Unerasable Check Engine Codes - JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 Old 04-07-2015, 09:30 PM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Unerasable Check Engine Codes

I have a 2010 Jeep Wrangler with a recently rebuilt engine. Need to go get emissions done, but Colorado won't pass it without the check engine light being off. The check engine codes that come up are P0340 - Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit AND P0562 - System Voltage Low.

My question is, has anyone experienced these codes and what did you do to fix them or make the light turn off? I have tried disconnecting the positive terminal and holding it to the negative for 30 seconds to reset the ECU and still nothing. Have also used Autozones scanner as well as a friends Mac Tools scanner. Neither scanner can clear the check engine light. I have also tried disconnecting the battery and leaving it overnight as well. Any ideas or suggestions would be much appreciated! Would like to not have to take into the dealer if at all possible!!!!

I have also replaced the battery to a optima Yellow Top and power is no issue. (headlights, radio, power windows, etc. all function as normal)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 04-08-2015, 03:41 AM
Rock God

Garage

It sounds like you need to check the electrical connection to the camshaft sensor, and/or replace the sensor itself. With the engine rebuild, it's likely that it didn't get hooked up, or was damaged in the rebuild. You cannot clear the code, because as soon as you do, the ECU detects the problem again within a fraction of a second, and illuminates the check engine light again.

I no longer have a Jeep with the 3.8 engine, but hopefully, one of the other guys will be along to help you figure out where the camshaft sensor is and what it looks like so you can check it.

In the meantime a quick google for check "Jeep jk camshaft sensor" or "replace Jeep jk camshaft sensor" might get you on the right path. just make sure it applies to the 3.8 engine in your Jeep and not the 3.6 in the 2012 and newer ones.

Good luck.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
post #3 of 5 Old 04-08-2015, 03:44 AM
Rock God

Garage

For the low system voltage, start with the alternator. Most parts shops will test it for free.

_
'76 CJ-7, '43 CJ-2a, '78 Bronco,'78 CJ-7, '75 CJ-5, '78 CJ-7, '80 CJ-7, '78 SJ, '79 SJ, '78 and a '76 FJ-40 , '90 XJ, '91 XJ, '86 CJ-7, '95 ZJ, '68 CJ-101 Commando, '00 TJ, '68 M-715, 2 '86 Military Blazers, '96 LR Discovery, '86 CJ-7, '91 YJ, '99 TJ, 07' JKU Rubi, 1988 YJ, 1973 Commando, 3 Diesel Excursions....
Now back to a 2013 JKU Rubicon with "stuff", planning 37's with minimal lift.

I've tried them all... Jeeps are still the best. (0||||0)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 Old 04-08-2015, 05:41 AM
Rock God

On my 3.8l Rubicon I had an alternator with a bearing that started making noise. I got a check engine light for several different items. I do not recall the exact codes any longer but because the bearing was making noise I just bought a new unit and put I. I want to say it was about 4 bills and none of the parts stores stocked them. Most cold order them in but were talking a week plus to get it. I ended at the one dealer ship I wish to give no money to because they were the only one that had it setting on the shelf.
post #5 of 5 Old 04-08-2015, 06:53 AM Thread Starter
Wheeler

Ok thank you, I will try taking the alternator in first and see what they say.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JKowners.com : Jeep Wrangler JK Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode