One more reason to love my JK - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 01:17 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

One more reason to love my JK

It was sunny this morning so I decided to put my top down. While driving I-90 through Issaquah, WA, I looked up and saw a bald eagle flying overhead. With a roof up there, I never would have noticed. Love my Jeep!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 01:19 PM
Official Monkey Business

Garage
Send a message via AIM to TEXASKEV Send a message via Yahoo to TEXASKEV

Yeah, top off is the best. That's why when asked I tell newbs to go softtop for the easy (well, sort of easy!) up and down. I drop the top every chance that I get

08 2Door Red Rubicon. Rock Krawler 5.5 Longarm Coilover, Polly rear Coilovers. AEV hood & wheels, 37"KM2s, JE Reel 1350 shafts, 5.38 Yukon gears, Superior axles, Shrockworks stubby, Fab Fours rear, sPod, Rebel Offroad brakes, Warn winch and lots more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-24-2010, 02:17 PM
Granite Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXASKEV View Post
I drop the top every chance that I get
Ditto!

2012 JK Rubicon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 07:59 PM
Granite Guru

i agree i have had my jeep all of a week today and have had the front top off(its a 3 piece hard top) i think 5 days, needles to say i need to find a way to keep my hat on or but sun block on my head, lol, so how often you keep the doors off, they seem a little more work to get off.
post #5 of 12 Old 04-02-2010, 08:13 PM
JKO Addict!

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by cntryislandboy View Post
i agree i have had my jeep all of a week today and have had the front top off(its a 3 piece hard top) i think 5 days, needles to say i need to find a way to keep my hat on or but sun block on my head, lol, so how often you keep the doors off, they seem a little more work to get off.
i stopped and bough t a hat on the way home its was a 2 hr drive my head was burning.
top and doors off at 65 mph its stays on when its turned around

Everyone else can BLOW themselves cause im bad as FUCK!
post #6 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 12:40 PM
Rock God

Just took the top off of mine about an hour ago after finishing up my hoist and stand to sit it on. I wear one of those hats that look fitted but are stretch fit, it stays on with the top and doors off for me.

Its cool the things you will notice with the top off thats for sure.
post #7 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 12:52 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
They make butt sun-block???

Yep- it's just a great feeling to have it off- especially when driving through the woods. I love looking up and seeing nothing but sun, sky, clouds, and trees overhead. How cool to see a bald eagle in the wild. I've only seen two- One in Louisiana around Toledo Bend, and the other on a kayaking trip down the Colorado river just north of Bastrop.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #8 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 02:02 PM
Wheeler

Removed the hardtop and doors this weekend, makes driving it a dream. Folks look at ya like they wish they could so the same with their Honda's and Toyota's. Gotta love a JEEP. (really pisses off the FJ owners)

post #9 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 02:17 PM
Rock God

Kick ass, I am guilty of leaving the front 2 pieces on most of the time for sun/rain protection and dont get the totally topless view enough. Im not a hat guy so I dunno how else Id protect my face from the sun.

Side note, with the back of the top and doors off with just the freedom panels on, I dont get rained on much while driving, unless its a hard-driving sideways rain anyway. And my backseats are garage accessories so, if you had people in the back they'd probably be pissed for getting soaked while you remain dry.

Quote:
so how often you keep the doors off, they seem a little more work to get off.
More often than not mine are off. I just took off the bolts (theyre actually female so probably not technicaly a bolt?) and put em in a bag of misc Jeep take offs in the garage.

Then all you do is pop off the quick disconnect wire thing, unhook the nylon strap (realizing that now the door can swing all the way out and give you the dimple alot of these guys have) and lift. Easy. Not sure how much heavier the doors with power locks/windows are, but my manuals are pretty light, no hassle.

nah nah nah nah nah nah, I made you eat your parents - E.Cartman

Last edited by MaRShiN; 04-04-2010 at 02:20 PM.
post #10 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 09:45 PM
Super Moderator

Garage

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaRShiN View Post
Kick ass, I am guilty of leaving the front 2 pieces on most of the time for sun/rain protection and dont get the totally topless view enough. Im not a hat guy so I dunno how else Id protect my face from the sun.

Side note, with the back of the top and doors off with just the freedom panels on, I dont get rained on much while driving, unless its a hard-driving sideways rain anyway. And my backseats are garage accessories so, if you had people in the back they'd probably be pissed for getting soaked while you remain dry.

More often than not mine are off. I just took off the bolts (theyre actually female so probably not technicaly a bolt?) and put em in a bag of misc Jeep take offs in the garage.

Then all you do is pop off the quick disconnect wire thing, unhook the nylon strap (realizing that now the door can swing all the way out and give you the dimple alot of these guys have) and lift. Easy. Not sure how much heavier the doors with power locks/windows are, but my manuals are pretty light, no hassle.
A lot heavier than my old TJ/ LJ doors- but not difficult at all- just a bit more cumbersome.

Yep- got it- both sides so at least it matches.

They're the nuts, that screw onto the door bolts. Yes- for some reason everyone calls them bolts- don't know why.

You can leave the nuts off. I took mine off 3 years ago and have never put them back on- lots of freeway driving too. The doors aren't going anywhere without them- unless they are stolen. Takes me less than 5 minutes to remove both doors. As stated, just pop out the power window/ door lock harness connector, take the strap off the peg thingy, open the door, and lift it up and off.

If you have power windows, it is much easier to roll the windows down (in order to grab the door better) BEFORE disconnecting the harness- lol.

Poly Performance - Dynatrac - Currie - Goodyear - Poison Spyder - Warn - PSC - AEV - Reid Racing - Off-Road Evolution - Flowmaster - Delta - Riddler - Micky Thompson - Daystar - Skid Row - Uniden - Rebel Offroad - Firestik - Warrior Products - Viair - HiLift - ARB - Kicker - Infinity
post #11 of 12 Old 04-04-2010, 09:47 PM
JKO Addict!

I've had my top down for about four weeks or so, before that I had to put it up for two days of rain. Had it off for about 7 weeks. Lovin it! Sometimes the wind kinda gets to me, but then i think of the 110* summer that will be here before I know it. Enjoying all i can!

SOLD - '09 2dr Rubicon - 1.0Gal | 6spd | 37s | 4.88s |
| OR-Fab cage | Poly Cage | BFH Front | XRC Rear | XRC12 Winch | Walker Evans Beadlocks |

Retired from the Jeep community, for now.
post #12 of 12 Old 04-06-2010, 10:05 AM
Granite Guru

Quote:
so I got a spiderweb top for that reason...lets in plenty of sunshine but keeps the sun from pounding on your face/head. Easy to install and just as importantly very easy to uninstall so if I want the top truly off takes 30 seconds. I also like that you can fold the soft top right over the spiderweb top without having to really do anything if it starts to rain really hard.

2009 JK Sahara - 35" BFG KM2s, 3" Teraflex with Bilsteins, Yukon 5.13s, AEV 17" Pintlers, AEV Front Bumper with IPF 900s, Tabor 9K Winch, OR-Fab Rear Tire & Gerry Can Carrier, Delta 150 Windshield Mounted Lights, Tuffy Rear Deck Enclosure, Tuffy Underseat Security Drawer, 48" Highlift, AEV Procal, Rugged Ridge Mirror Relocation Brackets, SpiderWeb Sun Top, HighRock 4x4 Element Doors, more to come
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode