Car Washes and Hydrolocking - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:02 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

Car Washes and Hydrolocking

Howdy!!! I recently purchased a new 2010 Unlimted Sport and it's an absolute blast to drive. However, upon perusing this forum and others, it appears that JK's are prone to engine hydrolocking with the least bit of water. With that in mind, just how safe would it be take mine through a car/truck/Jeep wash that sprays H2O from ALL angles (esp. from underneath)?

BTW, the primary use of mine shall be ranch roads, pastures, and Padre Island.

Your advice is most appreciated.

Thanks!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:04 PM
JKO Addict!

hahahahahhaah

you should be fine in a car wash

oh and welcome to JKO

Yes, but there's just something about him. Something around the eyes, I don't know, reminds me of... me. No. I'm sure of it, I hate him.
-Doc Holiday
Why are you highlighting my sig? You Bastard!
post #3 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:07 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to JohnnyWalker

I have a hard top and stay the hell away from carwashes. They hydrolock my freedom panels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotlime? View Post
Did you just search for "gay" or "halo" and bump those threads?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:11 PM
Granite Guru

I have a K and N intake and have been through the car wash even with getting the underneath sprayed...I have had no problems. But if you get your car dirty enough those drive through car washes are crap. Grab a hose and some nice wax and have yourself a fun day.
post #5 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:18 PM
JKO Addict!

These are NOT prone to hydro locking. No more than any other vehicle. It just gets a bad rep because a few people have posted about their problems. Nobody post when they go through water and don't hydro lock.

Marc
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2007 2 door Rubicon ROCK KRAWLER - POYL PERFORMANCE - RIVER RAIDER - POISON SPYDER - BILSTIEN - PITBULL - ACE - SMITTYBILT - BLACK ROCK - SUPERCHIPS - SPIDERWEB SHADES

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #6 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:24 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage
Send a message via AIM to paramaniac

before adding the stinger hoop (and realizing how bad the actual car wash is for my soft top) i made numerous trips through the car wash, even with a CAI... never had an issue. now i go to the DIY car wash, still no problems.

the guys that Hydro their engines are driving through VERY deep water, sucking in said deep water to their intakes or making a wave big enough to cover the hood and again, the water is copious.

ask hotrodtinker, he can tell you all about it

Last edited by paramaniac; 03-25-2010 at 06:32 PM.
post #7 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM
JKO Addict!

people have hydrolocked thier JK while washing it?

how the hell did they do that? Stick the garden hose in the intake? Rinsed it off by using a swimming pool?

Dude, to ease your mind, I am running a open element air filter and have no fender liners at all and I have never "hydro-locked" my JK. And to the people that have "hydro-locked" thier JK with a car wash I would really like to see proof because I do not think they know what "hydro-locked" is
post #8 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:26 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

I've taken mine through several deep puddles with no problem either, but, I crawl through the water. Fortunately, there wasn't any traffic around me, just a muddy dirt road.
post #9 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:35 PM
Rock God

Like everyone else said. I even pressure wash the inside of my engine while it is running. I stay away from the intake but a car wash is fine.
post #10 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:39 PM Thread Starter
Granite Guru

To one and all, thanks for the input!!!
post #11 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 06:40 PM
Rock God

THIS IS FUNNY, i think i have too many

JKOutcast Member
post #12 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 07:10 PM
Rock God

I own a full automated car wash with detail bays. The car wash track is 100 feet long and in its glory days was one of the largest car wash around capable of washing over 1000 cars a day (its got a lot of water spraying arches ).
Anyways... i wash my 2009 JKU Rubicon about once or twice a week depending how dirty it gets. It gets pre-wash everything before i send it down the track. If i went wheeling ill be underneath with the high pressure gun till its clean enough to eat off of.
My jeep currently has front and rear bumpers with winch, 2" lift and i have the freedom hardtop.
So far no issues

09' White JKU Rubicon with some stuff

Last edited by Chris85xlt; 03-25-2010 at 07:12 PM.
post #13 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 07:22 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPCattleCompany View Post
To one and all, thanks for the input!!!

Welcome to JKO! Don't let some of these assholes have you scared to ask questions. That's how new folks learn things.. Glad to have you here!

post #14 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 07:55 PM
Granite Guru

Hydrolock. What?

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. You might meet em both if you show up here not welcome, son" - Josh Thompson.
post #15 of 31 Old 03-25-2010, 07:59 PM
Rock God

Probably oughta get a snorkle so's you can keep your Jeep all shiney.

BEER Helping me do stupid things to my JK since 2007!
post #16 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 06:37 AM
Rock God

Wait, you guys wash yours? Mine is covered with the last two snow storms leftover ice and mud. I might get to wash it in May sometime.

2009 JK Rubicon Unlimited. Rock Hard skids, Skidrow Control Arm Skids, Shrockworks bumpers. Pro Comp 2" Puck Lift.
post #17 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 07:15 AM
Rock God

Garage

I "hydro-locked" mine once in a car wash! The guys at the end of the line were really pissed when it came out all wet and the door was locked!. I had to go home and get the spare keys so they could move it!
post #18 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 07:30 AM
Granite Guru

Hydro what?!! x2

https://www.jkowners.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25734

But, that was as deep as I pushed it though.

2010 Sahara Unlimited & a 1998 TJ - See my You Tube channel
post #19 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 07:54 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

I've never read any stories of hydro-locking in the car wash. I've used the automated wash a few times without issue.
Quote:
Originally Posted by usmcdoc14 View Post
people have hydrolocked thier JK while washing it?

how the hell did they do that? Stick the garden hose in the intake? Rinsed it off by using a swimming pool?

Dude, to ease your mind, I am running a open element air filter and have no fender liners at all and I have never "hydro-locked" my JK. And to the people that have "hydro-locked" thier JK with a car wash I would really like to see proof because I do not think they know what "hydro-locked" is
lol Doc

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSUjeepguy View Post
Welcome to JKO! Don't let some of these assholes have you scared to ask questions. That's how new folks learn things.. Glad to have you here!
We don't have assholes here

........My other hobbies include: Older cars and trucks; Spending money on unfinished projects, and continuing to not finish them...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExWrench View Post
For my money, the most notable part of this thread is all the fallout from bsack's fortune cookie factory explosion.
post #20 of 31 Old 03-26-2010, 09:13 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Kickerman View Post
Wait, you guys wash yours? Mine is covered with the last two snow storms leftover ice and mud. I might get to wash it in May sometime.
liar .. there is no snow where you live.

OH.. and back on topic.. I only know 1 person who's hydro locked..sorry bastard

~ Clam

Last edited by The Clam; 03-26-2010 at 09:34 PM.
post #21 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 05:58 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Many puddles and many washes ...never hydrolocked. I think it's a trollers urban legend.

My Build Thread ~

NE Trail Ride Thread ~

Want Jeep Mods? Marcus Has It!! ~ River City Offroad
Adrenaline Offroad
~ Best Jeep shop in the Washington DC area!![/COLOR]
post #22 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 09:30 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by gold knight View Post
I've never read any stories of hydro-locking in the car wash. I've used the automated wash a few times without issue.
lol Doc:
Seriously how in the world did the OP come up with thinking a Jeep could would or might hydro in a car wash

Speed thru puddles is what is hydrolocking most JK's and no its not 3-4ft deep puddles doing it to most, its maybe 1-2ft for most that I have read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #23 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 09:35 AM
Rock God

As much fun as this was it nearly hydrolocked me. I had been through this many times slowly with no problems...even backwards...but this time I wanted to make a splash. Never again...until I have snorkle.

After going through that the engine started to sputter and shake really really hard. Knowing what was about to happen and how screwed I would be if I let it die I shifted into neutral and reved the engine for a few minutes and it seemed to do the trick. I got lucky...very very lucky.
post #24 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 10:49 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertisce View Post
After going through that the engine started to sputter and shake really really hard. Knowing what was about to happen and how screwed I would be if I let it die I shifted into neutral and reved the engine for a few minutes and it seemed to do the trick. I got lucky...very very lucky.
Why would you be screwed if you let it die? The running really rough and sputtering could have been from getting water in the intake. What you should have done was shut the jeep off right away and check the airbox to make sure it was dry. Revving the engine could have blown it up if you did have water in there. The running rough could have been from getting everything wet under the hood but dont take that chance next time anyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancin Dan View Post
A Jeep just zipped past my house and I could swear I heard the driver yellin:

"The tkob is coming!! The tkob is coming!!"
post #25 of 31 Old 03-27-2010, 11:46 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

i go thru the automatic car wash couple times a month but its only to see if i fixed the hardtop/door leak , so far no luck , it still leaks

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode