Sahara or Rubicon? - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 03:28 PM Thread Starter

Sahara or Rubicon?

Looking to trade in my WK2 for a JKU. I like the bells and whistles on my WK2 so I need to choose between the Sahara and Rubicon all loaded up. Unfortunately, I spend a good 95% of my time on the highway with the occasional trip down some dirt and sand trails. No real need for crawling abilities. I will be adding a 2.5" lift and 35's pretty much right away. No, they're not necessary, I just like the look. I know the 4.10's of the Rubicon are probably my best option for the 35's, but the local dealers are flush with Saharas and very few Rubicons around, so I could probably get a better deal on a Sahara.

Just looking for some opinions or guidance from those who know.

Will the 3.73's and D30's on the Sahara be ok for the type of driving I do?
Will I get better mileage with the 35's with the 3.73's or 4.10's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 03:40 PM
Granite Guru

Based on what you wrote the Sahara is a no brainer. Drive it with the stock gears, replace if you don't like it. EZ PEEZE.
post #3 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 03:51 PM
Granite Guru

Sahara all day for you.

Also, I believe the axle ratio is still 3:73 for Auto (4:10 for manual) on the Rubi...something to consider.

I had 3:73 and 35" tires and highway was about 15mpg from the dash and 13.5mpg in town. Can't comment on the 4:10's as I went to 4:56.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 04:03 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by LepreCon View Post
Sahara all day for you.

Also, I believe the axle ratio is still 3:73 for Auto (4:10 for manual) on the Rubi...something to consider.

I had 3:73 and 35" tires and highway was about 15mpg from the dash and 13.5mpg in town. Can't comment on the 4:10's as I went to 4:56.
The standard gears for the Rubi with auto are 3.73. The 4.10's are an option. The Sahara has 3.21's standard with the 3.73's as an option.

I'll spend some time at the dealership tomorrow and see what's available.

That mileage, was that the 3.6L with auto? And how was the performance? Ok, or sluggish?

Last edited by FreeJersey; 04-09-2015 at 04:05 PM.
post #5 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 04:12 PM
Granite Guru

3.6L. I have to drive about 10 miles of highway, 65mph-75mph speed limits to get into town and when I drive it to work, its 35miles of highway each way.

Highway driving was fine, no complaints at all. In town, a little sluggish.

If I didn't have plans to go with 37" tires in the near future, I would have kept the 3:73's. Not my daily driver.
post #6 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. This will be my daily driver, about 50 miles a day.
post #7 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 04:36 PM
Wheeler

Go with Sahara better price and does the job.

Thanks
Guls
post #8 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 04:48 PM
Rock God

Garage

I love my sahara! Just like you I hardly ever go off road. I got the 410 gears and a manual trans, haven't been able to justify the lift and tires yet.on my 3rd set of used stock tires. You know what? I've been stuck once! Drifted into a snow bank goofing off, shoveled for 45 minutes,out. I am very impressed with how far I can go in the woods alone. So ya go buy a Sahara get last year's beat the crap out of them on the price. My dealer just sent me a card begging me to trade my 07 in, they are desperate.
post #9 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 05:00 PM

If you think you are going off road at all and would ever want lockers? Get the Rubi. I had the same question and bought a '13 Sahara. I wish I had bought the Rubi but pretty soon I'll have lockers. It's a trade off.

Jimbo
True Blue JKU '13
post #10 of 21 Old 04-09-2015, 06:03 PM
Granite Guru

In your situation the Sahara seems to fit the best. If possible try to get the rear Trak-Lok diff option.

Your fuel economy will be better as long as you don't have a heavy foot with 3.73 gears but performance will be noticeably lower although not intolerable for many.
post #11 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 06:35 AM
Granite Guru

you wont like having 3.73 with 35" tires. My wife's 2013 had that combo and it didn't like to stay in overdrive so the gas mileage suffered and it was always shifting. I recently had 4.10 installed and so far so good. Mileage is back up. Keep in mind that if you don't go with the rubi and end up lifting it you might want gears and that will cost a grand or more. The rubicon does come standard with 3.73 now and 4.10 is an option, I can't remember if it cost more for that option or not

2007 rubicon unlimited
post #12 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

Dropped off the WK2 for oil change and sway bar issue. Walked into the showroom and sitting there is a Sahara in anvil with a 2.5" lift and 35's. It was kind of light on extras, but looked pretty damn good. I started reading the window sticker and was shocked to see that it had 3.21's. I was then very disappointed to find that every 4 door on the lot had 3.21's. Was informed by the salesman that they don't get any with 3.73's and never have Rubi's on the lot. I would have to order one to get what I want. I'm going to check around at a few other dealers to see what's around. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to order one the way I want.
post #13 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 08:01 AM
Rock God

Garage

If you can get a better deal on the Sahara go for it, and use the money you saved to re-gear so that you're happy.

2008 JKU Rubicon. 2.5" Rock Krawler Stock Mod lift, 35x12.50x15 Cooper STT's on Pro-Comp D-windows, 5:13 gears, Uconnect Microphone mod, Husky Floor Liners, Mastercraft Grab Handles, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, Hitch mounted D-Ring, Rancho Oil Pan Skid, Skid Row Evap Can Skid, and a Rugged Ridge Front Skid. Solid Diff Covers front and rear. Rock Slide Engineering Sliders.
post #14 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 08:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJersey View Post
Dropped off the WK2 for oil change and sway bar issue. Walked into the showroom and sitting there is a Sahara in anvil with a 2.5" lift and 35's. It was kind of light on extras, but looked pretty damn good. I started reading the window sticker and was shocked to see that it had 3.21's. I was then very disappointed to find that every 4 door on the lot had 3.21's. Was informed by the salesman that they don't get any with 3.73's and never have Rubi's on the lot. I would have to order one to get what I want. I'm going to check around at a few other dealers to see what's around. I have a feeling that I'm going to have to order one the way I want.
If you are going to order one...why not the Sport and order the the specific items you want... The Sport is even less than the Sahara. I had the Sahara (upgraded to Rubicon) and mine had the fancy stitched seats, the aluminum fenders, and the cheap plastic side steps other than that it was pretty much the same as the Sport.

Tammy
post #15 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 08:52 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
If you are going to order one...why not the Sport and order the the specific items you want... The Sport is even less than the Sahara. I had the Sahara (upgraded to Rubicon) and mine had the fancy stitched seats, the aluminum fenders, and the cheap plastic side steps other than that it was pretty much the same as the Sport.
The Sport does not have many of the options that are available in the Sahara and Rubicon.

I actually like the side steps on the Sahara, to bad they are plastic, if they were steel, that would be great.
post #16 of 21 Old 04-10-2015, 09:35 AM
Rock God

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeJersey View Post
The Sport does not have many of the options that are available in the Sahara and Rubicon.

I actually like the side steps on the Sahara, to bad they are plastic, if they were steel, that would be great.
If you are not wheelin' then it's no biggie on the step. Mine broke when I went out on the rocks... They are not very sturdy for off roading. I liked my Sahara she was really good as my DD. GOOD LUCK!!

Tammy
post #17 of 21 Old 04-11-2015, 02:16 PM
Granite Guru

I know you say you aren't into heavy wheeling, but I learned long ago this Jeep thing is like a growing cancer.

My advice is go Rubicon with 4.1 gears. I think down the line you MAY find even these gears aren't enough with 35's. You will be geared lower(you may be happy with 4.1, I wasn't), have a lower transfer case ratio, and get the front and rear lockers with the Rubi. I am taking the gamble that the odds are greater you will regret the Sahara than they are you will regret the Rubi.

My opinion.

2013 JKR, Auto, Yukon 4.56, Goodyear MTR/K 35/12.5/17 on XD222 KMC Enduro Beadlocks,Teraflex Big Brakes & Spare Carrier, Warn RC Winch, Metalcloak Front & Rear Bumpers, Metalcloak Overliner Flares & Front Inner Fenders w/ Corner Guards/Tail Lamps, Metalcloak Game Changer 2.5" w/6-Pac's, ARB Diff Covers & Onboard Air, AFE High Tuck Muffler, Front Lower Control Arm Skids, Artec Aluminum Skid System, Poison Spyder Hood Vents, Ripp SC.

There are no winners here; just beguiled participants
post #18 of 21 Old 04-17-2015, 09:31 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Personally, I'd get the Sport instead of the Sahara. Those matching fenders are gay as shit. If you have the cash, get the Rubicon because if you're not keeping it for a long time, the resale will be MUCH better.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Granite,
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, ProComp 7069 17x9, Cooper STT Pro 37's, Warn M8000, ACE ProSeries Bumpers, RROR Skids, Poly Tie Rod and Drag Link, Ten Factory Chromoly Rear Axles
post #19 of 21 Old 04-17-2015, 10:04 AM
Rock God

Garage

3.73 would be fine. My wifes Sahara has 3.21s turning the nitto terra grappler 325s, so a very big 35. They measure out at about 36 x 13.5 r17.

We always planned to regear it but have decided not to bother. Still plenty of go.

It's not used for crawling at all though. But then it's an auto so still wouldn't bother.

Fwiw, my stick rubicon didn't feel right with 4.10s till I had 35s.

Unspoilt by progress.

Last edited by gnarlyswine; 04-17-2015 at 10:08 AM.
post #20 of 21 Old 09-18-2015, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeep Momma View Post
My wife had a white 13' JKU Sahara auto and we wheeled it a bit in northern Colorado and put miles on it, had about 30k when we traded it in for a 15' Grand Cherokee Altitude (20" black rims) she likes that alot better with it's bells and whisles. The 3.73 gears were nice in the 13' jku.

I almost took over the payments but didn't like the white as much. The 3 piece hardtop is nice tho.

I bought a stock Anvil blue Sport 15' jku with auto, ac, roll up windows and 3.21 gears.
Easy to build them up when you save so much from buying a fully loaded Rubicon and/or Sahara!
I got mine with tax and everything out the door with a few miles for $28k.
Lifting it 2" TF BB and 15" soft 8s on 35" BFG ATs.
Probably get 4.56 gears for it. I didn't even like the 3.21 gears with the small 29" tires on the sport 16" rims...went to Moab 17s and 32" BFG MTs...not planning on 2" BB and 35s. I don't want to mess with the exhaust spacer at 2.5"+ lift so keeping LCG for now.

I added the 17" Moab rims with 32" BFG MTs for $250 for 5 on craigslist and $120 for the side steps (super cheap $ for ad ons but there is so much plastic on the JK kinda makes me sick)

I'm on the lookout for Anvil blue Sahara flares if they ever show up on craigslist for a reasonable price! :-) I guess I'm making my cheap Sport more Sahara/Rubicon like BUT not bought from the dealer that way LOL

Last edited by bigredjeep1; 09-18-2015 at 03:25 PM.
post #21 of 21 Old 09-19-2015, 08:15 AM
JKO Addict!

Garage

off topic here but are you wanting brand new? if not i have a rubi that im looking at trading on a wk2 . pm me if its something you would be interested in

'92 YJ
'13 WK2
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode