Buying a Winch 101 - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 02:24 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to Big A
Buying a Winch 101

OK...

I have decided that a winch is going to be my next purchase, And i have decided on the Warn Powerplant HP.

I currently have the Shrockworks Mid-Width, And i am torn between getting the Shrock Aluminum Fairlead and synthetic line (for alot more $$) for getting the roller Fairlead and using the steel line.

Since this is my first winch ever, I need to know all the hidden costs associated with making it fully functional

I found a good price on the PowerPlant http://www.jeeperz-creeperz.com/warn...c2c2500ab99515

Can someone make a complete checklist of everything needed?

(Maybe this could be incorporated into a 4 Wheelin' for Newbie's topic)

Thanks!

Adam

Phase 1 Complete. Sold JK
Phase 2 Complete. Bought a Tow Rig
Phase 3 on-hold. Buying a trail rig. Thinking a TJ or XJ
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Rock God

Send a message via Yahoo to vegasjeep

Well with your Synthetic fairlead and synthetic rope that will be all you will need. You will be good to go. I would recommend a thimble on the end of your rope though.
post #3 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 06:18 PM
Rock God

go synthetic with aluminum fairlead all the way! The weight drop alone is so much better. When i got the rope the total package weight for the rope, aluminum fairlead and hook weighed 12 lbs. When I shipped the old roller fairlead it weighed 16 lbs. No clue how much the cable weighed but it was not light to carry around in a bundle.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

2006 LJ - current
2007 4dr Rubicon - sold Project- JK
2007 2dr X - sold JK-forum
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 06:45 PM
Openly Hostile

It's also a good idea to get a recovery kit going - tree saver, line extender, tow stap, snatch block, couple extra D-rings, good set of leather work gloves. With your power plant also need an air hose of course.

Jason
post #5 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Granite Guru

I broke the roller fairlead and bunged up the cable on a rock on my Powerplant on my Shrockworks bumper. I switched to rope and a hawse fairlead so it would not stick out so far.

BTW, I love my Powerplant. It is so nice to be able to air up the tires quickly at the end of trail. I find I air up a lot more at the end of the day then I used to. Sure makes driving a lot easier with the tires aired up!

peter

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #6 of 19 Old 07-13-2008, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Thanks guys!

I am placing my order in the morning.

What diameter rope should i get? I think 100 feet is going to be plenty

And whats a thimble used for?

Last edited by Big A; 07-13-2008 at 09:23 PM.
post #7 of 19 Old 07-14-2008, 12:17 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I ended up buying directly from Shrockworks! They are such awesome people!

Warn Power Plant W/ Steel cable and roller fairlead

Amsteel Blue 5/16 synthetic rope

Shrockworks Aluminum Fairlead Black Anodized

$1566 shipped

Thanks guys!

post #8 of 19 Old 07-21-2008, 11:55 AM

Note: With the 3/8" rope, you can NOT use the standard Warn snatch block, it must be the heavy duty red pulley snatch block, about $130 compared with the $65 model.
post #9 of 19 Old 07-21-2008, 08:45 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazer4949 View Post
Note: With the 3/8" rope, you can NOT use the standard Warn snatch block, it must be the heavy duty red pulley snatch block, about $130 compared with the $65 model.
I think he said 5/16. Just my two cents after the fact I would have said stick with the steel for one reason. You are going to drag the cable over rocks and cross it up when reeling back in and it will get destroyed but I would rather destroy the steel wire and replace with rope rather than destroying the nice rope. Just a thought Enjoy!

2008 Stone White 2DR X
Cutsom TJ front 2" springs with 2 spacers
Teraflex rear 3" 4dr. springs heated so they actually sit 3" on my 2dr
Custom rear shock mounts
285x75 R16 Treadwright MTRs Yeah they rock soon to be 315x70 R16
Xenon Narrow Flares
Woods Steering Stabilzer Bracket
Teraflex rear driveline
Mopar Frt bumper made Stubby
KC Slimlites
Bikini Top
Custom exhaust - Flowmaster single chamber with Woods tail pipe
Lots of Beer Consumption
post #10 of 19 Old 07-21-2008, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

I have thought about that as well...

I will either un spool the steel line and sell the roller and line for a fair price, Or just keep the rope and aluminum fairlead put up in storage.

What would be a fair asking price for the steel line and roller considering it's new and never used?

post #11 of 19 Old 07-21-2008, 09:05 PM
Rock God

A lot of guys are going with Smittybuilt winches because they are just as good if not better than warn and they only cost $300 bucks. Hundy said he knows a guy whos powerplant broke the air compressor and they wouldn't warranty it.
I'll be getting a stubby bumper and smittybuilt winch for $600 bucks in a few weeks. And I don't mind using a separate air compressor. Too bad you spent all that money for an over rated name brand.

post #12 of 19 Old 07-21-2008, 09:18 PM Thread Starter
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billy_Goat View Post
A lot of guys are going with Smittybuilt winches because they are just as good if not better than warn and they only cost $300 bucks. Hundy said he knows a guy whos powerplant broke the air compressor and they wouldn't warranty it.
I'll be getting a stubby bumper and smittybuilt winch for $600 bucks in a few weeks. And I don't mind using a separate air compressor. Too bad you spent all that money for an over rated name brand.

Yup... Too bad for me...

post #13 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 05:54 AM
Rock God

[QUOTEA lot of guys are going with Smittybuilt winches because they are just as good if not better than warn and they only cost $300 bucks.][/QUOTE]

There is no comparison between a warn and a smittybuilt. Smittybuilt is fine for the price but it is super slow. The warn is a lot faster and from experience more reliable. Smittybuilt is a rebadged milemarker.
post #14 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 05:57 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
...Too bad you spent all that money for an over rated name brand.
Allot of money sure. Overrated no way. I don't think anyone that knows anything here needs to defend the fallacy of that statement.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
post #15 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Garage

To add....unless spooled back perfectly, the steel line can end up w/ signifigant "crimping" issues (from future loads). My cable is in great condition...up to the spot where it didnt wind up tight against the rest of the spool. The "crimp/ kink" is bad enough that i dont want to use it any more than ness. The only remedy...is to shorten the cable by about 20 feet...(just behind the affected area). Next cable will be synthetic. Also...the steel cable (unlike the synthetic) may cause serious injury or death if it fails.

Last edited by StubEXrube; 07-22-2008 at 06:36 AM.
post #16 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 07:07 AM
gcg

I agree that the synthetic line is the way to go. For me, the safety of the synthetic is a huge plus and it's a whole lot easier to handle.

I have the Warn PowerPlant HD and really like it. The compressor is first rate and airs up my 35's from 10 psi to 33 psi in about 2 minutes each. My old QuickAir II on my XJ used to take about 5 minutes each to air up my 31's from about 15 psi to 30 psi. And the Warn compressor is a lot quieter, too.

My only concern on the HD is that it is pretty slow. If I were to do it over again I'd probably go with the HP instead of the HD.
post #17 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 02:17 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by igofshn View Post
[QUOTEA lot of guys are going with Smittybuilt winches because they are just as good if not better than warn and they only cost $300 bucks.]
There is no comparison between a warn and a smittybuilt. Smittybuilt is fine for the price but it is super slow. The warn is a lot faster and from experience more reliable. Smittybuilt is a rebadged milemarker.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info.
I nearly faint when I see Warns prices.
post #18 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 02:26 PM
Rock God

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgrt View Post
Allot of money sure. Overrated no way. I don't think anyone that knows anything here needs to defend the fallacy of that statement.
Since I'm in the market for a winch I've been doing a lot of research and asking every one I know so I'm just going by what others have told me. I'm sure you get what you pay for. I just think when you buy a Warn you are paying extra for the name.
post #19 of 19 Old 07-22-2008, 02:39 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Since I'm in the market for a winch I've been doing a lot of research and asking every one I know so I'm just going by what others have told me. I'm sure you get what you pay for. I just think when you buy a Warn you are paying extra for the name.
Of course you are and that's natural. Warn has spent a long time building up a reputation in the industry. Some other companies not so much so they have to price accordingly. I'm sure there are other factors like the made in the USA point that comes with an added cost. That said, if there wasn't a quality aspect that people see then they would be forced to bow to competitive pressure.

2007 JK Rubicon
Clayton Offroad 3.5" | 35" Nitto Mud Grapplers | Cragar Soft 8s | JE Reel 1350 drive lines | Alloy USA front axle shafts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode