top....the sides of the hard top are held to a fixed distance apart etc so they can't twist, bend etc. The entire weight is lifted by the straps on the 2x2s. The 2x2's also act as a shelf I will put the hard top panels on as well.

Lastly....I ran into one problem I never thought of until I tried the lift and the top was shifting all over the place. Because the winch is not really connected by any hard fasteners to the top, as the top lifted, the slightest change is balance would amplify and the entire top would go out of balance and was unstable. To solve that problem, I just threw a piece of old foam padding in between the winch/bar and the hard top. It protects the top, but also the friction it creates prevents the top from "shifting" side to side and it keeps it all in balance. A couple more straps also could have done the same thing to prevent the lateral movement.

When we move, I just unscrew the big eye-bolt from the threaded rod, and take the whole thing with me.....

I aint going back up in that attic.....even with a good dust mask, I am still coughing up dust balls!

Grant

Last edited by Grant_T; 03-26-2010 at 12:03 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 12:28 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

good job
post #3 of 4 Old 03-26-2010, 09:03 PM
Rock God

I don't know.. you are putting a lot of faith on those 'bike hooks', and they could slip off even though they are backup. I would have used eye bolts if I were you. Also, why screw the hard top down? its not going anywhere pinched off on either end with the webbing- more work than is necessary.
$140 seems expensive for solutions i've seen cheaper.

JMHO..

Good work on a DIY though

~ Clam

Last edited by The Clam; 03-26-2010 at 09:07 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 Old 03-27-2010, 08:38 AM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Clam View Post
I don't know.. you are putting a lot of faith on those 'bike hooks', and they could slip off even though they are backup. I would have used eye bolts if I were you.
Good point.....while it is highly unlikely they would slip off, if I see some better eye-bolts I'll swap them for the bike hooks or just slide the loop in the straps directly over the bike hook. The bike hooks were already there (I need somewhere to put my bikes in the winter) and the secondary straps were an afterthought. But, it just dawned on me that when I take the hard top down, I can strap my BIKES to the lift and then winch them up to the ceiling...so I don't really need the bikes hooks any more either. That will add to the overall cool factor!

Quote:
Also, why screw the hard top down? its not going anywhere pinched off on either end with the webbing- more work than is necessary.
Actually the top is not held in there very securely at all by the webbing. It is really just resting on the wooden frame. You would have to have been here to see how unstable it was before I added that foam in there....originally, it was pretty wobbly having the winch in that "floating" position, so securing the top earlier on was a concern.....not so much now....

Also, drilling 4 holes and screwing in 4 lag bolts was not really *more work than necessary*. 5 minutes for some extra security for a $1500 top is OK by me. I am mister overkill for most things....like using 4 - 2000lb straps to hold up a 100lb top!

Quote:
$140 seems expensive for solutions i've seen cheaper.
Yeah, I could have used a hand winch, or just had a couple friends help me lift it up to the boards held up by some rope....would have cost about $5, but since when does anyone here care about throwing $$ at their Jeep. Besides, the "cool" feeling of pushing the button and watching the top go up and down is well worth it!!

Quote:
Good work on a DIY though
Tks....

Last edited by Grant_T; 03-27-2010 at 08:41 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode